Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like +8 to Hide and +4 to the other three, but would be OK halving the racial bonus to +4 for all four.

I'm fine with the former.

Evenly divide the SPs between those 4 skills?

Sure.

Don't like Ability Focus for them, they've already got pretty good DCs for their likely Challenge Rating.

How about Force of Will or Hostile Mind?

I'm OK with dropping Ability Focus, but it feels odd to give them anti-psionic feats when they have no ties to psionics themselves. I fear most DMs would want a non-psionic alternative, so we might as well do it for them.

Cleon

Legend
I'm OK with dropping Ability Focus, but it feels odd to give them anti-psionic feats when they have no ties to psionics themselves. I fear most DMs would want a non-psionic alternative, so we might as well do it for them.

I'm open to alternatives.

Shade

Monster Junkie
If you want to stick with "off the beaten path" feats, perhaps Open Minded?

For more standard feats, Dodge, Improved Initiative, or some skill-boosters?

Cleon

Legend
If you want to stick with "off the beaten path" feats, perhaps Open Minded?

For more standard feats, Dodge, Improved Initiative, or some skill-boosters?

Open Minded would be the best way of expanding its skills, maybe give them 5 ranks in Intimidate?

If you don't like that I'd go for Improved Initiative of those alternatives.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Fish of the Great Glacier
The oceans and rivers of the Great Glacier teem with a wide variety of aquatic life, including several unique species of fish.

The species discussed below are all 2 feet or less in length; the tiny crystal nipper rarely exceeds a quarter of an inch. All thrive in the icy waters of the Great Glacier.

Combat: None of these fish are aggressive; all swim from danger as fast as possible. Even the deadly crystal nipper and spiny sleeper are passive, posing a threat only to the careless or unlucky.

Habitat/Society: All of these fish tend to organize themselves into schools of various size. None are particularly territorial, swimming freely throughout the rivers and seas of the Great Glacier. All reproduce by laying thousands of tiny eggs.

Ecology: The fish subsist on waste matter, plankton, or whatever other organic matter they can scavenge. All are edible by humans and quite delicious, though some, such as the spiny sleeper, must be handled with caution.

Bloatfish
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Arctic oceans, rivers of the Great Glacier
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: School
ACTIVE TIME: Any
DIET: Scavenger
INTELLIGENCE: Non- (0)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
NO. APPEARING: 10-40
ARMOR CLASS: 9
MOVEMENT: Sw 6
HIT DICE: 1 hp
THAC0: 20
NO. OF ATTACKS: Nil
DAMAGE/ATTACK: Nil
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: T (1-2’ long)
MORALE: Unreliable (2)
XP VALUE: 7

The bloatfish resembles a white manta ray with a balloon-like organ swelling from its belly. The diameter of the balloon organ is equal to or slightly larger than the length of the fish. The balloon organ is always filled with water, and because of the fish’s unique body chemistry, the water is always fresh. Fishers lucky enough to catch a bloatfish sometimes carry the frozen corpse with them, sipping fresh water from its balloon organ by puncturing a hole in the side of the fish. When the balloon organ is empty, the fish makes a satisfying meal.

Originally appeared in FR 14 - The Great Glacier (1992).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads