Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Cleon

Legend
Agreed. Even if the real-world version isn't quite so hardy, the "gigantification" evolution could account for it.

I'll make the suggested revisions to the damselfish. Thanks, Cleon.

Don't mention it old bean, only too happy to oblige. :heh:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, then. Giant clownfish it is. Small animal, and we wanted Con 14 or 15. Probably lowish Str is ok, with averagish Dex. Int 1. Suggesting:

Str 9, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 8?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Want to make a fear effect out of this? It could just be flavor or maybe a bonus to Intimidate checks.

If egg-eating fish or small marine creatures move too close to a clownfish’s nest, it can scare off the intruders by making loud clicking sounds.

Cleon

Legend
I think an immunity to paralysis and poison should cover all the bases. After all, we need to give these guys something.

I have no objection to a flat immunity to paralysis and poison.

Ok, then. Giant clownfish it is. Small animal, and we wanted Con 14 or 15. Probably lowish Str is ok, with averagish Dex. Int 1. Suggesting:

Str 9, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 8?

Looks like a good start. I'd like to have the Dexterity a step higher (Dex 12-13). That'd give it an AC a point higher than a direct conversion, but I'd rather not cut its natural armour.

Want to make a fear effect out of this? It could just be flavor or maybe a bonus to Intimidate checks.

Since it only affects "small" creatures (maybe smaller than the clownfish?) I don't think it deserves a SA.

However, I would be game for increasing the Charisma so it doesn't get a penalty on its default Intimidate checks, although I suppose it doesn't deserve a high enough score for a Cha bonus.

Besides, aren't clownfish thought to be cute & charming little creatures?

So, I'm thinking:

Str 9, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 10

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Challenge Rating: 1/2?

Advancement: x

A giant clownfish averages 3 feet in length and weighs about x pounds.

That CR looks right to me.

Clownfish don't seem to vary much in size, so I'm thinking maybe they don't advance.

Advancement: —

If you don't like that idea we could have them go to Medium.

Advancement: 3-6 (Medium)

Clownfish are fairly stout though, so I'm thinking about 30 pounds for the weight?

Remove ads