L4W Discussion Thread III

garyh

First Post
Charisma boosts will saves? ~blink~ And this is why I said I was new to 4E. I like that little change. lol.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Plus, they're "defenses" and not "saves" anymore. ;) Attackers roll to hit your Fort/Ref/Will, just like they do your AC.

Your Fort uses the higher of your Str or Con bonus, Ref the same with Dex or Int, and Will with Wis or Cha. AC uses the higher of your Dex or Int if you wear light or no armor. If you wear heavy armor, you don't apply a stat to your AC.

Feel free to keep asking questions. We're here to help. :)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The lists of approved characters, when separated by role, show that we're consistently short on leaders and controllers.

I think since PHB2 came out the pressure's been taken off leaders a bit, now that there are more choices for them (which seem to be more popular than the new choices for controllers).

covaithe

Explorer
I'll be off the internet for the weekend starting in a half hour or so. I'm moving, and the Internet won't be back on at home until at least Wednesday, and possibly later if there are complications, but I'll be in touch from work from Monday.

Theroc

First Post
Well, you could build a dragonborn paladin with 18's in Str and Cha, and still have solid Con and Wis, since L4W uses a 25 (up from the standard 22) point buy. 18's in both Str and Cha let you choose any power, which is nice.

Hrm... Garyh, using the generators and such that I've found, I find myself unable to get a high Con as well as high Strength and Charisma. Can you show me the stat layout you're talking about?

If I pay for a 16 in strength and cha, I can only get a 14 con.

Hm... maybe this is a good time for me to ask what a 'solid' score is, since I usually end up seeing 14 and 12 as a bit low for an important stat score. Did the importance of the attribute scores change between 3.5 and 4E?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
14 is solid for a secondary stat.

If you want more, you can make this a STR paladin. 18 STR and only 14 CHA. 14 cha is enough to make cha skills useful and the paladin challenge dangerous. That leaves enough points to up CON and WIS.

You should look into a daragonborn sorcerer if you like that class. There are Dragonborn Paladin around, but, surprisingly, I don't think there is a Dragonborn sorcerer using the Dragonmagic build!

When selecting my 2nd character, I was sorely tempted.

Theroc

First Post
14 is solid for a secondary stat.

If you want more, you can make this a STR paladin. 18 STR and only 14 CHA. 14 cha is enough to make cha skills useful and the paladin challenge dangerous. That leaves enough points to up CON and WIS.

You should look into a daragonborn sorcerer if you like that class. There are Dragonborn Paladin around, but, surprisingly, I don't think there is a Dragonborn sorcerer using the Dragonmagic build!

When selecting my 2nd character, I was sorely tempted.

I'll have to look over the powers and see whether I like the strength-based one or the charisma based ones more if I use one over the other.

I am tempted too, but I am pretty sure striker's the most common class, which would make for unbalanced parties more often(granted, my ONE striker wouldn't alter that much).

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Defenderwise, Dragonborn are excellent fighters too.

You just don't invest in Charisma. The +2 to charisma and the +2 to intimidate still leads for a respectable +8 to initimidate at level 1 so these bonuse aren't really wasted. The other racial features are all gravvy for a fighter. For example, Dragonbreath can be used to mark every target, which is nifty, especially combined with the enlarged breath feat and an ally capable of temporarily giving you bonus to defense or damage resistance.

They probably also make excellent Earthstrenght Warden.

There really is no good reason to make them Swordmage, though (beside the pure desire to be an oddball).

I am just pointing this out for the sake of originality. I know at least two active dragonborn paladin. I am aware of only one dragonborn fighter (not even sure if he is active, I haven't seen Shorrin around in a while) and no dragonborn warden.

Last edited:

Remove ads