PH p.138 said:
If you move no actual distance in a round (commonly because
you have swapped your move for one or more equivalent actions,
such as standing up), you can take one 5-foot step either before,
during, or after the action

and again, in the section 'Take 5-Foot Step', PH p. 144

AllisterH

First Post
So what have we learned in this rule discussion?

Drinking potions sucks ROYALLY.

Which kind of proves the point that even if the belt didn't exist, nobody would actually buy and or make Cure Serious Wounds potion

Seriously I've asked this before but I'll ask again who here actually made/bought cure serious wound potions? Sure if the the enemy dropped a couple I chug them but actually spend money on them?

Starbuck_II

First Post
So what have we learned in this rule discussion?

Drinking potions sucks ROYALLY.

Which kind of proves the point that even if the belt didn't exist, nobody would actually buy and or make Cure Serious Wounds potion

Seriously I've asked this before but I'll ask again who here actually made/bought cure serious wound potions? Sure if the the enemy dropped a couple I chug them but actually spend money on them?

Agreed, the problem is action economy: why use a potion that you have to draw (there is a potion belt but that costs more money) and then use when I can wear a belt that does same thing with lots actions used.

The only exceptions are spells like Fly, enlarge person, etc that are worth the action to use as a potion.

Kask

First Post
Agreed, the problem is action economy: why use a potion that you have to draw (there is a potion belt but that costs more money) and then use when I can wear a belt that does same thing with lots actions used.

Well, if you don't have a belt you have to make due...

SnowHeart

First Post
Drinking potions in combat is tantamount to suicide... You provoke an AoO for doing so, waste a standard action (which can be used to attack), and the damage taken on this AoO possibly exceeds the hp healed (assuming it did not kill them outright before the healing kicks in, since the attack is made before they actually drink the healing potion).

At least the healing belt doesn't provoke an AoO when used. ;)

They should come up with a Drink Defensively ability. :p

Jeff Wilder

First Post
There's a potion bracer somewhere: 50 gp, holds six potions, allows drinking of a potion as a satndard action that doesn't provoke AoOs, and uses the bracer slot.

I still rarely use potions, though.

coyote6

Adventurer
One of the early purchases for nearly every character in every game I GMed was a MW potion belt (originally from the core FR book, IIRC, and reprinted a couple of other places), which makes drawing potions stored in it a free action.

Potions -- especially cure potions -- are still overpriced, though.

Maybe I stand alone here, but whenever I play a (3.x) character that does not have the ability to cast healing spells in some way, I always carry enough potions to cure at least half my HP. You always need a method of healing that you can use by yourself, in case your healer ever dies or gets separated from the group. It doesn't matter if the wand is a better economic choice if you have no way to use it. I always assumed this was SOP. Then again, I don't use the MIC, either.

Potions should be equally common in the (non-high magic) game world for the same reason; magical healers are not so common that you can always assume one is nearby. Potions are the AEDs or CPR of the D+D world; you'd rather visit a cleric in the emergency room, but you'll be just as happy to be fed a potion while you're waiting for the ambulance to show up.

concerro

Explorer
You're confusing me.

Let me re-state:
You can take a 5' step, dig out your potion (move (equivalent) action) and drink the potion (standard action?)

You can NOT:
take a 5' step, drink the potion (you happen to have in your hand), then move away.

So, 5' step + move equivalent action = OK
5' step + move != ok
Sorry about that I got confused. We are in agreement now. Ignore my last post.

concerro

Explorer
Maybe I stand alone here, but whenever I play a (3.x) character that does not have the ability to cast healing spells in some way, I always carry enough potions to cure at least half my HP. You always need a method of healing that you can use by yourself, in case your healer ever dies or gets separated from the group. It doesn't matter if the wand is a better economic choice if you have no way to use it. I always assumed this was SOP. Then again, I don't use the MIC, either.

Potions should be equally common in the (non-high magic) game world for the same reason; magical healers are not so common that you can always assume one is nearby. Potions are the AEDs or CPR of the D+D world; you'd rather visit a cleric in the emergency room, but you'll be just as happy to be fed a potion while you're waiting for the ambulance to show up.

Before the MiC I was the cleric's bodyguard because if he died I knew I would die. As far as separation, until I had stored enough potions to live without the cleric I was almost his shadow. I did not know the value of UMD until about 2 years ago, but I do now, and if I can make it fit RP-wise I will have ranks in it. I will have access to a cleric barring every extreme circumstances, even if it means I have to play the cleric.

Remove ads