ERB-Barsoom-John Carter of Mars

JeffB

Legend
Besides the old rare TSR wargaming rules, and the SPI game from the late 70s, are there any RPGs based on Barsoom? I've been dying to run something since I re-read the books recently.

I'd prefer something D20, but I'm interested in anything and everything.

Mods-please move if this does not go in general :)

Mars is a well-supported d20 game from Adamant Entertainment. It's written by Lizard, who also created the amazing "Iron Lords of Jupiter" for Dungeon back when it carried Polyhedron.
Either "Iron Lords" or "Mars" would fill your needs.

JeffB

Legend
Mars is a well-supported d20 game from Adamant Entertainment. It's written by Lizard, who also created the amazing "Iron Lords of Jupiter" for Dungeon back when it carried Polyhedron.
Either "Iron Lords" or "Mars" would fill your needs.

Ahhh. Thank You! I was trying to recall that Poly mini game from way back when, and just could not remember the title. :D

As a quick aside; Mars is not exactly Barsoom. Rumors I heard were that there were some legal issues that Adamant decided not to bother with with the ERB estate, so instead of making it Barsoom, it's a very close and similar cousin to Barsoom. With a little bit of H. G. Wells War of the Worlds thrown in for fun.

The basis of the game is d20 Modern. I've got it on pdf (I think he was selling it way cheap on March 4th or something like that, and that's when I picked it up) and I think it's really, really good.

I'm a fan of lizard's writing on planetary romance, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It isn't specifically Barsoom, or d20, but Space: 1889 (available on Amazon) could work well for many such stories.

JeffB

Legend
The hardcover for MARS is more than I wanted to spend for a "side trek", but it sure does look like an awesome product. Maybe for my B-day ;)

I'll try and track down a copy of Dungeon/Poly with ILOJ on ebay or something (as well as take a look at S:1889, thx Umbran)

BlackMoria

First Post
There is an ENworlder called Barsoomcore (I think that is the correct name) who ran a long time Barsoom D&D game. If he still lurks around, maybe he can give you some ideas on what he was done for his campaign.

S'mon

Legend
I bought Mars and personally wasn't impressed. Huge font. Most of the book is a reprint of the d20 Modern SRD. The map is very poor; the background notes very sketchy. Only 6 monsters. Very 'unfinished' looking art, and not my style at all - faces very unattractive. Some good stuff from Ian Sturrock but unlike say his OGL Conan I didn't feel there was enough there for me to run a game.

Remove ads