Monster Mash: CaBaNa vs. the dragon

covaithe

Explorer
Overall map:
CabanaDragon001.png

Closeup on your end:
CabanaDragon002.png

I put your monsters up in fairly disorganized order, but I figure it doesn't matter, since we'll have a few rounds of move actions before the fun really starts. Roll initiative for each group of identical monsters.

The dragon's init is 11, which means you'll probably go first.

Game on!

CaBaNa

First Post
Do we know what we are fighting? This so happens to be my first PBP battle as well. Any special terrain I should note? Mind if I rearrange their positions?

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
The circus of the damned begin trumpeting their way into the maze of tunnels, moaning and groaning and making a general cacophony.

Kalad the Paladin all but weeps from the pain in his mighty bum, trying to keep the clowns in line during show time is bad enough, but now being assigned to traipsing them off to feed occasionally. Unbearable!

As usual Perky the Gnome Arcanist seems upbeat about the whole of the adventure, easy for him, because if the undead clowns turn, he just sneaks away. Not like Kalad who has to wrangle...

Just now they were up to the same antics as usual.

Shifty the Adept settle's his staff on his shoulder before doing a full 360 turn, just coming wide of taking Mortimer The Mutated Thrall's head clean off, though what difference that would make... and then Shifty tromps in full funny shoe regalia as far off as he can, seemingly oblivious to the near miss, or near hit, or whatever...

The Skull Lord looked mortified however, well as mortified as a three skulled, iron tophat wearing, painted to look happy, Drum Major, can look. Hey! Don't you walk off, I saw that Shifty! You know little Mortimer can't take even the slightest bump to the head! Why if I just touched him like this, and with that the Drum Major thinks a tiny snowball into existence and flings it at one of the "Small Car Troop". The unlucky recipient of said iceball drops like a burlap sack. Well... He would do just that. Get back up Dunce, and go stand in the corner! I know you could have out thought that move... With that "Dunce" stands back up and moans like the west wind. Now I won't take that kind of back talk from you Dunce, you go stand in the corner like a good boy.
The Drum Major then gives a flashy pump of his fused bone staff and begins double marching forward. Blowing his whistle all the while.

Zingy, the Energy Mote, can't stand to be away from daddy Skull Lord, in his dire state of separation anxiety, he flies as close to the ceiling as possible and makes a bee line to get ahead of him.

Mortimer mutant thrall, the extraordinary, tap dances and sashays his way ahead of the group in his usual bid to grab the spot light. Tentacle's slapping the cold rock all the way along, and leaving a fine trail of slime that any slug would be proud of.

Ringmaster Red, or The Flaming Flier, as he was called in his youth, calls out, Now just you hold your horses you show offs, I'm the ringmaster here and I will lead. I'm off to scout the area and find the big hunk of meat we were promised. I hope it's still alive, I hate the taste of old flesh, and would hate to have another member to feed over fresh food. the "Flaming Skull" "Master of Death" speeds off ahead of the group, dimming his fiery presence, doing his best to stay hidden.

Dunce obediently begins stumping off to stand in the corner, softly groaning all the while.
The rest of The Small Car Troop begins filing after the Drum Major, in a grotesque show of skin sluffing off, and limbs making awful "I shouldn't bend this way" sounds.
After the first few stop behind the drum major the big shoed clods in the back begin shoving their way forward.
Smiling white faces, some with mandibles some without, begin scrunchy facing at each other while they resistantly shuffle forward, unable to stop the momentum picked up from behind.
They shamble about with no apparent direction after passing up the Drum Major.

Kalad slams his palm over his face, and shouts out to whatever god will still hear him, What did I do, What Did I Do!? He begins charging forward to try and wrangle the Small Car Troop clowns before they hurt themselves... or more accurately someone else.

Perky in his fabulously stylized, chunks and gore, undead make-up, begins merrily trotting along to find his place in the roving squad of carnival creatures. sticking to his Gnome roots by trying to be as stealthy about it as possible, with big squeaking clown shoes that is...

[sblock=OOC] Pact bound adept standard action quarterstaff attack on mutated corpse misses moves to C16; Skull Lord Minor action bone chilling fear on PZ1 at B12 hits, PZ1 dies, Skull Lord Minor action Skull of Deaths Command PZ1 stands at full hit point, Skull Lord runs to C17; Energy Mote takes double move to B18; Mutant Thrall Double moves to F24; Flame Skull Death Master double move to H27 and Hides;PZ1 moves to C5, the rest of the pack double moves as far forward as possible, spreading out, four taking the high fork, three taking the low fork; Kalad double moves running toward the low fork; Gnome Arcanist double moves to any legal position, and stealths.;

That's it for now, I'm having issues moving this many folks and keeping track of them with the map. Have any good advice? [/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Sorry, I typed up an answer to your questions, but couldn't post it because of all of ENWorld's server issues. And now it's at home. The basic points were:
* By making effective use of the Delay action (PHB p.288), you can effectively have your guys go in whatever order you like within your team's initiative block. So I'll take it as understood that if your zombies go before the pact adept, it's because you've had the adept delay until after the zombies' turn. Obviously the exception to this is the gibberlings; on this turn they can't act before the dragon, but after the dragon goes your whole team gets to go, and then you can (almost) stop worrying about initiative order completely.
* I'm treating this game as mostly tactical combat, with fairly light roleplaying just for fun. So you're not cheating if you take the dragon's abilities into account when determining your actions.
* Go ahead and position your guys in that hallway at the top however you like before taking your first turn.

I've not read your post in any detail yet, and I'm at work and probably won't be able to update for a bit, so if you want to change things based on this info, go ahead.

As for tips for handling this many monsters on a map... nope, no good ideas here. I'll do my best to keep it comprehensible, but it's gonna be confusing. :)

CaBaNa

First Post
The only thing I'll change to my first turn, so as to keep some sense of continuity for myself and because I enjoyed it, is that Shifty the Pact Bound Adept will also use Dragons Grace on Kalad the Paladin before moving. Giving him resist 10 to cold damage until encounters end.

I've decided to print out my stat blocks, and take physical notes on them. That should help me with my turns from here on out.

covaithe

Explorer
The circus howls and lurches, mostly forward.

Through the tunnels comes a deep, rumbling voice. "I hear you, lesser beings. I come." The walls shiver as the dragon forces his way through the narrow tunnels.

[sblock=dragon actions]Move: to X24/Y25
Standard: sub for move, squeeze into X25, moving to X28
Minor: none
[/sblock]

Initiative

Shifty the Adept 58/58
Skull Lord 45/45
Zingy the Mote 1/1
Mortimer the Thrall 1/1
Ringmaster Red 128/128
Pack Zombie 1 1/1
Pack Zombie 2 1/1
Pack Zombie 3 1/1
Pack Zombie 4 1/1
Pack Zombie 5 1/1
Pack Zombie 6 1/1
Pack Zombie 7 1/1
Pack Zombie 8 1/1
Kalad The Paladin 54/54, 10 cold resist
Perky the Arcanist 46/46
Dragon 408/408, squeezing
Gibberling Bunch 32/32 <== You're up

[sblock=map]
CabanaDragon003.png
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
The Gibberling Bunch Band, makes an awful noise, that can only be described as pain. They surge forward at top speed to lend their support to the rest of the circus.

Shifty, noticing the reproach from Lord Skull, and hearing the rather grumpy food, fails to steady his nerves. He marches toward the beast that may provide a nights reprieve from slop duty, ducking into a shadow, Giving a loud honk of his red nose. Then does his trademark bow and shift to let The Small Car Troop pass by.

The Drum Major double whistle's and spins his Bone Staff. I'm supposed to lead the parade! He then marches to the front of the line and starts down a path he deems they should follow.

Zingy follows along happily dodging the staff and darting every which way along with the whistle.

Mortimer begins dejectedly shambling in the direction the Drum Major showed, once passing the Drum Major, it's all break-dancing (flailing tentacles and slinging gobs of filth) until he finds a nice spot to stop and strike his best B-Boy pose.

Red, now barely shedding light, sneaks into a side passage to await the food, he gets ready to call in the clowns in case he can cut off the meals escape.

Kalad calls out You Small Car Troop, buddy up, nobody lose your buddy, we don't want another incident like the orphanage do we? DO WE? A loud moaning wail escapes everyone but Dunce. Honkers and Sqeekers run on ahead. Bends and Breaks walk after them, remembering how lucky they were last feeding... Criss , Cross , and Applesauce start heading off, Criss and Cross ditch applesauce when he isn't looking and he end's up wandering off in another direction...

Kalad stumps off in the general direction of everyone else. He gets himself ready to wallop the heavily painted, heavily perfumed, dead folk back outside if this turns out to be a decent sentient being...

Perky walks the long way trying to get a good angle on what could be ahead, shoes making loud echoing wallop sounds along the way.

[sblock=OOC] Gibberling Bunch double move, runs to D20;
Pact Bound Adept fails to recharge power Roll lookup double moves to D28 stealth check and minor action shifts to E29;
Skull Lord double move to I26;
Energy Mote double move to I25;
Mutant Thrall double move to K21
Fameskull Death Master moves to L24 passing by I22/K22 22 stealth, Ready action Call of the Grave, if opportunity to cut off dragons escape;
PZ7 double move runs to K29,
PZ4 double move runs to K30,
PZ2 double move to F28,
PZ3 double move to J28,
PZ5 double move to H26,
PZ6 double move to F27,
PZ8 double move to K27;
Kalad double move to I28;
Gnome Arcanist double move to C26 failed stealth

Let me know if this format helps you at all, the important stuff will always be in the OOC box. Any tips and tricks are welcomed, as I'm still a newbie.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 2

The dragon struggles through the tunnels to a place where it can stand normally. It spies one of the zombies. "Undead. Pfeh. I will need a lot of hot sauce for this." It pauses, surveying the narrow tunnels with distaste.

[sblock=dragon actions]Move: squeeze to U28
Free: expand to T,U 27,28
Standard: total defense
[/sblock]

Initiative

Shifty the Adept 58/58
Skull Lord 45/45
Zingy the Mote 1/1
Mortimer the Thrall 1/1
Ringmaster Red 128/128
Pack Zombie 1 1/1
Pack Zombie 2 1/1