Monster Mash: CaBaNa vs. the dragon

CaBaNa

First Post
The Gibberling Bunch Band marches toward the sound of food. Ratcheting up a heaping helping of raucousness. Leaving the dragon no choice but to cover it's sensitive ears.

Shifty shuffles forward and then marches in front of the band to try and get a good spot for the music, and steels himself against any more negative comments.

The Drum Major marches forward and tries to scare the chilly dragon, but his silly paint doesn't help much. He then double whistles and a burst of flame and negative energy whip around the dragon, missing by a mile.

Zingy follows along and watches the dissapointing display of his master.

Mortimer begins moving in the direction he last saw the Drum Major go, skipping as if playing hop scotch.

Red the Ringmaster Flies next to the drum major to discuss tactics, trying to hide as a torch on the wall... He calls out that it is time for the clowns to arrive! Four new Small Car Troop clowns appear behind and in front of the dragon.

The three new clowns try and push the dragon toward the fourth, one of them slipping as if on a banana peel. The fourth goes to grab the dragon by the ears and comes up empty handed, literally, from an accident that happened while exiting the car last year.

The rest of the Small Car Troop run after Mortimer except the two too slow to do anything but walk after the rest of the troop Shooing away imaginary popcorn and tomato projectiles.

Kalad stomps down the corridor and holds his axe defensively in front of him, awaiting the dragons next move.

Perky the arcanist walks forward and prepares to cast a spell if he see's the chatty dragon.

[sblock=OOC]Gibberling Bunch double moves to K28, dragon enters Gibberling aura and takes -2 to all defenses;
Pact-Bound Adept doesn't recharge Dragon's Grace. Roll Lookup, minor action shifts to F29, moves to L28, Standard Action total defense;
Skull Lord moves to M30, Minor action Bonechilling Fear 18 misses Roll Lookup, Minor action skull of withering flame 18 misses Roll Lookup;
Energy Mote moves to L31, takes total defense;
Mutated Thrall double move to Q13;
FlameSkull Death Master moves to N30, 21 stealth Roll Lookup, uses call of the grave, Pack Zombies at S28, T29, U29, V29;
PZ at T29, U29, and V29 assist PZ at S28 with a Grab attack, 2/3 are successfulRoll Lookup,
S28 makes a grab attack with a +2 for being adjacent to another PZ, a +4 from assist, and a +3 from strength mod, 18 misses Roll Lookup,
All other PZ double move run toward Mutated Thrall, except PZ 2 and 6 who take a move action toward the Mutated thrall and then use full defense;
Kalad moves to M26 and takes full defense;
Gnome Arcanist moves to H27 and readies Scintillating Bolt if the dragon moves where it can be cast.

active aura's
Gibberling aura, dragon takes -2 all defenses
Gnome Arcanist aura of illusion, all allies within 5 of Gnome arcanist have concealment
Skull Lord Master of the Grave, all undead allies within 2 gain regen 5 and +2 to saving throws
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 3
The circus marches on, an explosion of chaos and decay. (ooc: Regarding auras, they require line of effect to work. See MM p.280. So the gibberlings don't affect the dragon this turn.)

The dragon swats at the summoned zombie blocking his path, and its neighbor for good measure. Both crumble to dust. The dragon surges forward toward Red, and unleashes a blizzard from his mighty jaws. The effect is less than spectacular, though, and only Kalad is harmed. (ooc: draconic fury vs. PZ9 and PZ10, both hits. Move to P-Q,29-30; PZ11 and PZ12 get OAs. Action point for breath weapon, hits Kalad despite cover and full defense, misses Red and Skull Lord. Kalad takes 11 cold after resists, and is slowed and weakened (save ends both). rolls Bah, waste of an AP.

Initiative

Shifty the Adept 58/58, +2 defenses tsnt
Skull Lord 45/45
Zingy the Mote 1/1, +2 defenses tsnt
Mortimer the Thrall 1/1
Ringmaster Red 128/128
Pack Zombie 9 dead
Pack Zombie 10 dead
Pack Zombie 11 1/1
Pack Zombie 12 1/1
Pack Zombie 1 1/1
Pack Zombie 2 1/1 +2 defenses tsnt
Pack Zombie 3 1/1
Pack Zombie 4 1/1
Pack Zombie 5 1/1
Pack Zombie 6 1/1 +2 defenses tsnt
Pack Zombie 7 1/1
Pack Zombie 8 1/1
Kalad The Paladin 43/54, 10 cold resist, +2 defenses tsnt, slowed and weakened (save ends both)
Perky the Arcanist 46/46
Dragon 408/408
Gibberling Bunch 32/32 <== You're up

Resources used:
Ringmaster Red: Call of the Grave
Dragon: AP, breath weapon

[sblock=map]
CabanaDragon005.png
[/sblock]

Also, I note that you seem to have left PZ1 all alone in the upper left. Is that on purpose?

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
PZ1 is the reason Skull Lord has an active aura, he dies, aura goes away. He is The Skull of Deaths Command.

Thanks for the rules clarity on aura's! This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find, stuff I don't know about.

where is the dragon getting it's +2 to defenses?

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Ha Ha Ha! it's encouraging to see you, The Great Covaithe, make a mistake every once in a while! Makes me feel like the mistakes I'll be making will hopefully be taken well.

I'll update later tonight, I'm on my way out for dinner now.

CaBaNa

First Post
Changing up the tune, the Gibberling Bunch Band booms a bawdy battle beat. and steps over to see the dragon for themselves...

Shifty Honks his horn and motivated by the idea of not being around hungry undead clowns, pops out from behind cover, and fires a flaming ball out of his staff at the dragon, pegging him in the eye! the dragons eyelashes catch fire! Shifty hops back behind cover to avoid the wrath of what can only be a very angry dragon.

The Drum Major tells the new guy to stand back up, which he promptly does. He then points gives a shrill whistle and two balls of flame fly past the dragon again, so he readies himself for the inevitable backdraft.

Zingy the energy mote get moves in for a close look at the dragons face...

Ringmaster Red shifts back to let fly with a massive attack, Making sure not to hit his Small Car Troop in the process, He conjures a massive ball of fire, that immediately plays party music and turns the room into disco-tech!!! He starts in with his Karaoke Let's Dance, put on your red shoes and dance the blues. Let's sway...

The three new Small Car Troop fellows go harass the dragon while Kalad walks up to bash him. As usual, one pulls the slip on a banana peel trick again...

The others, except the two now convinced they are being pelted by tomato's, race toward Mortimer!

Kalad strolls up confidently, Muttering prayers to his god, a radiant burst creates a zone of protection for him and his allies. Kalad can't help noticing all the help from the pack of zombies behind the dragon, he chooses an excellent position to flank from (probably drawing an attack), and at the last moment, slips on the same banana peel, and looks like an oaf [sblock=How] Son of a...[/sblock]

Perky runs to a new vantage point and fires off some cover, missing the dragon, but looking stylish.

[sblock=OOC]Gibberling Bunch moves to L30, activating aura, dragon -2 to defenses, uses standard action total defense;

Pact-Bound Adept Fails Recharge, moves to K30, standard action Flaming Staff 29 vs ref hits for 11 fire damage, ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends), minor action shifts to K29;

Skull Lord minor action skull of deaths command on PZ9, PZ9 stands with normal hit point, minor action skull of withering flame misses, Standard action total defense;

Energy mote double move to O28;

Mutated thrall double moves to U23;

Flame Skull Death Master shifts to N30, Standard action fireball centered on R28 Miss on natual one;

PZ1 stands and twiddles thumbs
PZ9 moves R27, Q28, standard ready to assist Kalad when adjacent to another PZ
PZ11 moves to R28 (triggers PZ9) standard to assist Kalad
PZ12 moves to R29 standard to assist Kalad
2 out of 3 aid Kalad
PZ6 standard total defense
PZ2 standard total defense
All other Zombies continue to full run toward Mutant Thrall;

Kalad the Paladin moves to O29, Standard action Sacred Circle, Minor Action Divine Strength, AP, Standard Action GreatAxe Misses...;

Gnome arcanist move action run to L26, scintillating bolt miss;

Can I push or slide the dragon into a squeeze?

active aura's and zones
Sacred circle burst 3 centered on O29 allies in zone gain +1 ac
Gibberling aura, dragon takes -2 all defenses
Gnome Arcanist aura of illusion, all allies within 5 of Gnome arcanist have concealment
Skull Lord Master of the Grave, all undead allies within 2 gain regen 5 and +2 to saving throws
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: a couple of minor problems. Kalad is slowed, so he can't get to O29 without running. Also, to get there he'll have to pass through O28, and leaving that square will produce an OA. Normally I'd just leave him in O28 and carry on, but since you used an AP to place a zone... I think it makes a difference whether the zone's in O28 or O29, since I'd imagine (haven't chased down the rules yet) that zones don't work without line of effect, either. Finally, you'll want to make saves for Kalad.

I'd got the update mostly typed when I noticed that, so please for the love of God don't make major changes to your turn, lol.

Also, I think we've been reading the skull lord's aura wrong. It doesn't end when the minion raised with the skull of command is destroyed, it ends when the skull of command itself is destroyed. See the Triple Skulls bit. So you can post a few rounds of actions for PZ1 if you want.

Remove ads