No comments about the contests

Do you take part in the wizards.com D&D contests?

• Yes, I take part in all contests available

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No, I ignore the contests

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • Maybe, depends on the contest

Votes: 20 35.1%

AllisterH

First Post
Interestingly, I haven't seen much comments/threads about the contests that wizards has been doing lately.

Right now on the D&D homepage, there's another contest "Design your own shoe" and just before that there was "never split the party" so I'm wondering, am I the only one that takes part in those contests?

As a fan, I have learned to ignore any/all WotC "outreach" in the form of contests.

Remember the monster to be released in print, codename "Baker"? It took years and finally (long after everyone had forgotten the darn contest) was put up as a web supplement in true anticlimactic fashion.

Remember "The Best Adventure I Never Wrote"? It was decided and then never released. The author was going to convert it to 4e, but that was not responded to until very recently when fans started talking about it again (a gentle reminder for the ole' WotC).

I just don't see WotC as actually caring or following through, so why bother to participate?

AllisterH

First Post
As a fan, I have learned to ignore any/all WotC "outreach" in the form of contests.

Remember the monster to be released in print, codename "Baker"? It took years and finally (long after everyone had forgotten the darn contest) was put up as a web supplement in true anticlimactic fashion.

Remember "The Best Adventure I Never Wrote"? It was decided and then never released. The author was going to convert it to 4e, but that was not responded to until very recently when fans started talking about it again (a gentle reminder for the ole' WotC).

I just don't see WotC as actually caring or following through, so why bother to participate?

Good points but then there's something more visible on not following through with say "Never split the party" and also the "dragonlance" contest.

AS an aside, I don't think WOTC is actually handling the contest for the footwear....

Scott_Rouse

Explorer

I can't speak for the promotions you are mentioning above as my team did not work on these.

About "Never Split The Party" and "Sell your Sole" those are happening and will have results. We have 128 entries for NSTP and we are flying one of those groups to GenCon for a great 4 days of gaming and some lucky designer is going have have a D&D shoe they made for sale (and $1000 in their pocket).

fba827

Adventurer
Interestingly, I haven't seen much comments/threads about the contests that wizards has been doing lately.

Right now on the D&D homepage, there's another contest "Design your own shoe" and just before that there was "never split the party" so I'm wondering, am I the only one that takes part in those contests?

You may have just been missing the threads because there has been a thread for both of those contests that you mentioned -- they usually surface the day the contest is announced.

Looking at the sell your sole thread, scott rouse himself posted that as of the time the contest opened they got about 4 entries right away. (something like that).

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, those contests are always US exclusive, so I don't really have a choice in the matter.

Apparently, differences in international laws currently make it practically impossible to allow us Europeans to participate in such contests.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We have 128 entries for NSTP ...

Only 128 entries?

Wow. The world out here really dropped the ball on that one - leaving chances to win running near 1% for just a bit of writing is a failure to take advantage of possibilities on our part.

AllisterH

First Post
I'm a DDI subscriber for right now, and had no idea there were any contests.

Is all this info located in the forums over there or something?

There are 3 contests I know of (The D&D website has a lot of cool stuff, but organization is not a high point unfortunately....There's no general "Contest Page" when there should be one IMO)

1. The "Sell your Sole" contest

2. The "Never split the party" contest

3. The "So you think you can Dragonlance" contest

Am I missing any recent ones?

Remove ads