Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I was thinking the "excellent hearing, and great sensitivity to vibrations. This prevents them from being effectively blinded by exposure to light or darkness, or by the obscuring effects of smoke or vapors" suggests tremorsense or blindsense, probably the former.
I'd agree to tremorsense based on that, sure.

Cleon

Legend
The Original Hendar

I happened to be looking up the Azmyth's original writeup in Dragon Magazine #90 It's in "Bats That Do More Than Bite" by Ed Greenwood) and noticed the article includes the Hendar!

This 1st edition version has a few salient differences from the Monstrous Compendium one.

1. It's spelled "Hundar" rather than "Hendar" and also has "Horse-Bat" as an alternative name.
  2. They do not lose AC or take damage from drying out.
  3. They actually take damage from silver - "The touch of silver is corrosively poisonous to them, and they avoid it. A normally harmless blow from a hurled object of silver, or a handful of silver coins, might do a hundar 1-2 points of damage, and all silver weapons do double damage to them."
Maybe we should add it as a variant?

Hundar
This subspecies of hendar is not as susceptible to dehydration as a regular Hendar but is violently allergic to silver. Take a Hendar, remove its Moisture Dependence special quality and add the following:

Vulnerability To Silver (Ex): A hundar takes 50% extra damage from silver weapons. Hundar are burned by skin contact with silver, taking damage for every round of contact (1d2 damage for 10 or more silver coins or a small silver object such as silvered manacles, 1d4 damage for a large silver object like a chandelier or 20-lb statue, maximum of 2d4 damage for complete coverage by pound of silver dust or the like).
I also wouldn't mind adding mention of Horse-Bat in its Realms entry:

In the Realms
Hendar are only found in the middle reaches of the Sword Coast, usually never farther south than Amn or farther north than Luskan, and on the northern coast of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Hendar are often called "Horse-Bats" in the realms.
I suppose it might be too late, since they're in the Creature Catalog already.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
On the Hundar/Hender, I think Shade can modify the CC entry. You might also want to notify Echohawk about the other reference.

Cleon

Legend
On the Hundar/Hender, I think Shade can modify the CC entry. You might also want to notify Echohawk about the other reference.

I'll post it on Paging Echohawk and see what happens.

Echohawk's spreadsheet has The Dragon #90 version, but spelled Hendar "Horse-Bat" instead of Hundar "Horse-Bat".

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, I can modify entries once they've gone in, so I'm happy to add "horse-bat" in the next time I'm making modifications (takes note).

I don't think the other bits are interesting enough for a variant, though.

Fixed Silver Dog.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I can modify entries once they've gone in, so I'm happy to add "horse-bat" in the next time I'm making modifications (takes note).

I don't think the other bits are interesting enough for a variant, though.

Fixed Silver Dog.

OK, it's no big deal.

Shall we get back to the Gaund.

The rake attacks seem to be unusual in that the Gaund can only use them when it is grappled or pinned.

For ability scores, I'm thinking we could modify the SRD Gargoyle since they have similar HD and attacks.

Gargoyle: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 7

The Gaund is described as constantly leaping about in combat, so it may have a higher Dex, but 14 is already pretty good. Maybe just swap its Str around?

They've got average human intelligence, so I'd stick a 10 there.

The gaze attack is probably Charisma-based, so that needs increasing. Maybe 11 like the SRD Basilisk?

That would give:

Str 14, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11

Hmm, that Con seems awful high, maybe switch a couple of points to Charisma to help its gaze DC?

Gaund: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 13

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like those proposed stats for 'em.

Added to Homebrews.

I'd rather stick to standard rake, and just note in tactics when they tend to use it. Suggested rake damage? 3d4 is alot. A dire tiger only does 2d4+4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads