Healing Belt in MIC = broken?

Thurbane

First Post
Wait, do those that think the healing belt is broken actually think that the HEALING BELT is why nobody creates potions of Cure Serious Wounds?

I hate to say that's totally false.

Even prior to the healing belt, nobody actually created or even bought these things as in terms of value for money, the CSW potion is VERY, VERY POOR
Different strokes for different folks, but they see use in the two 3.X groups I've been involved with on a regular basis. I guess we were playing the game wrong. :p

concerro

Explorer
Different strokes for different folks, but they see use in the two 3.X groups I've been involved with on a regular basis. I guess we were playing the game wrong. :p
Do you follow the wealth chart or give out loot when you feel like it? The only time my group bought potions was when I intentionally ran an overpowered campaign with character way above the WBL chart.

Thurbane

First Post
Do you follow the wealth chart or give out loot when you feel like it? The only time my group bought potions was when I intentionally ran an overpowered campaign with character way above the WBL chart.
Nope, we generally run pretty close to the WBL tables, if not slavishly adhering to them. Some games have been significantly below WBL, in fact.

Just remember - not everyone plays the game exactly the same way. Not every group is as concerned with plotting out the most efficient use of their wealth to the last GP. There's no right or wrong way to play D&D, only what's fun for your group. I am often taken aback by the fact that there is an underlying assumption by many forum members (not neccessarily yourself) here and elsewhere that uneless a group plays to optimize to the Nth degree, they aren't playing the game properly. Hence, sometimes people in my group pick up a Potion of Cure Serious to have a quick (i.e. 1 round) access to 3d8+5 points of healing, for when they get seperated from the party healers or such. I'm not saying it happens all the time, or even a lot, but it does happen. As always, YMMV...

Starbuck_II

First Post
Hence, sometimes people in my group pick up a Potion of Cure Serious to have a quick (i.e. 1 round) access to 3d8+5 points of healing, for when they get seperated from the party healers or such. I'm not saying it happens all the time, or even a lot, but it does happen. As always, YMMV...
True, but in battle most people eventually deal 3d8 +5 damage so the potion is good at low levels; not so much in later levels.

And since the damage almost equals the healing: it would be something I'd use after battle when separated not during (unless I was trying to buy time till friends arrived).

There are exceptions: if you have displacement or high AC and enemies regularly miss you than healing is a better idea since the might not deal damage.

Remove ads