DND 3.5 "Pain Pride and Prejudice" [Interest/Recruiting]

Tiali

First Post
lol I keep picturing Rungner roaring and screaming his 'follow me' and then smashing through the wall. Warrior smash!

Was reading through the posts, and I need a little more info.

Situation is like this:

You are all on the south side of the wall facing north. The wall runs 45 feet from east to west. Your closer to the west wall. Noone knows which direction the front gate is. Did you guys start running east or west?

Rungner is taking the 'fastest' route at the moment. Which as stated above is unknown to the party. The 'fastest' route to the party, with what information is available currently, would be over the wall, or through the wall.

The last gremlin thing is running at you from the east side. You can hear it getting closer.

I will need clarification on which direction everyone is going, because it may determine whether you get there in time.

Anyone is free to answer the question above, don't need to wait on Rungner. Theroc has first initiative, so his actions may make the difference.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Too bad Rung CAN'T smash down the wall. That'd be effing epic. "Rungner SMASH!"

Anyways... so we've no idea which way let's us catch her?... what do the rest of you think? Seems a 50/50 shot...

Jemal

Adventurer
hmm.. The wall can't be too tall if Rugner was able to smash the thing on top of it, might actually BE fastest to just go over, for anybody with a respectable climb check (Or a VERY respectable jump check).

How tall's the wall?

Theroc

First Post
hmm.. The wall can't be too tall if Rugner was able to smash the thing on top of it, might actually BE fastest to just go over, for anybody with a respectable climb check (Or a VERY respectable jump check).

How tall's the wall?

Scartail has a jump modifier of +13. Wonder what the DC for jumping the wall might be, lol.

Arkhandus

First Post
It's super-hard to get over a 10 foot high wall with a jump in D&D. A Medium character, moving 20 feet before jumping, can get their feet 10 feet over the ground with a DC 40 Jump check. It only takes a DC 8 Jump check for a Medium creature to get high enough for grabbing the top of a 10-foot wall and then another move action to drag themselves up and over it (DC 16 Jump if they didn't get a 20-foot running start).

A 15-foot-high wall would be DC 28 for a Medium creature to reach the edge of in order to drag themselves over it afterward, or 56 if they didn't move 20 feet toward it before jumping.

A Large creature can drag themselves over a 10 or 15 foot wall without jumping, but it still takes a move action to drag themselves up and over.

Jemal

Adventurer
Actually, both climbing and jumping are made as PART of a move action, and can be combined with other forms of movement.
Lets use scartail as an example.

Vertical reach 8' (Medium creature with no special rules).
Jump check +13, Climb check +4, movement rate: 30'

Assuming average rolls of 11, he would have a 24 jump check and a 15 climb check. If he started 20' from the wall, that would mean a 20' move to the wall, jump check gets him 6' up, grabs the edge of the ledge, and pulls himself partialy up (He has 4' of movement left, but climbing is at 1/4 movement rate, so he pulls himself up 1').
He now has to pull himself up the remaining 3' with his second movement check. If his movement rate were higher, or if he ha made a higher jump check, he could have made it to the top with a single move action.

If he starts further than 20', he could use his first move action to do the running, and his second for the jump/climb.
He could also take a -5 to his climb check to attempt 'accelerated climbing' to move at 1/2 speed instead of 1/4.
There are many options when climbing/jumping walls, which was why I wanted to know how tall it was.

bedford

First Post
So how many in the party can get over the wall? I guess the best idea is to climb the wall. wouldn't Rugner be able to carry at least one person with him while draging himself over the wall. (heavy load 1338lbs) or he could just climb the wall and try to catch the mage, although a little backup would be good..

Last edited:

Tiali

First Post
Ok :p here comes the fun.

To answer your questions, and offer a quick list of checks.
-Wall is 10 feet in height. A DC 40 vertical jump check to clear the wall.
-It is VERY old, and crumbling as is. The vines are the only thing keeping it standing. Therefore it would be possible to destroy a section of it. It might also crumble with too much weight on it at once.
-With the vines, and the many hand/foot holds, the climb would be easy, a DC10 to climb all the way over. Rungner wouldn't need a check at all, he's Large. It would be a single move action to just up-and-over yourself.
-It would be a DC15 strength check for Rugner to throw someone over. (assuming he got a running start) DC20 strength check if he stood still. That same check would increase to DC25 for anyone of Medium size attempting the throw. (assuming the running start) and DC30 for standing still. A tumble or reflex save of 10 would be necessary for anyone being thrown over. Otherwise 1d6 non-lethal for a 10 foot uncontrolled fall.

(I know these checks may be 1-2 off in any direction, but this is what I have set them at. Take them how you see em, and if you make the roll, add that into your action.)

Keep in mind there is still 1 more Gremlin running at your locale.

Also so I don't double post, I'll add XP here at the bottom.

Im going to provide 700 to everyone in the group. 200 for combat, 250 for roleplaying, and 250 as a bonus for posting speeds and such.

*Please Note* Level ups only occur during a period of rest.

Any questions... please ask here. I have a hard time getting on during sunday and mondays, but I'll try to get on at least once each day.

Theroc

First Post
What kind of check would be needed to just charge THROUGH the wall? Just wondering as you said a portion could be broken fairly easily.

Edit:
At the moment, guys, I'm thinking of having Scartail either charge through the wall if it's plausible, or jumping halfway up the wall or so and climbing his way over.

Also, Tiali, how far is the party from the wall again?

Last edited:

Remove ads