No comments about the contests

Do you take part in the wizards.com D&D contests?

• Yes, I take part in all contests available

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No, I ignore the contests

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • Maybe, depends on the contest

Votes: 20 35.1%

Shemeska

Adventurer
Only 128 entries?

Wow. The world out here really dropped the ball on that one - leaving chances to win running near 1% for just a bit of writing is a failure to take advantage of possibilities on our part.

More than anything else anyone could speculate about, I think it's a comment on the website's user friendly navigation, or lack thereof. The only reason I even knew about the "Sell your Sole" contest and the Dragonlance contest was that there was a link on Enworld. Never saw anything on the WotC forums about it, and to take a page from Shia Labeouf, I'd rather eat broken glass than dig through the main website.

I never heard of the split the party content before now. And with only 128 entries, I don't think many people did either. Marketing or whoever else was running it dropped the ball something fierce.

That said, I actually won three small contests that WotC had over the years during the first several years that UnCon was running, and when Knowledge Arcana the fanzine was being hosted by WotC and had some quasi-official standing of sorts. I won a spell design contest and got some 3e character sheets, a demiplane creation contest and won a copy of Savage Species with a few folks there at WotC signing it for me, and I think I got my custom avatar on the WotC boards for the third win for writing a story that got into an issue of the original KA.

All of those contests were run and organized by some of the WizOs, back before Gleemax, back before a lot of them left/resigned, and prior to a metric ton of long-time posters leaving the WotC forums. At the time communication and community mood both were much better in my opinion. I don't notice when promotions and contests are run anymore unless I find it out second-hand through a website other than WotC's.

I can't speak for the promotions you are mentioning above as my team did not work on these.

About "Never Split The Party" and "Sell your Sole" those are happening and will have results. We have 128 entries for NSTP and we are flying one of those groups to GenCon for a great 4 days of gaming and some lucky designer is going have have a D&D shoe they made for sale (and $1000 in their pocket).
So you'd fly them from Europe?
Even NZ?

There are 3 contests I know of (The D&D website has a lot of cool stuff, but organization is not a high point unfortunately....There's no general "Contest Page" when there should be one IMO)

1. The "Sell your Sole" contest

2. The "Never split the party" contest

3. The "So you think you can Dragonlance" contest

Am I missing any recent ones?

see I really want to enter these, but 1 I dislike dragon lance, 2 the only people that split from our group were still in the state, and 3 I have no skill in artistic design...

How about the rouse start a "Why I love 4e" essay contest that allows us free tickets to Gen Con (even just 2 tickets would be good)

Holy Bovine

First Post
Only 128 entries?

Wow. The world out here really dropped the ball on that one - leaving chances to win running near 1% for just a bit of writing is a failure to take advantage of possibilities on our part.

Of course the 'world' in this case in just the USA. Not even Canadian residents can apply for them. And I had a great story for the NSTP contest :(

Remove ads