Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Traumatizing is better, since shocking indicates electricity. ;)

I wouldn't make it Disguise, for a similar reason as Shade. Make it a flat DC like camo.

Cleon

Legend
I wouldn't make it Disguise, for a similar reason as Shade. Make it a flat DC like camo.

I don't think anybody's arguing for giving it Disguise, we all seem to want a flat DC. Shall we rough out a description...

Damsel Lure (Ex): A giant damselfish can flutter its body and dorsal fin so it appears to be a drowning woman, either human or elf, to viewers on or above the water's surface. Viewers can attempt a DC 20 Spot or Sense Motive check to notice this "lady" is an imitation.

freyar

I guess I don't see that Sense Motive is going to help unless the viewer can already Spot a problem. I think I'd prefer to keep just to Spot. I'd be willing to say that viewers within a short range automatically see the trap (though make it too late, say 10 ft).

freyar

Traumatizing Charge it is.

Following Shade's vote:
Damsel Lure (Ex): A giant damselfish can flutter its body and dorsal fin so it appears to be a drowning woman, either human or elf, to viewers on or above the water's surface. Viewers can attempt a DC 20 Spot check to notice this "lady" is an imitation; these checks succeed automatically once the viewer is within 10 ft (though usually the damselfish attacks by that point).

Cleon

Legend
Traumatizing Charge it is.

Following Shade's vote:
Damsel Lure (Ex): A giant damselfish can flutter its body and dorsal fin so it appears to be a drowning woman, either human or elf, to viewers on or above the water's surface. Viewers can attempt a DC 20 Spot check to notice this "lady" is an imitation; these checks succeed automatically once the viewer is within 10 ft (though usually the damselfish attacks by that point).

That'd do, although I do admit to a fondness for the "Of course, by this time it is generally far too late." that ends the Mimic's mimic shape SQ, suggesting:

Damsel Lure (Ex): A giant damselfish can flutter its body and dorsal fin so it appears to be a drowning woman, either human or elf, to viewers on or above the water's surface. Viewers can attempt a DC 20 Spot check to notice this "lady" is an imitation. The Spot check will succeed automatically if the viewer is within 10 ft. Of course, by this time it is generally far too close to avoid the damselfish's attack.

Cleon

Legend

I'm thinking just Alertness for the feat, since Manta Rays and Sharks have it and I didn't really fancy most of the combat feats I could come up with - Ability Focus (Traumatizing Charge), for example, would be a bit too effective.

Challenge Rating: x

Advancement: 3-6 HD (Large)?

A giant damselfish averages 7-1/2 feet in length and weighs about x pounds.

CR1.

I'd rather it Advances to Large, maybe 3-4 HD (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)

Weight would be a few hundred pounds for a fish that size.

300 pounds?

freyar

The "Of course" line is perfect; I aimed for that and missed. ;)

Alertness, CR 1, and Cleon's weight are good.

Cleon, we already have the 2HD base creature at Large. Let's stick to that and Shade's advancement. Besides, it should be pretty big to have a Medium-sized lure.

Remove ads