Discussion - General Discussion Thread 2010-17

Errandir

First Post
I have put Team Cleric in a pickle, one cleric down, one warrior at 1 hp, and in their attempt to bottleneck the enemy they in turn are now close to surounded. :erm: (I am totally a bad DM wish their was a way to playtest my adventure first.)

It's okay, we still love you. :p

And I actually think we could survive the encounter as we are if we had to. If Viktor pulls Dane's body back behind Midias so he can be healed, we can all shift backwards into the passageway next round. Then only one skeleton can attack each round, and my total defense means it would need a natural 20 to hit.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the extra HP, either.

Knight Otu

First Post
So as far as a party so far I see:

Actually, Ashnar would also be available for adventure. I'm not sure, but I think she'll level from the experience of the current adventure, though.

----------

As a bit of an off-topic request, I'm taking part in a play-by-post strategy game on a different forum (bay12games, which you may or may not know for Dwarf Fortress). (Discussion thread; game thread) The GM wanted each player to have a second to discuss strategy, post turns in a timely manner, etc, but only three players actually have one, and I'm one of those who don't.

Bront

The man with the probe
Yes, I did mean the Katara, the catlike people. I was typing from memory instead of looking up the right name. :)
They are playable, I wrote them for LEW :)

BTW, my access is still screwy to Enworld, so no LEW for me till maybe march.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ok got past the skeletin problems with a timely Turn undead check. :confused:

But I still think Reis needs to be approved please. (And thank you)

Now I need my judge to approve the XP awards for that enconter so if anyone has seen Manzanita around please let me know.

Seems I'm always needed when I come to this thread. Hmmm wonder how I could stop that lol.

In other news I have one approval for the LVL 10 adventure :lol:

HM

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
a note on activity (or lack thereof) in the tavern thread

Regarding the inactivity recently in the tavern thread: that means that nobody has been role-playing what's happening there. It doesn't mean that our characters all suddenly vanished.

Keep in mind that we have an unexplained "variable time" mechanic in LEW. There's no scale for converting real-time to game-time. In some threads, it takes six months to play out a day's activity; in others, a week of game time goes by in a single DM post.

If the last post in the tavern thread was months ago, that doesn't mean that in months of game time the place has been quiet. More likely, that period of several months of real time represents a few seconds of game time. That way, when life returns to the thread, there is no discontinuity. On the other hand, to suppose that everybody suddenly left without any indication -- if the last post was someone talking, and that person has not since been indicated to have left, then that assumption would force an awkward discontinuity on the thread.

HolyMan, you may want to edit your recent tavern post to take this interpretation into consideration.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
And here I thought I was being helpful. I was simply implying by my post that my character comes back to the RDI one morning (any morning) and finds the place empty, possible due to it being early.

Then people could bring their characters into the RDI anyway they wish. Coming down from their room, back from a trip to visit friends or buying equipment, etc.

The point here is that in RL the RDI has been quiet for almost 5 months and I was trying to help give it a kick start. To have people post their characters back in, and get them conversating.

The problem here is change. Everything about LEW is changing and nobody is willing to let it. Maybe after 3 years of not posting a character should have been NPC out, with a "be back later" or at least "around but not in the common room". And how often does the RDI go quiet for so long? (Can't tell me that isn't a change.)

Maybe starting at first lvl is to low to draw in players and without players you'll never get DM's. Even if you had 10 approved adventures posted in the RDI, I don't see where you could get 50+ characters to go on them. And you won't get 10 adventures by restricting the DM's in almost everything they wish to do. It leads to people running something way off what they wanted to do, and then they don't go through the process again.

Question: How many adventure proposals have been made for LEW the last year? And out of them how many where changed way off from the original? And after all that how many DM's posted up another adventure?

Why would I want to change my post I thought it very creative and at least I'm trying to breath some life into this Living World. But you could just ignore it (seems to have worked in the past).

I'm just saying this isn't the LEW of the past and we should start re-modeling it, so it has a future.

HM

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
Why would I want to change my post I thought it very creative and at least I'm trying to breath some life into this Living World. But you could just ignore it (seems to have worked in the past).

I was making a suggestion that, in my opinion, would have been more effective at achieving what I thought you were trying to do. If you want to get a little more life in the tavern thread, how does it help to assume that a bunch of characters who were in the RDI have already left? Characters that aren't there, can't contribute.

To take an example: I have a bard character who was in the tavern and was actively being roleplayed a few months ago. I had supposed that he had stopped in on his frequent travels, intending to go back to Monemvassia to attend to his business there. I had figured that if an appropriate adventure hook showed up while he was there, he'd get waylaid; if not, I'd roleplay for a little while, and then have him wish everyone farewell to send him to Monemvassia.

My life got much busier in the meantime, and right now I'm not up to starting an adventure, even if a suitable one comes along. So, it'd be a good time for me to have him depart. If your character had shown up while he was still around, Nurlan would introduce himself, get to know Jonah, probably find a song to dedicate to him. That's his style. Maybe their interaction would wake up the lurkers, get them to reenergize their characters. Maybe not, but could it hurt?

That's not going to happen. Nurlan evidently is already on the road to Monemvassia, having departed in some "off-camera" break. That happens -- not everything our characters does has to be played out, so there's no continuity issue in assuming that characters left at some point. But what this means is: he's not in there to meet Jonah. It doesn't make sense for him to go back. In his storyline, he's been away from Monemvassia for a while, and when he last returned to the Red Dragon Inn it was clear that he was en route. So, once he's left, he isn't about to suddenly reappear in Orussus.

Do you get my point? If you're trying to do what you say, I think it's counterproductive, doesn't matter how creative. I was just making a suggestion that I think would help.

I'm just saying this isn't the LEW of the past and we should start re-modeling it, so it has a future.

A fine goal. I just don't understand what assuming that a bunch of existing characters have all left the tavern while off camera has to do with that objective.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I didn't say anyone left but i did say it was early morning so what I was hoping for was a bunch of entering posts as People woke up and came down from their rooms (The RDI has rooms right?). Your character could have come down had some breakfast and talked to Jonah before setting out.

Trouvere thought I kicked everyone from the inn not the case just from the common room. Which after 5 months, come on shouldn't have stepped on anyone's toes.

Was thinking of a proposal to "reset" the RDI every year for at least one way to stir the pot and get people talking. What do you think about that when a new thread starts it starts at a new day where everyone returns/comes down to the common room.

Things like people in conversation at the end of the year could be played off with something like "It's getting late we can talk more in the morning." or some such. But a reset I think would get people at least thinking of what their characters and LEW.

HM

Remove ads