[M&M] Buffyverse game? (OOC) [Recruiting CLOSED]

Shalimar

First Post
I'm going to have Gale observing Taylor sporadically for the last 2 months, with it increasing more lately. Its possible she might have a feeling that there is someone around some times, but she hasn't been noticed directly yet if thats ok.

Depending on how long he has been in the area, Gavin may know of the clan of Slyphs in the area and recognize Gale as such.

jkason

First Post
Depending on how long he has been in the area, Gavin may know of the clan of Slyphs in the area and recognize Gale as such.

I figure Gavin's been in SD at least a year, probably two. Prior to his run-in with Taylor and James, he's mostly been trying to steer clear of demon involvement and be 'normal,' but part of that would have to involve his figuring out where the demons were in order to avoid them. Makes sense, then, that a fairly siginificant demon clan moving into the area would be something he might recognize. So he may realize what Gale is, but he probably wouldn't have interacted with her other than to swing wide of her clan.

jkason

First Post
Posted Gavin to the RG with a few small changes. Mostly, I realized that the narrative piece I wrote for meeting Taylor had me describing some of his abilities a little differently than the crunch would reflect. I don't think any of it's major:

* I took out the second level of Track and made Gavin's pain sense Acute instead (he recognized that James had pain in his chest and leg, which would seem to be Acute observations if I'm understanding the game definition of those).

* I gave his Healing the Total extra and the Distracting flaw. The point total doesn't shift, since they balance each other out. I figured the 'rush' I keep describing when he pain-eats was a likely detriment. I'd been toying with an obsession / addiction drawback, but 'addicted to healing' felt rather contrary to the spirit of drawbacks, whereas this one has more reliable negative consequences. Total didn't seem too unbalancing to me, since it requires higher rolls the more you heal, so it's not like every time he touches someone they're whole again or anything.

I do, though, have a Dodge question. Gavin didn't take any Dodge feats, but the rules say that half the Defense bonus (rounded down) is your dodge bonus. Does that mean that Gavin losing his dodge bonus lowers his defense to 14, or that his max Defense is actually 22 (if the latter, does PL restrict that back down to 18)? I wasn't quite clear on how that worked. \

thanks,

jason

drothgery

First Post
I do, though, have a Dodge question. Gavin didn't take any Dodge feats, but the rules say that half the Defense bonus (rounded down) is your dodge bonus. Does that mean that Gavin losing his dodge bonus lowers his defense to 14, or that his max Defense is actually 22 (if the latter, does PL restrict that back down to 18)? I wasn't quite clear on how that worked.

thanks,

jason

Your defense is 18, and since you didn't acquire it in a way that skews in favor of Dodge (buying Dodge Focus), it's 14 when you're denied your dodge bonus.

Two quick notes
- I'd prefer that every character have a 'vital stats' block, ala...

Name: Gavin Peterson
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 190 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Ethnicity (apparent): Caucasian

or

Name: Taylor Marsh
Size: Medium
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 124lbs
Hair: Black / dyed
Eyes: Hazel
Nationality: USA
Ethnicity: White

- Taylor's still listed as 18, not 20-21 (if she was in high school during season 7 of Buffy, and wasn't a prodigy, she's at least 20 by now).

Shalimar

First Post
Since it ties in to Gale's ability to observe Taylor without getting a pointy stick in an orifice or worse a non-orifice adjacent vital organ I figured it would be a good idea to be on the same page about how Taylor's demon sense works rules wise.

As written its a non-accurate sense that extends around you in a pretty large circle, so while you can sense what flavor of demon is in the area and tell apart the flavors, you cannot tell who specifically is a demon and who is a human.

Does that mesh with everyone elses reading of the rules?

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm...maybe I should make it Accurate instead of Acute...

My feel for what I'm going for is that she can tell if a person is a demon...but not necessarily what type. It's more like "Human...human...human...human, but ugly...human...demon..."

She should be able to sense the presence of a demon in an area, and track that presence down to a specific person. Identifying type of demon...I don't see it working that way. So Acute's probably a mistake on my part.

Accurate would let her target demons even without being able to see them though, which may not be appropriate.

Velmont

First Post
I would see Riley to be the new character of the season. It was during the last episode that he appears. So whatever have been the last problem Taylor have solved, she has met Riley during it. So he is still green to the slayer business but start to realize the strange cases he had was far from being simple case.

jkason

First Post
Hmm...maybe I should make it Accurate instead of Acute...

My feel for what I'm going for is that she can tell if a person is a demon...but not necessarily what type. It's more like "Human...human...human...human, but ugly...human...demon..."

She should be able to sense the presence of a demon in an area, and track that presence down to a specific person. Identifying type of demon...I don't see it working that way. So Acute's probably a mistake on my part.

Accurate would let her target demons even without being able to see them though, which may not be appropriate.

I had the same problem trying to figure out the right descriptors for Gavin's pain sense, particularly with Accurate allowing for targeting. Originally I'd been thinking it should be accurate, too, but then realized tracking worked better. I wonder if just leaving Taylor's deomn sense as Tracking would be enough?

I mean, I realize that a move speed is associated with tracking, but at some point a hunting dog recognizes the fox is at the top of the hill rather than simply 'in that direction.' Being able to point to someone within range of your normal and super-senses and say "that's the demon" sounds like a reasonable function of Tracking, I'd say, and it's distinguished from Accurate because, while you can say "that guy in the corner is a demon," if said guy turned out the lights, you could tell where he was ('crap, he left the room!' 'He's heading north,' etc) but couldn't aim anything at him other than a generic lob in his direction.

And as for Gale, I think it might be reasonable to say that Taylor sensed her on occasion, but never knew for sure who it was / never felt threatened enough to track it down. Since tracking slows you down, I think it's safe to assume tracking requires some level of concentration, which Taylor may not have been expending in Gale's direction. She might have at times discounted the tingle as being due to Gavin's presence, for example, or perhaps decided that a vague 'there's a demon around' feeling was the nature of the increasingly-demonic San Diego and didn't worry about it if there wasn't a clear threat associated with it?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases