pitch me a characer build

irdeggman

First Post
Races of Stone.

Goliath (+1 LA but - +4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con) and has Powerful Build (so buy a large greatsword and kick butt.

Go with Barbarian racial substitution levels from same book.

Mountain rage - instead of normal rage actually increase in size (so gain reach) and an additional +2 Str when raging.

Gets fortification instead of uncanny dodge

Gets Skin of Stone DR/adamantium (2 instead of 1 and increases at the same rate as DR but with an extra "1")

Kmart Kommando

First Post
8th-9th level, no changelings, I don't think races of stone is approved, and the goliath is too cheesy for my taste.

by 'works all day' I mean at-will powers, passive powers or anything out of the PHB is fine.

I've played a duskblade, it was boring, and a reach fighter (psy-war actually, different game) and got bored with him quickly, even with point buy, he was a one-encounter one-trick pony, then a crappy reach fighter after that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
and a reach fighter (psy-war actually, different game) and got bored with him quickly, even with point buy, he was a one-encounter one-trick pony, then a crappy reach fighter after that.

One-trick pony? Maybe, but its a good trick...esp with a PsyWar who can Expand 2 size levels.

I don't know why you'd consider them crappy, though. With the right build, you get AoOs when they enter your threatened area, AoOs when they try to leave, and you may even be able to prevent them from moving at all. And most Polearms do good damage. Some even let you do special attacks, like Trips.

Control of the battlespace does not suck, at least in my book. As always, though, YMMV.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
One-trick pony? Maybe, but its a good trick...esp with a PsyWar who can Expand 2 size levels.

I don't know why you'd consider them crappy, though. With the right build, you get AoOs when they enter your threatened area, AoOs when they try to leave, and you may even be able to prevent them from moving at all. And most Polearms do good damage. Some even let you do special attacks, like Trips.

Control of the battlespace does not suck, at least in my book. As always, though, YMMV.
the game I in which I was playing the Psy-War, the DM liked to do everything he could to make any special abilities or tactics any PCs have become completely useless.

Take Elusive Target = you get bluffed instead and never get flanked again.
Use reach = all encounters are flying spellcasters/guys with more reach/etc.
play a swordsage with Desert Wind fire damage maneuvers = everything is immune to fire.
you buff up = every fight starts with npcs casting Disjunction on you.
that sort of thing..:hmm:
it was a running joke that all special abilities worked once.
and only once.

green slime

First Post
I'd actually like to play a beguiler... but I'm wierd like that.

Anyhow.... there isn't much info to go on.

You could always go Fighter (1) /Wizard (6) / Eldritch Knight (n), and go the archery route.

You get haste, greater magic weapon, and flame arrow via your spellcasting, so can concentrate on putting other interesting abilities on your bow. You aren't quite at the level where it all starts coming together: you have still got a few levels of development potential ahead of you. With a high Dex, and good Str, you'll be hitting often enough to make it count. And you get to have a bushell full of scrolls to help pull you out of sticky places.

Go for a high dex race.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
I might be able to use the tactical feats from tome of battle, so a TWF fighter might be viable via Stormguard Warrior, and giving up iterative attacks with both hands as touch attacks for more damage the next round.

while it might tick off the other players a bit, something with Improved Sunder and Combat Brute, and an adamantine greatsword might be fun. sure, I'll be chopping up good treasure, most of it would just get sold for half gold anyway. :eek:

I had a warblade/bloodclaw master that was just an awesome version of Belkar. Have to save that one for another game. :.-(

Shin Okada

Explorer
I've played a duskblade, it was boring,

On what aspect you felt Duskblade as boring? That class is very versatile. Quite opposite of one-trick pony. Can do both melee and ranged spell combats well, and also has many spells to move around the battle field (thus, you can use it tactically). Can be playable through 1st-level to 20th unlike fighter/mage prestige classes. Actually much better in melee comparing to a psychic warrior who has only descent BAB. At every level gets something new (new spell, new class feature, etc.). Not as entire-day-buff-dependent nor recourse-dependent as other casters or psionic characters.

I am curious what kind of characters you like and what kind of characters you do not like.

Starbuck_II

First Post
the game I in which I was playing the Psy-War, the DM liked to do everything he could to make any special abilities or tactics any PCs have become completely useless.

Take Elusive Target = you get bluffed instead and never get flanked again.
Use reach = all encounters are flying spellcasters/guys with more reach/etc.
play a swordsage with Desert Wind fire damage maneuvers = everything is immune to fire.
you buff up = every fight starts with npcs casting Disjunction on you.
that sort of thing..:hmm:
it was a running joke that all special abilities worked once.
and only once.
Simple change tactics. You shouldn't over specilize. Specalize into a tripper and than plan for him to fly: than punish him (or the monsters) for it.
After all, if you know that is what he does... shouldn't you plan for it?

Best thing about psionics: they can choose energy type so immunity is much harder to do.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Simple change tactics. You shouldn't over specilize. Specalize into a tripper and than plan for him to fly: than punish him (or the monsters) for it.
After all, if you know that is what he does... shouldn't you plan for it?

Best thing about psionics: they can choose energy type so immunity is much harder to do.
one problem with 3.5 is, except psionics, being a generalist = mediocre = less effective in combat. even the 'versatile' wizards' spellbooks and prepped spells tend to converge on the same few really effective spells.

I don't think that, just because a player takes a set of feats, he should be able to use them all the time, to the point that monsters stupidly play into his hands, but when every NPC comes equipped with max ranks in Knowledge (PC abilities), and their Knowledge (Nature) rolls consist of '...these creatures are Kevin McTripsky and Steve Sunderini, with feats blah, blah, blah, blah, and blah, don't go near them', then something isn't right.

Shin Okada

Explorer
If you want to shoot attacks of various energy type, warmage do much better. They have variety of non-spell-resistance attacks, too.

Psionic powers need to be augmented to roll maximum number of dice. It is like you always need 5th-level spell slot to shoot a 10 dice fireball, while Sorcerers and Warmages can automatically shoot 10 dice attacks with their 3rd-level spell slot if their caster level is 10th. So psionic characters tend to burn up their power point pool really fast.

Remove ads