Old Adventures You're Thinking of Converting?

JoeGKushner

First Post
One of the things I think 4e will be good for is adapting earlier adventures to the new system.

One I'm thinking of is the old fun Trouble At Grog's. A fun little bit.

Agamon

Adventurer
Agreed. I'm getting rid of my 3e rulebooks, but the adventures, including my Dungeons, are still prized possesions. Still have all my BECMI, 1e and, yeah, even the 2e adventures (the maps were good....)

It's not Dungeon, but I think I'd like to give Expedition to Castle Ravenloft a go eventually (wouldn't fit well in the current campaign, though).

Lancelot

Adventurer
I've been finding the early Dungeon 1e/2e adventures to be ideal fits for the new 4e ruleset. Curiously, they convert much better to 4e than they ever did to 3e.

In 1e and 2e, you had comparatively fewer magic items and more monsters per encounter. Old classics like Keep on the Borderlands had a dozen or more monsters in "common rooms". Few of these monsters ever owned (or used) magic items, and the classic trove might have a handful of items.

In 3e, *two* orcs were a challenge for a 1st level party. Keep on the Borderlands became a 6th level adventure ("11 bugbears?!? We're in trouble, guys..."), and all those acolytes in the temple of chaos were "supposed" to have +1 maces, 2x potion of cure mod wounds, etc.

...and now 4e brings it full circle again. Many monsters, few magic items. I've been finding that the older modules convert over nearly perfectly. The last couple weeks, I've been running a 2e Dungeon module for low-level characters. It featured, among other things...

* A gargoyle
* A pack of 5 worgs (which became grey wolves)
* A climactic encounter with a witch and 20 goblins (minions)

That would have been nearly impossible to translate easily in 3e. The damage reduction on the gargoyle would have annihilated a 1st level party, and there's no way they could have handled 20 goblins. But in 4e, it's easy to total up the XP for each critter... and figure that they're all pretty much balanced. A 4e gargoyle is 400XP and makes a good (but tough) solo creature for the party. The goblins come in at 25XP each, with the witch adding another 100-150XP. As for magic items, there were 3-4 listed in the entire module, which also translated well. The witch didn't have 3e "level-appropriate" NPC gear; she just had a few random items sitting in her hut. Most 1e and 2e modules are the same.

I'm in no hurry for a 4e adventure path from any of the mainstream publishers, nor do I intend to convert 3e adventures in the near future. I reckon that the 1e/2e Dungeon modules will keep us busy for months.

Psion

Adventurer
I've been finding the early Dungeon 1e/2e adventures to be ideal fits for the new 4e ruleset. Curiously, they convert much better to 4e than they ever did to 3e.

In 1e and 2e, you had comparatively fewer magic items and more monsters per encounter.

I think Quasqueton pretty decisively debunked the commonly held notion that there is less treasure/magic in 1e than 3e by his series of threads contrasting which items actually showed up in adventures for each.

Kesh

First Post
I'm not digging through my Dungeon collection to find it, and it's not very old, but there was one recent issue with an adventure focused around the Yellow Sign and a performance of The King In Yellow. That would be a great adventure to have some time late in the campaign, after having played Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams from #155.

Yeah, I suppose that's a bit of a spoiler :D

Arawn76

Explorer
I'm toying with converting Warlock of the Stonecrowns, not a great adventure but I always felt that with a little work it could be.

I'm definitely converting Falcons Revenge (& sequels), first time we played this trilogy we had a blast. Time to turn back the clock.

diaglo

Adventurer
One of the things I think 4e will be good for is adapting earlier adventures to the new system.

One I'm thinking of is the old fun Trouble At Grog's. A fun little bit.

using it for OD&D right now. i converted it back in 1986.
Grog the Half Ogre has played a major role in the campaign of sorts.

mevers

First Post
Stap

I'm converting the entire Savage Tide adventure Path to 4th ed for my next campaign.

I've always been much better with the crunch than the fluff, so I basically intend to strip out most of crunch, keeping the fluff, and then rebuild it all using 4th ed crunch.

It looks like the hardest thing is going to be creating new monsters.

GAAAHHH

First Post
The Murder of Maury Miller (Dungeon #57) is my favorite dungeon adventure. This would be perfect for the start of a 4th edition campaign.

Remove ads