ERB-Barsoom-John Carter of Mars

JeffB

Legend
I can see I need to put my spirit of the century review up in the review section.

For now, look here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4142199-post1.html

Though I understand the version of FATE used by MARS might be a bit closer to another game called Starblazer Adventures.

Hwong Hwei :p

Interesting- did not know FATE was based on FUDGE. System sounds like something I would enjoy (as does SOTC- huge fan of Pulp RPGs)

Anyone know what system GDWs S:1889 is based on ? Is it Traveller based? T:2000? I saw a copy on Ebay and from the blurb on the back it also sounded like a good option.

Too many choices. Looks like I need to do some pondering. Or start hinting about B-day presents a couple of months early :angel:

There is an ENworlder called Barsoomcore (I think that is the correct name) who ran a long time Barsoom D&D game. If he still lurks around, maybe he can give you some ideas on what he was done for his campaign.
Yeah, well... no relation to Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom, though. Other than a few rather superficial similarities.

Doesn't mean it doesn't look like a stupendous game, but it's not what the OP is looking for either.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Iron Lords of Jupiter was awesome! Just thinking about it, and the whole run of Polyhedron mini-games, makes me smile.

My sub had lapsed right before time ILOJ came out, unfortunately.

I remember Erik Mona getting a TON of flak about the inclusion of the poly mini games and it made for some big arguments here on ENWORLD. I do believe that I gave him a bit of flak as well re: the mini games. The general gist of the arguments of those who were complaining was that the mini games made less room for adventures. Erik fought hard in favor of them.

I actually enjoyed several of them-The D20 pulp game, for example. However there were a few really silly ones- There was one that was like Scooby Doo Ghost Hunters and another like Dukes of Hazzard meets Smokey and the Bandit...those were the ones that got my (and I suspect most people's) goat.If they could have kept out the silliness, I think there would have been much less complaining, though Erik may or may not agree.

All in all those were great times for D&D, and the mags. In retrospect, I feel we were in a much better position then, than we are now (and I'm a 4E fan!)

ackkk..hijacked my own thread :rant:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Hwong Hwei :p

Interesting- did not know FATE was based on FUDGE. System sounds like something I would enjoy (as does SOTC- huge fan of Pulp RPGs)

Anyone know what system GDWs S:1889 is based on ? Is it Traveller based? T:2000? I saw a copy on Ebay and from the blurb on the back it also sounded like a good option.

Too many choices. Looks like I need to do some pondering. Or start hinting about B-day presents a couple of months early :angel:
Space: 1889 had its own system. It was not complex, but I don't have it anymore and never got to play it (darn it), so that's all I can really say about it. Well, other than that it was Victorians on Mars rather than Barsoom.

I've had an itch for months now to make a 4E Burroughs style setting/campaign.

Getting the projectiles right is a little difficult without generous amounts of handwavium.

Which is probably how Burroughs did it.

Psion

Adventurer
Incidentally, I will be running my FATE/SotC adaptation of Iron Lords of Jupiter at the upcoming fall NC and DC gamedays, if anyone wants to try it. Or just want to have fun.

I decided to adapt ILOJ to fate after I ran MARS at gencon last year. I decided that D20 modern really didn't satisfy me for the system. I eventually decided to try Iron Lords of Jupiter using the FATE version presented in Spirit of the Century. And for my money, I felt it ran a lot smoother, and handled the enthusiatic heroism of the setting, better than D20 Modern worked for MARS.

For folks still interested in the D20 Modern version, MARS did have some interesting things in it like the stunt point rules.

Tancread

Explorer
Not a roleplaying system, but a nice miniatures game set in a Barsoom like Mars is Parroom Station which if nothing else would be a good place to look for miniatures. The sculptor/author is Bob Charrette, author of Bushido and Aftermath back in the day and a former Ral Partha sculptor.

S'mon

Legend

Space: 1889 has a d6 based system resembling simplified Traveller. The system is generally not well regarded but the book has very nice fluff/flavour, and far more background than Mars. Many people run it with an alternate ruleset. Savage Worlds or at a pinch d20 modern would work well.

Last edited:

Remove ads