Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
I like those proposed stats for 'em.

Added to Homebrews.

I'd rather stick to standard rake, and just note in tactics when they tend to use it. Suggested rake damage? 3d4 is alot. A dire tiger only does 2d4+4!

You mean keep them additional attacks? I suppose that'd be alright, but I'd prefer an alternative attack, something like "Raking Talons" (see below).

As for the damage, a Dire Tiger's claws are woefully underpowered. Still, 2d4+2 ought to be enough for the gaund methinks.

Raking Talons (Ex): A gaund can use its powerful hind legs to attack an opponent it is grappling, making 2 claw attacks with a +6 melee attack bonus for 2d4+2 damage. Gaund can only make raking talon attacks when in a grapple, they are unable to attack with their hind legs in other circumstances.

If I persist long enough maybe you'll learn to love exception-based design :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
Nope, I mean give 'em standard-in-all-ways rake, and note the likely usage in tactics. I guess we'll wait for freyar to get back to break the tie. :(

Cleon said:
If I persist long enough maybe you'll learn to love exception-based design

Persistence if futile. :p

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's the beauty of post editing. ;) :p

I have to go with Shade here, since I'm not even sure of the difference. According to the SRD, rake attacks only apply in a grapple anyway.

Cleon

Legend
That's the beauty of post editing. ;) :p

I have to go with Shade here, since I'm not even sure of the difference. According to the SRD, rake attacks only apply in a grapple anyway.

Well basically the original goes claw/claw/bite/tail in regular melee or rake/rake in a grapple, but Shade is wanting claw/claw/bite/tail/rake/rake in a grapple using the normal 3E rake rules.

I don't mind giving it standard rakes, but if we do I'd rather they just did the gaund's regular claw damage (1d4+1) rather than the inflated amount (1d10+1 or 2d4+1?) of the original, since it's still got its regular full attacks.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The most feared attack of the gaund is the gaze or “ray” attack it can make with its central eye. This orb is protected by a bony hood which limits its field of vision so the gaund must aim its head to use the gaze. The gaze produces a magical effect identical to the 2ndlevel clerical heat metal spell upon any one opponent or object within a range of 90 feet. This gaze can be used against one creature per round and is in addition to its normal attacks. The ray attack can be countered by any means effective against the spell.

This isn't really a standard gaze attack. I'd make it an Su ray attack as a swift action, range 90 ft. Maybe something like this:

Heat Beam (Su): A gaund may make a ray attack against any creature within 90 ft as a swift action. If the target is carrying or wearing metal objects or armor, those metal objects are affected as by a heat metal spell. A DC X Will save negates the damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
This isn't really a standard gaze attack. I'd make it an Su ray attack as a swift action, range 90 ft. Maybe something like this:

Heat Beam (Su): A gaund may make a ray attack against any creature within 90 ft as a swift action. If the target is carrying or wearing metal objects or armor, those metal objects are affected as by a heat metal spell. A DC X Will save negates the damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

That looks fine to me except I would add "Once per round" at the start. As written it could shoot multiple heat beams in a round, which doesn't fit the original.

Also, should we add "and heat beam +X ranged touch (special)" or something similar to its attack and full attack lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads