L4W Discussion Thread III

Ozymandias79

First Post
Hm... I just recently got access to a few 4th edition books, and was thinking of trying out a character here.

How well does one need to be familiar with 4E to play here? Can one get by with just PHB and PHB2?

I say YES, you can, as we have had people who were completely new to D&D and had no PHB make a character, play with it here and learn the game here

BTW Welcome to L4W, Theroc!

Theroc

First Post
I say YES, you can, as we have had people who were completely new to D&D and had no PHB make a character, play with it here and learn the game here

BTW Welcome to L4W, Theroc!

Thanks. I've piddled with a character previously with no materials, basically getting friends to send me bits and pieces related to a chosen class.

I'm also more experienced with 3.5, but figured I may as well give 4th a chance since the living communities are here and I have access.

Another question:
What roles are least spoken for? If L4W is loaded with strikers(entirely possible, as I've noted people like blowing stuff up), I'd rather submit different roles so I'm less likely to be part of a glut when signing on for an adventure.

Fragsie

Explorer
What roles are least spoken for? If L4W is loaded with strikers(entirely possible, as I've noted people like blowing stuff up), I'd rather submit different roles so I'm less likely to be part of a glut when signing on for an adventure.

There was a census taken a while back that showed that there was loads more strikers than other roles. I think it went in the following order:
strikers-leaders-defenders-controllers.

Like i said though, this was quite a while ago, it may be worth checking out the character list here: L4W:Character_Status. You can put the list into class order to get an idea of what classes are currently active in the setting.

Hope this helps :p

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
My super-quick and probably somewhat inaccurate look through the adventures brings up the following: 28 strikers, 15 defenders, 14 controllers, and 19 leaders. However, what I feel is that we're somewhat lacking in defenders. Several groups have two defenders, which means that several others have none.

covaithe

Explorer
The lists of approved characters, when separated by role, show that we're consistently short on leaders and controllers. There are tons of strikers, and defenders are sometimes common, sometimes in short supply. I think with defenders we've had an abnormally high attrition rate with players disappearing for one reason or another.

On the other hand, though, we've found it fairly easy to operate with non-traditional groups. As long as you've got a leader for some healing, the other roles seem to be pretty optional. So, play what you like.

Theroc

First Post
Well, I want to play a dragonborn something. But looking at the classes, there aren't really any classes that need both attribute bonuses the dragonborn gives. Or at least, not classes that have powers using both(except the paladin has either strength or charisma).

Is there a class in the PHB or PHB2 I'm missing in my lookover?

garyh

First Post
Well, I want to play a dragonborn something. But looking at the classes, there aren't really any classes that need both attribute bonuses the dragonborn gives. Or at least, not classes that have powers using both(except the paladin has either strength or charisma).

Is there a class in the PHB or PHB2 I'm missing in my lookover?

Well, you could build a dragonborn paladin with 18's in Str and Cha, and still have solid Con and Wis, since L4W uses a 25 (up from the standard 22) point buy. 18's in both Str and Cha let you choose any power, which is nice.

The dragon magic sorcerer uses Cha to attack and Str for their extra damage and AC, so a dragonborn dragon sorcerer with 18's in Cha and Str is very good.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
The sorcerer uses Str and Cha, as does the Thaneborn barbarian. Str clerics can make use of the Cha on occasion. And since Cha boosts your Will defense, if you're playing a Str class that doesn't need Wisdom, then Cha is just as good. Finally, since L4W uses a very generous 25 point buy system, you can get pretty good results with non-optimal choices.

Theroc

First Post
The sorcerer uses Str and Cha, as does the Thaneborn barbarian. Str clerics can make use of the Cha on occasion. And since Cha boosts your Will defense, if you're playing a Str class that doesn't need Wisdom, then Cha is just as good. Finally, since L4W uses a very generous 25 point buy system, you can get pretty good results with non-optimal choices.

Charisma boosts will saves? ~blink~ And this is why I said I was new to 4E. I like that little change. lol.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Remove ads