ERB-Barsoom-John Carter of Mars

JeffB

Legend
This is great info from everyone. Thank you all for the advice so far.

While I'm exploring options, has anyone done anything with True20 in this genre?

CreativeMage

First Post
We're a new indie gaming company, working on releasing a cinematic-style RPG with Burroughs' Mars stories as the setting. As we develop the game, we're interested in input from folks who are fans of the setting as to what they'd most like to see in our core rulebook (which will be our first offering in a series of books). Any thoughts?

Cleon

Legend
We're a new indie gaming company, working on releasing a cinematic-style RPG with Burroughs' Mars stories as the setting. As we develop the game, we're interested in input from folks who are fans of the setting as to what they'd most like to see in our core rulebook (which will be our first offering in a series of books). Any thoughts?

I think it's important to include the kind of "Martian Chivalry" that appears in the books, with its emphasis on fearlessness and engaging foes in equal combat. Burroughs' Mars was a superscience setting with radar-guided rifles that could fire nuclear bullets to snipe individuals from miles away where everyone still preferred to settle their differences with the sword. Some kind of mechanical support might be in order, perhaps a "Hero Point" system where a PC accumulates beanies by acting in accordance with the codes of Martian gallantry?

CreativeMage

First Post
Cleon, I think this is spot-on: the chivalric code of Barsoom needs to be central to the game, and we are indeed planning an Honour mechanic to encourage this type of play.

For our core rule-book, we're looking at initially detailing the Red Martians as the PC race, and keeping Green Martians, Earthlings, etc, for soon-to-be-released supplements. The idea is to keep the core rule-book focussed; to get it out soon; and to give players an opportunity to explore Barsoom as a 'native' first before tackling it as an outsider.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Cleon

Legend
Cleon, I think this is spot-on: the chivalric code of Barsoom needs to be central to the game, and we are indeed planning an Honour mechanic to encourage this type of play.

I'd favor some sort of positive-reinforcement approach. e.g. if a Martian PC acts honorably they receive some kind of benefit, either immediately ("your allies are emboldened by your gallantry and receive a bonus of X") or later on ("you receive one 'Hero Point' that can be cashed in to overcome a later encounter/obstacle").

Come to think of it, that raises the question of PCs who "have no honor"? The books have quite a few honorless types in villainous roles (assassins, outcast bandits, mad scientists bent on planetary domination). A supplement were you play such a character might be interesting.

For our core rule-book, we're looking at initially detailing the Red Martians as the PC race, and keeping Green Martians, Earthlings, etc, for soon-to-be-released supplements. The idea is to keep the core rule-book focussed; to get it out soon; and to give players an opportunity to explore Barsoom as a 'native' first before tackling it as an outsider.

Any thoughts on this approach?

My first though is you'd get quite a few disappointed RPGers who want to play an Earth Man or Green Man. Plus there's bound to be a few whiners who'll complain "They're forcing me to buy supplement Y just so I can play a Y Martian".

I'd recommend including mechanical support for Green Men and Earth Men PCs in the core rules while leaving the cultural stuff for the supplements. If the game includes significant character advancement, it'd be alright to relegate those to a supplement.

e.g. The core rules could have basic and advanced PC stats for Red Men plus "how to be a native" info on Red Martian culture, together with basic PC stats for Green Men and Earth Men. Then your "Lords of the Desert" (or whatever its called) supplement can have advanced PC mechanics for Green Men plus a writeup of Green Martian culture.

CreativeMage

First Post
Indeed, Cleon, the latter mechanic you suggest is what we're going with: the reward of 'hero points' for honourable conduct, which can be spent either in times of crisis, or in situations where a PC needs a helping hand (e.g. spending a hero point in order to have a contact appear and give the PC some vital aid, ostensibly as a result of his honourable reputation).

As for playing a variety of races via the core rulebook, I take your point. Our aim wasn't to rope people in to buying a bunch of supplements, rather to get our main system out sooner rather than later. But I think your suggestion strikes the right balance: if we have enough there to play a Green man or Earthman, that might satisfy those folks who don't wish to go beyong the core rulebook. We are excited, however, about the depth we'll be bringing to both Green Martian PCs and Jasoomian PCs in further books!

Cleon

Legend
As for playing a variety of races via the core rulebook, I take your point. Our aim wasn't to rope people in to buying a bunch of supplements, rather to get our main system out sooner rather than later. But I think your suggestion strikes the right balance: if we have enough there to play a Green man or Earthman, that might satisfy those folks who don't wish to go beyong the core rulebook. We are excited, however, about the depth we'll be bringing to both Green Martian PCs and Jasoomian PCs in further books!

Sounds good!

Those three "races" ought to be sufficient for the core book. I doubt that there are that many people itching to play a Thern or Black Pirate, let alone a more inhuman being like a Kaldane or Hormad.

The first two would pretty much have the same stats as a Red Martian, though a Kaldane and Hormad would need special rules.

Remove ads