[TV] Doctor Who

Doug McCrae

Legend
I wonder which they will be this tome round?
I think the historical episodes are generally the best, particularly the ones where the Doctor meets a famous person from history - The Shakespeare Code, The Unquiet Dead (Dickens), The Girl in the Fireplace (Madame de Pompadour), Victory of the Daleks (Churchill). No coincidence that two of these were written by Gatiss, and one by 'the Grand' Moff, the two best New Who writers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the historical episodes are generally the best, particularly the ones where the Doctor meets a famous person from history - The Shakespeare Code, The Unquiet Dead (Dickens), The Girl in the Fireplace (Madame de Pompadour), Victory of the Daleks (Churchill). No coincidence that two of these were written by Gatiss, and one by 'the Grand' Moff, the two best New Who writers.

Interesting (Girl in the Fireplace aside) that's a good list of some of my least favourite episodes.

Herschel

Adventurer
Yeah, Girl In The Fireplace is one of my favorites but The Victory of the Daleks was kind of a stinker for me. The other two I enjoyed well enough (as well as Tooth & Claw).

horacethegrey

First Post
Well… rather late to the party here. Chalk it up to being busy enjoying the new season before giving my two cents. But now seems as good a time as any to post my thoughts on Steven Moffat’s first season on Doctor Who.
Let’s start with the characters then:

The 11th Doctor – Brilliant. Just brilliant. Matt Smith has certainly won me over with his mad professor take on the last Timelord. There’s a gleeful mix of elderly wisdom and childlike wonder in his performance that reminds me of Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton, but with more youthful energy (not surprising, considering he’s only 27). He also carries himself with a quiet confidence that we can relate to, unlike the smugness and overbearing arrogance David Tennant displayed in much of his run. While those brief flashes of anger he showed in Ep 2 and 3 were quite good, as was the anguish he displayed in Ep 5, it’s nice to see that his portrayal won’t be mired in the same emotive drivel that mired much of Tennant’s later seasons.

I know it’s too early to tell, but I’m already enjoying Smith’s take on the Doctor much more than Tennant at this point. If he keeps it up he may even exceed my favorite, Chris Eccleston.

Amy Pond – Well, at least she’s hot. :D Kidding aside though, Amelia Pond has turned out to be an interesting new companion. Much credit should be given to Karen Gillan, who’s a surprisingly better actress than I realized. Aside from her feisty nature, she also has a surprising duality, struggling with her childlike innocence despite her grown up sensibilities. Not surprising, due to her history with the Doctor (having met him as a child then again as an adult). It gives their relationship a unique dynamic unlike any other in the show’s history. I look forward how it develops in the future.

Now for the episodes

The Eleventh Hour – A wonderful debut for the 11th Doctor, and IMO a better new series introduction story than Rose (the 9th Doctor) and The Christmas Invasion (the 10th Doctor). Full of fun whimsical moments (young Amy feeding the Doctor), and some genuine frights (Prisoner Zero’s introduction), it hits all the right notes. A nice intro to new characters (Amy, Rory), and new threats (the crack in Amy’s wall), it’s a near perfect Doctor Who story and a good appetizer for what is to come in the season. Bravo to Steven Moffat to an excellent start to his run.

The Beast Below – I really don’t get the dislike for this story. I think it’s a great tale with a difficult moral choice for the Doctor at the end. Save the whale or save the humans? Neither choice appeals to him of course, so you can understand his brief anger at all humanity near the end. But it’s Amy who makes the choice in the end which saves everyone in a very moving resolution. Remarkable.

Victory of the Daleks – I don’t think this story is as bad as everyone says, but even I had to raise an eyebrow at the Mighty Morphin Daleks. :confused: Still it’s a bit of disappointment from Mark Gattis, who gave us the wonderful The Unquiet Dead in Season 1. I did enjoy Ian McNiece as Churchill though.

The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone – Blink was my favourite Moffat episode from the RTD era and the Weeping Angels are the best monsters ever created IMO in the show’s history. That said, while this two parter doesn’t quite achieve the same quality of Moffat his best, it’s still an excellent ride with some genuinely scary moments. And really, I don’t get the all the complaints of the Angels being ruined now that they have new abilities to play with. In my estimation this story wouldn’t have been as frightening if the Angels weren’t able to surprise us once in awhile. Smith and Gillan are again in top form, but the guest stars nearly steal the show. Iain Glein is great as Father Octavian, as is the returning Alex Kingston as River Song (another character whom people hate, which I don’t get either. I think it’s great that the Doctor has a relationship with a character that isn’t in linear time. Makes for some genuinely interesting scenarios.)

And as for tonight’s episode:

The Vampires of Venice – Judging from the previews I knew this episode wasn’t going to be scary (despite the “vampires” in the title, and really, can you top the Angels in terms of scaryness? In a follow up no less?). What I didn’t expect was how funny this week’s episode would be. There are some genuinely hysterical moments here, particularly between Rory (the excellent Arthur Darvill) and the Doctor. And may I say, although I know I’m probably going to be lynched for this, the sheer comic timing Matt displays here shows what a better actor he is than David Tennant (who at times forced his comedy and often mugged for the camera). The monsters may not be that remarkable, as is the plot, but it’s still fun. Plus, you can't beat that wonderful Venetian scenery (Assassin's Creed 2 FTW!);).

Felon

First Post
Amy Pond – Well, at least she’s hot. :D Kidding aside though, Amelia Pond has turned out to be an interesting new companion.
She just seems like the same pert little woman we've seen over and over again. That scene from yesterday's "Vampires in Venice" where the Doctor and Amy are all giddy as schoolgirls about encountering something that should rightfully terrify them....We've had that scene before.

Herschel

Adventurer
I'm liking Amy a lot. She's a little more "active" in coming up with solutions than a lot of companions are. "Vampires of Venice" was another good episode and I'm liking Mat Smith more and more all the time. He's still not Tennant or Eccleston, but he's getting there quickly. I like him better than most of the older doctors already.

talwynor

First Post
They won't get Eccleston; Tennant might be willing to do it if he's not busy, but he seems fairly determined to forge a new career now. Either way, it's a couple of Doctors away yet, so who knows what those actors will be doing in ten years' time?

I came to the new Dr Who run during Tennant's run after being "somewhat" familiar with the program from back in the day. Why is Eccleston definitely out? I know he only did the one season but wasn't watching at the time to know why he didn't come back.

Last edited:

I know he only did the one season but wasnt watching at the time to know why he didnt come back.

Well, I know that he very specifically only signed on for one season, with the understanding that he'd regenerate at the end of it. It was (I believe) mostly a way to give the new version of the show some legitimacy--by casting a well respected, "real" actor--and it was supposed to be a major surprise, but the news that he was only there for one season leaked early.

However, I don't know what makes Morrus so certain he couldn't be talked into coming back for a season under my proposed (admittedly fanciful and unlikely) scenario.

Remove ads