Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Should it use Dex to modify Swim, rather than Str?

I'd like to steal a rank for Intimidate for the clucking, if you don't mind. And mention that they make noises to Intimidate small predators.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Betta, Giant
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
NO. APPEARING: 1 male, 1-8 females
ARMOR CLASS: 8
MOVE: //18”
HIT DICE: males 3 + 3, females 3 + 6
% IN LAIR: 55%
TREASURE TYPE: Q in nest
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1 bite
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-8
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Bonus "to hit"
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Animal
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: M (5’-6’ long)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil
LEVEL/X.P. VALUE: III/85 + 4/hp

Giant bettas, also known as giant Siamese fish, are somewhat similar to their smaller cousins. They inhabit fresh, tropical waters that are warm all year around. Giant bettas are encountered in schools which invariably contain one male fish and one or more female followers. Males are brightly colored, coming in red, blue, and green versions; females are always a drab green. Males have longer fins than females.

Male giant bettas are extremely hostile toward other males of their kind. If a male betta sees its own reflection in a mirrorlike surface, it will attack the reflection immediately, to the exclusion of any other enemy. The same applies to illusions the betta sees of other males. (Bettas receive no saving throw against illusions of this sort.) Male betas will attack other brightly colored objects they see in the water, gaining a +2 bonus “to hit” against them; this includes characters wearing flashy clothes, bright silvery armor that will reflect the betta’s coloration, and so forth. This does not apply to female bettas.

Male bettas will create a bubble nest when they desire to breed. A bubble nest is an underwater air pocket at least one cubic foot in volume, set under an overhanging rock, a collection of interlocked branches, or other suitable object. The male betta will inhale a large quantity of air at the surface, swim down to the place where the nest is being built, and exhale, forming the air pocket. Any leakage will be stoppered by scooping mud onto the leaking spot. The male might also collect a few small shiny objects to enhance the nest.s attractiveness (hence the presence of gems).

Upon finding a female, the male will have her lay eggs in the bubble nest and will then chase the female away before she has a chance to eat the eggs. The male will guard the nest for two days, after which time the eggs hatch. After a short period of time, the male betta will eat whatever young remain in the area; the rest must scatter and hide.

Young males soon start attacking each other and separate to go their own ways. Young bettas are born with 1 hp and gain a full hit die every three months. Their bite damage becomes effective against other creatures when they are three months old, doing 1-4 points damage. When they are six months old they do 1-6 hp damage, and finally they reach adulthood (and normal bite damage) at nine months of age.

Bettas live in shallow waters not over 100’ deep. They have to come to the surface and gulp air to breathe. Though males can be dangerous to underwater adventurers in the tropics, female bettas will attack only if hungry or if attacked themselves.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #94 (1985).

freyar

First question, I guess: are the males and females distinct enough to warrant separate stats?

EDIT: Here are 2 wikipedia articles
Betta
Siamese Fighting Fish
From these, I gather that these fish can breathe from the atmosphere, but they don't have to (unless they're in poorly oxygenated water).

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
First question, I guess: are the males and females distinct enough to warrant separate stats?

Hmm, the only difference appears to be the females three extra hit points.

Since the males are the aggressive ones, I'm thinking we should stat those up and give them a couple of combat-feats, then add an underbar than females have Toughness instead of one of combat feats?

Alternatively, we could give them slightly different stats - +2 Str for males, +2 Con for females.

Either way, I'd fancy jazzing up the males a little.

How about giving them a rage-like power if they see something that reminds them of another male?

freyar

I think the underbar for the females would be sufficient, whichever route we take.

A rage power is a good idea, and I think some version of water dependent would work for the air breathing.

Cleon

Legend
I think the underbar for the females would be sufficient, whichever route we take.

A rage power is a good idea, and I think some version of water dependent would work for the air breathing.

Okie-dokie, so something like this:

Rage (Ex): A male betta will fly into a fury if it sees another male, gaining +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, and -2 AC. It even rages at the sight of its own reflection, meaning it will berserkly attack creatures wearing highly-polished armour. The fish cannot end its rage voluntarily, fighting to the death as long as it can see its rival.

and this:

Water Dependent (Ex): Betta can breathe air as well as water, so can live in oxygen-less water by gulping down air from the surface. They can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules).

Remove ads