Healing Belt in MIC = broken?

concerro

Explorer
Drinking potions in combat is tantamount to suicide, unless you have that delayed potion feat from complete mage. You provoke an AoO for doing so, waste a standard action (which can be used to attack), and the damage taken on this AoO possibly exceeds the hp healed (assuming it did not kill them outright before the healing kicks in, since the attack is made before they actually drink the healing potion).

At least the healing belt doesn't provoke an AoO when used. ;)

5-foot step, pull out the potion, drink it. I am not advocating potions of course, but they may keep you alive for the extra round needed so you can get some backup, but I will state I am only drinking potions as a last resort :).

EroGaki

First Post
5-foot step, pull out the potion, drink it. I am not advocating potions of course, but they may keep you alive for the extra round needed so you can get some backup, but I will state I am only drinking potions as a last resort :).

Pulling a potion is a move action, so you can't take a 5ft step and pull out the potion and drink it. Unless I am in error, which does happen sometimes. :p

Herzog

Adventurer
Pulling a potion is a move action, so you can't take a 5ft step and pull out the potion and drink it. Unless I am in error, which does happen sometimes.
It happened! ;)

You can take a 5' step, take a move action and a standard action, all in one round. You can NOT use that move action to perform an actual move, since you can not take a 5' step in a round where you also perform a move.

concerro

Explorer
It happened! ;)

You can take a 5' step, take a move action and a standard action, all in one round. You can NOT use that move action to perform an actual move, since you can not take a 5' step in a round where you also perform a move.
I stand corrected. I was thinking that since you could do a full attack or take a full round action and still take the 5 foot step then the 5 foot step and the move action would also be ok.

Potion sucks, down with potions :)

Herzog

Adventurer
You're confusing me.

Let me re-state:
You can take a 5' step, dig out your potion (move (equivalent) action) and drink the potion (standard action?)

You can NOT:
take a 5' step, drink the potion (you happen to have in your hand), then move away.

So, 5' step + move equivalent action = OK
5' step + move != ok

Runestar

First Post
I utterly forgot about the move action required to take out a potion! :eek:

That makes it suck even more in my eyes...since we have never enforced it in our games...:blush:

Jhaelen

First Post
You say that like it's an objective truth -- "a fix was in order." What if someone likes the DMG system? What if they want a low-magic campaign where the only items available are those in the DMG, and only at the outratgeous prices that are listed? Is such a person "refusing to believe that a fix was in order" or is such a person "not liking the fix and having fun without it?"
I was specifically replying to Thurbane who said 'if something in the core rules is busted'.
Naturally, if you don't think anything in the core rules is busted you can ignore what I wrote since it wouldn't apply.

EroGaki

First Post
It happened! ;)

Can you give me a page number for reference? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious. Thanks. :)

Remove ads