Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
I think it's more of a "game mechanics first" design at play here. They wanted a critter that would serve as a waterskin, plain and simple.

Making up explanations for some of the monsters' weird traits is part of the fun of D&D. :)

If you want to develop some of the rest into flavor text, I'm not opposed.

I'd leave it as "speculation among the learned" rather than giving a straight-out answer.

Since great glacier fish "All reproduce by laying thousands of tiny eggs" I doubt it's some kind of freshwater pouch-brooding, and it's a very inefficient means of buoyancy compared to a regular swim bladder.

Maybe they actually were engineered to be living waterskins?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It could be that the eggs need freshwater to germinate before being laid. The engineering bit is also a good speculation.

Cleon

Legend
It could be that the eggs need freshwater to germinate before being laid.
That sounds like their milt is killed by saltwater, but we probably don't want to spell it out. :blush:
The engineering bit is also a good speculation.
Yes, it does beg the question of why they didn't create a plant that grew water-filled fruit instead. You'd think that'd be easier.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated. Good enough?

Here's the next one to start thinking about...

Black Burner
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Arctic oceans, rivers of the Great Glacier
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
ORGANIZATION: Solitary or small school
ACTIVE TIME: Any
DIET: Scavenger
INTELLIGENCE: Non- (0)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
NO. APPEARING: 1 or 3-12 (3d4)
ARMOR CLASS: 8
MOVEMENT: Sw 9
HIT DICE: 1-2 hp
THAC0: 20
NO. OF ATTACKS: Nil
DAMAGE/ATTACK: Nil
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: T (1-2’ long)
MORALE: Unreliable (2)
XP VALUE: 7

The black burner is not a fish. It is actually a small marine mammal. With its chubby black body, puckered blowhole, and wide mouth, the black burner looks exactly like a miniature whale. The black burner has skin instead of scales, and secretes oil through tiny pores. Oil covers the entire surface of the black burner, preventing it from freezing when removed from the water.

If the corpse of the black burner is ignited, it burns steadily for 3-12 (3d4) hours, providing light and warmth equivalent to a small camp fire. Alternately, about a cup of oil, which can be burned later as fuel, can be drained from a black burner corpse.

Originally appeared in FR 14 - The Great Glacier (1992).

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds about right.

To jazz it up a bit, perhaps the oil makes it flammable, even in water. To take that a step further, make a swarm of 'em, and once they catch fire give them additional fire damage until they die. :devil:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, I can get on board with a burning swarm of these guys! Now we just have to figure out how to tempt PCs into burning swimming fish... :devil:

Cleon

Legend
Updated. Good enough?

You know, I've just realized the water in the bloatfish's bladder remains liquid even when the fish is frozen. It must contain some sort of antifreeze!

I think I'd like to point that out in the entry, and mention its "unique body chemistry".

How about changing the text to:

A bloatfish is a raylike fish found in cold waters. It is highly prized by fishermen, for in addition to its savory flesh, its balloon-like organ is filled with water which remains fresh and liquid, even if the bloatfish is frozen solid, due to the fish's unique body chemistry. A bloatfish corpse holds fresh water equivalent to a waterskin, a small hole can be punctured in the fish and the water sipped freely. Sages speculate that bloatfish were engineered to be living waterskins, but no definitive proof supports such claims.

Cleon

Legend
Uhh, downsize a porpoise or seal? Then just add an SQ about burning it?

I've asked this question several times already, but do we have 3E stats for a seal, officially or otherwise?

Anyhow, I think a Porpoise or Whale is a better fit, since they are described as miniature whales.

EDIT: I'll post a first draft, using a Porpoise shrunk to Tiny as a basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads