Order of the Stick: Why isn't it going 4e?

Sitara

Explorer
Any reason? Seeing as the first strip began with the 3.5 upgrade, why isn't it going 4e? Is it due to the GSL or other reasons?

It would be cool to see varuvias's reaction to realizing how nerfed he's become, Belkar's reaciton to how muchmore powerful, Durkon's reaction to being the same, etc etc.Plus imagine how much fun the marking ability can be in the strip.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Crothian has the meat of the issue. They've left the rules jokes mostly in the dust (and when they do them, I'm sure Rich will use 4e and 3e interchangeably depending upon what is funnier). The strip isn't based around rules jokes.

I also suspect that some of 4e's changes would be a bit odd for the Order. I mean, there are no bards, so does Elan go catatonic until '09? Rogues shouldn't really use bows anymore, so does Haley suddenly morph into a ninja or retcon into a Ranger? There isn't a barbarian, so what about Belkar's recent training? Paladins can't detect evil anymore, but it is well-established in the strip that they can and do.

That's way too much effort/confusion. The Order began as a 3e "campaign." It's based on those assumptions. It should probably stay 3e until it ends. Once it ends, maybe they start a 4e campaign. ;)

Derren

Hero
And imo many jokes would be harder to do as 4E is too abstract and requires a lot of metagaming anyway. SO it wouldn't be funny if the characters in the comic do it.

RefinedBean

First Post
I think the 3.5 system matches the feel of the comic a bit more than 4E. But they've already made at least one 4E joke, and I'm sure there'll be more.

Honestly, I don't give a crap so long as they bring Roy back and things can actually start MOVING ALONG.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Probably for the same reasons many people who still had 3E games running finished them out without trying to convert it to 4E, even if they planned to move to the new edition anyway.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Crothian has the meat of the issue. They've left the rules jokes mostly in the dust (and when they do them, I'm sure Rich will use 4e and 3e interchangeably depending upon what is funnier). The strip isn't based around rules jokes.
This is probably it, yes.
I also suspect that some of 4e's changes would be a bit odd for the Order. I mean, there are no bards, so does Elan go catatonic until '09?
Warlord with Wizard Training for the illusions. Paragoned into Dashing Swordsmen.
Rogues shouldn't really use bows anymore, so does Haley suddenly morph into a ninja or retcon into a Ranger?
She doesn't, her bow becomes a Crossbow :p
There isn't a barbarian, so what about Belkar's recent training?
Ranger with Barbarian Training (I mean he has worked with the WotC peoples he will know what the training feat does before we do).
Paladins can't detect evil anymore, but it is well-established in the strip that they can and do.
They can easily establish that the ability stopped functioning. Same as the beggining of the script when they learned other things changed like Baelkars weapons shrunk.
That's way too much effort/confusion. The Order began as a 3e "campaign." It's based on those assumptions. It should probably stay 3e until it ends. Once it ends, maybe they start a 4e campaign. ;)

No, it is doable. But it wouldn't be as funny as the 3.5 changes I think.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases