Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The wording is clear, but the intent is not because it doesn't make any sense that the 2nd veil grants a +2 bonus while the 3rd, 4th, etc, veils add a +1 bonus. That's the problem. Each additional veil should add the same bonus, so the DM doesn't have to question what the designer is thinking. :p If you don't want to be constrained by Aid Another, let's just say that the "bonus" for the first veil is already in the DC we stated for a single veil, so it is +1 per additional veil.

Cleon

Legend
The wording is clear, but the intent is not because it doesn't make any sense that the 2nd veil grants a +2 bonus while the 3rd, 4th, etc, veils add a +1 bonus. That's the problem. Each additional veil should add the same bonus, so the DM doesn't have to question what the designer is thinking. :p

I don't see that there's any difference in how much sense it makes in either case. We've had similar SA in the CC that go both ways. For example, the Saluqi's Pack Overrun uses a bonus equal to the number of monsters (like the version I favour), while the Pack Spider's Swarmfighting uses a bonus equal to the number of additional monsters (like you appear to prefer).

It all comes down to taste in the end, and I fear it might be a long while before either of our tastes change!

What we really need is a third party to arbitrarily apply their taste to break the deadlock (assuming they don't fancy a 3rd option to make this debate even more protracted ;)).

If you don't want to be constrained by Aid Another, let's just say that the "bonus" for the first veil is already in the DC we stated for a single veil, so it is +1 per additional veil.

So, just to be clear, when you say you want to include the "bonus" for the first veil you still want the DCs to go 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 from the first to seventh veils, you're not wanting a +1 for the first veil and have the DCs go 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25?

In either case, am I right in thinking you want a "multiveil" paragraph worded something like:

If the opponent is entangled in more than one veil, the enemy only needs to make a single Escape Artist or Strength check to escape, but the DC to escape is increased by +1 per additional veil.​

freyar

I don't think the saluqi are a precedent for the version you've suggested. The Pack Overrun gives a bonus to a check, rather than a flat (ability determined) DC. Plus there have to be at least 4 saluqi in the pack in the first place!

I don't really mind either way if the DC starts at 18 or 19 (though with 19, we'd have to include a +1 racial bonus or something), but you have the idea right about the paragraph.

Cleon

Legend
I don't think the saluqi are a precedent for the version you've suggested. The Pack Overrun gives a bonus to a check, rather than a flat (ability determined) DC. Plus there have to be at least 4 saluqi in the pack in the first place!

I don't really mind either way if the DC starts at 18 or 19 (though with 19, we'd have to include a +1 racial bonus or something), but you have the idea right about the paragraph.

That's what I thought, so it seems we're still stuck since I would much rather have my "+1 per veil if entangled with multiple veils" version.

Has enworld got its built-in dice generator working yet? If so, we could decide which to use with the flip of a d2. :cool:

freyar

There is some kind of dice roller, let me try with a d6 and then I can do a d2 in the next post if I figure it out.

It's something like

[1d6]
or
{1d6}

EDIT: That didn't work. Maybe it's [roll]1d6[/roll] or [roll]3d4[/roll]. Oh, I see, can't add a dice roll in an edit to change them...

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
So what do you do, just type dX between brackets?

I'll give it a go.

(d6)
[d6]
[roll0]

The last one of those seems to work.

OK then, we can do this!

So how are we going to do this. Have a dice-off where each of us rolls a d6 and the highest wins, or shall one of us roll a die and the other call "odds or evens"!

Finally we have discovered a means of breaking impasses which does not require the hiring of assassins or the creation of a Triumverate! :lol:

Remove ads