Pain Pride and Prejudice

Theroc

First Post
Scartail's attention was immediately diverted from the celebration of Pelor the human god as he heard a human young scream. He saw strange looking creatures chasing from behind, and Scartail assumed the creatures had attacked the children. Whether it was a justified attack, Scartail didn't know. Perhaps the children tried to steal from the creatures? Perhaps they threw stones at them? Human children could easily have provoked the creatures... but he doubted the other humans would bother to consider such a chance...

Scartail decided the only way to discern the truth was if both parties lived and could be reasoned with, and so made his way towards the group. If the creatures could not be reasoned with, they'd be no better than the raving mad humans who slaughtered his tribe and would be put down like rabid dogs.

[sblock]
Move towards the group, hopefully at an angle allowing LoS to the creatures, and draw a shortspear.

Attempt to ask the creatures to pause and explain what is going on in each language Scartail knows

If the creatures do not reply to him, or continue attempts to attack the children, throw a shortspear at the closest impcreature if it is within 3 range increments.

Roll:
Roll Lookup
Attack: 18+3=21(this doesn't account for range increment reductions as I don't know the distance)
Damage: 6+4=10
[/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Seamus turns to see where the scream came from, and as soon as the impish creatures come into view, he calls out "TO ARMS! TO ARMS!" and rushes towards the fleeing youths, trying to reach their side or get between them and the monsters. He draws his dagger along the way, and calls out to the youths "Keep runnin'! Ah'll cover ye!" to the boy and girl.

As soon as one of the beasts is close enough, he takes a swipe at it with his dagger. It's a hasty stroke, though. Seamus focuses on his draconic powers as he goes, and shifts the aura of draconic power into an energy shield. He envelops everyone nearby, except the wolf and impish critters, in the aura, so if any of the critters hits them up close, a flash of electricity surges into the beasts.

[sblock=ooc]I got both skills, so I rolled a 15 on Arcana and 9 for Nature to try identifying the critters.
1d20+5=15, 1d20+5=9

Seamus acts after the critters, according to the Initiatives, so......if he can't get there in time to interpose himself between the young'uns and the monsters, Seamus will just move up next to boy. Changing Aura as a swift action to Electricity Shield, so 2 electricity damage to anything that hits Seamus, the young'uns, or any other people from the celebration, within 60 feet of Seamus.

Move action to get close, then standard action to attack one. If the wolf is close enough, he'll attack it first. With my BAB, I can draw a weapon while moving. My attack roll is a pitiful 12, for 6 damage......graaagh.
1d20+2+2=12, 1d4+2=6

Seamus' status: 36 / 36 HP, AC 11[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Michael strides forward to stand beside the child, and sees others charging forwards with weapons drawn.

"STOP!" He shouts, both at the creatures and his fellow humans. "I give you one chance to either explain yourselves or leave, creatures." He shouts to them, his maul held in his right hand and pointed at the two on wolfback. He is speaking as loudly as he can, trying to make sure his voice can be heard over the crowd. "And I suggest everybody calm down." His left hand begins to glow red with power as he holds it over his head.

[sblock=ooc]
Move action to get between the boy and the wolf (You said he's 15', my move is 20', perfect, i should be 5' closer. Drawing weapon as I move.
Attempting to Intimidate (1d20+7=25) If they're allready hostile, that should change them to indifferent for the purposes of the next few minutes, if they're not then they become friendly towards michael. :D

Also, Knowledge: Planes (1d20+5=22) in case they happen to be extraplanar. Should be good for anything 12 hd or less. *EDIT: Disregard, just reread your post and noticed the 'knowledge nature or arcane'. guess that answers that.*

In case it doesn't work for some reason, or if my 'companions' decide to press the fight:
AC 19(Not currently wielding shield), HP 22, 20% miss chance from ranged weapons. (As per Entropic Shield)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tiali

First Post
Both Torl and the Wolf rush at the children in a fierce attempt to reach them first. Torl just manages to get there before the wolf, and swings his falchion at the wolf's face. It connects with lethal brutality, and the wolf stops its charge and whinies in pain. (9)

One of the implike creatures on the wolf's back leaps at Torl as his falcion whips past, and lands on his shoulder. It quickly stings him with one of his spikes, before dropping back to the ground. Torl feels a sharp pain, and a light green liquid oozes from his wound. (1 damage, I will need a fort save). The other imp leaps off the wolf's back and runs through Torl's legs at the first person it sees; Michael Cale.

Michael Cale shouts ""STOP! I give you one chance to either explain yourselves or leave, creatures." but the creature leaps at Michaels leg, and bites down hard. (Nat 20/18. Unconfirmed crit = 5 damage) The creature doesn't seem to understand anything that Michael is saying, but when Michael's left hand begins to glow, the implike creature backs away, intimidated by the show of power. (2) He finishes by yelling "I suggest everybody calm down."

Seamus leaps forward after yelling "TO ARMS! TO ARMS!" and he rushes to the assistance of the boy and girl. "Keep runnin'! Ah'll cover ye!" He takes a swipe at the already wounded wolf, and through its newfound fear of shiny blades, it stays a respectful distance from the dagger. Seamus was unable to harm it with his swing.

While all of this is occurring, Scartail walks forward yelling for the creatures to halt in several different languages. None of them seem to understand what Scartail is saying. They begin charging at the crowded assembly, and one of them heads straight for Scartail. It begins laughing meniacally as it leaps towards Scartail. Scartail whips his shortspear at the implike beast mid leap and it impales it and pins it to the ground. The imp seems very hurt, but it is still struggling and very much alive. (10)

Rungner intercepts one of the implike creatures that sweep past Scartail, and swings his sword as it attempts to leap at him. His sword cleaves the creature in half, and it collapses to the ground in two pieces. As soon as it hits the ground the black implike creature dissolves into a dark green puddle of goo. (18)

Arthur Mandoor rushes forward without any weapons in an attempt to stop the implike creatures from reaching the populated gathering. One of the imps jumps on his chest and stings him painfully. He manages to throw it to the ground, but that doesn't seem to hurt the little beast at all. It climbs to its feet and laughs as it gets ready for another attack.

The remaining 7 imps leap into the crowd, and chaos ensues. The common people begin screaming and running, while the few trained men attempt to set up a defensive perimeter. All of the imps seem to want blood, from any source, and they are willing to attack the nearest commoner

OOC
[sblock=OOC]

Wolf was interecepted and took 9 damage from Torl
Imp 1 dealt 1 damage to Torl, Fort needed. It took 2 energy damage. (Aura)
Imp 2 dealt 5 damage to Michael. No save needed. It is intimidated.
Imp 3 was impaled by Scartail. 10 damage taken.
Imp 4 was killed by Rungner.
Imp 5 hit Arthur for 4 damage. Fort save rolled by me. It took 2 energy damage. (Aura)
Imp 6-12 used full runs to get to the crowd, but were unable to attack this round.

Torl gets option of AoO on Imp1 or Imp2. (both if you have Combat Reflexes)

Nobody was able to identify the creatures. However, Michael does not believe that any of these creatures were summoned from another plane of existance.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Did Torl or anyone else get grappled? Otherwise, some of us should have gotten attacks of opportunity against the critters that moved past us after our turns (dunno their turn order, though). Did the boy and girl keep running into the crowd, or what? And how far is Arthur? Was he within range of my aura?

Also, my characters' actions are heavily dependant on others' positions, so I'll hold off on posting mine until after Torl, Michael, and Scartail. My only offensive advantages at this level involve flanking and attacks of opportunity (Combat Reflexes and Vexing Flanker), besides the Electricity Shield aura.[/sblock]

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"Aahh!" Torl winces in pain as the imp stings him. Seeing an opening, he directs a quick swing at it. While Torl's making his attack, the second imp jump off the wolf and runs past him. With the wolf stopped, Torl takes another swing at the imp who stung him.

[sblock=OOC]
Torl's Fort save vs. imp green-goo-oozing sting is 1d20+5=11. Ugh.
Attack of opportunity with -1 for power attack against imp1 is 1d20+7=14, 2d4+6=12. If that hits, it may have dropped imp1.
Finally, Torl's standard action attack is 1d20+8=11, 2d4+4=7 It's against imp1 if he's still up. If he's not, it's against the wolf with -1 for power attack (-1 to hit and +2 to damage).
Torl's power attack for the first round also covered his AoO, so that had to have -1 PA. His standard action attack was after the start of the second round, so he could change his PA if he wants. His decision will be based on whether he's going after imp1 or the wolf.[/sblock][sblock=conditions]Down 1 hp, imp fort save effects pending.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tiali

First Post
Round 2 - Summary up to the monster's action.

Torl feels a bit woozy as the poison begins taking effect, but that doesn't stop him from attacking of the little beast who injected it. As the imp falls to the ground, Torl sees an opening and takes it. His falchion swing removes the little things head, and the imp explodes into dark green goo.

Torl turns his attention to the wolf, and swings his falchion again, but the wolf is more dextrous than he seems, and he dodges fairly easily.

Round 2 - Monster actions.

As the falchion swings through the air over his head, the wolf lunges at Torl's swinging arm, attempting to bite him. (1) (epic miss)

The creature that just bit Michael is quite intimidated by the show of power. After deciding that biting this human again might not end well, It looks around and sees there are many other victims around. It decides that the boy and girl are far easier targets, and charges towards the fleeing brother and sister. (13) (2 damage)

Scartail's little foe wriggles its way off his shortspear, and for the first time since the raid began, this little beast stops laughing. It seems very angry as it attempts to sting the lizardfolk that just hurt him. (9) (miss)

As Arthur throws the imp to the ground in an attempt to stun it, the little thing gets back up and rushes at his legs. It attempts to bite him on the knee. (17) (4 damage)

The remaining 7 imps go crazy around the defenseless townsfolk. They leap from stand to stand, from person to person, biting, clawing, scratching, and stinging the people closest to them.

OOC: [sblock=]

Rolls are listed above with the actions. You will see (#) that is totaled up roll. If succeeded you will see a second set listing damage (3 damage) if missed I put (miss).

Attacks as listed:
Wolf botched his attack.
Imp 1 has died.
Imp 2 charges boy/girl.
Imp 3 attacks Scartail.
Imp 4 has died.
Imp 5 attacks Arthur.
Imp's 6-12 attack the townsfolk. Listed below.

Actions taken:
Torl received 1 point of constitution poison, and will be asked to do another fortitude save after combat.

Michael will receive an AoO for Imp 2 retreating out of his squares.

Dice rolls vs commoners:
[sblock=]
1d20+4
8+4 = 12 * 3dmg
1d20+4
5+4 = 9
1d20+4
3+4 = 7
1d20+4
16+4 = 20 * 3dmg
1d20+4
12+4 = 16 * 2dmg
1d20+4
2+4 = 6
1d20+4
18+4 = 22 * 3dmg
[/sblock]

Monster to Monster summary will begin now. Everyone (including pneumatik) please list your next actions.
[/sblock]

Remove ads