Adv: Rhapsody; Judge: renau1g

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=Nyar]You doubt any of these items would be found in Rhapsody. Studying them however does give you some insights into the stocking. It's clear to you that these shelves used to be much fuller, with useful, though mundane herbs.

Clearly, Rhapsody has taken precedence over the regular business of the Key Sip, and it's not being made here.[/sblock]

The next room opens up, to reveal what looks like a changing room. You find a couple pf benches and some lockers. A quick search of the room reveals a set of chainmail, two sets of leather armor, a light shield, a heavy shield, two maces, a great club, two short swords, a net and four daggers.

johnmeier1

Explorer
Baern moves quickly around the corner past Dalvach, eager to find something of interest. He tries to stay quiet as he approaches the din of the Battle Pit.

[sblock=OOC] Baern will first move to the corner at Q6 and look around it, then moving down the hall if no one is there 1d20+1=20 Stealth
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
Nyar gets close to Dalvach and Baern.

"I'm having a hard time connected the Battle Pitt, ahead of us, and the Rhapsody drug. Are they drugging the fighters to improve performance? Or drugging them to fight? Or maybe the same criminal organization just owns both facilities? Mayhaps we will find the missing halflings ahead."

Nyar pauses, "The sound of cheering certainly worries me that we are walking into trouble. Lead on noble dwarfs."

[sblock=ooc] I'm ready to proceed, just figured I should be behind the dwarfs when we look and go around the corner. [/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Our three heroes move carefully around the corner as quietly as they can. The hall opens up in a very bright room about fifty feet down. Its a good forty feet to reach the two final doors before you get there. You slowly approach, thinking to at least listen at the doors before moving forward.

You only get about halfway down the hall before a large metal portcullis slides out of a trap door in ceiling right behind Nyar, effectively walling you in. As horrid as it seems it gets worse a moment later. You hear a chain slide into place from somewhere behind a wall and a large crank starts turning. The portcullis is getting closer. No matter what you do it slowly comes down the hallway, forcing you towards the bright light.

You quickly try for one of the doors but find it locked. You have no choice as the portcullis meets the opening. You cross the threshold and find yourself thrust into an arena. A second portcullis falls and the first starts cranking back.

An audience cheers as you get you're bearing and instinctively go on the defensive. Looking around and you immediately smell sweat and decay. Blood stains the dirt floor and you are surrounded by a thirty-five foot wall topped with spikes pointing in. It certainly doesn't look like an easy climb. Directly across from you, the audience is raised five more feet up, as a stage. You sir a stern, looking female elf with a blade on her hip, wearing Valanar Armor. Opposite stands a fat tiefling in robes.

More directly alarming is the two people center. One you know well enough. Audrey is bound with rope and chain, a gag in her mouth. She stands barely conscious. Holding her up is none other than Dalvach's old friend, the halfling Melkin Giadan. A wicked grin crosses his lips, as his form slowly shifts. His hair melts away and his ropes turn to leather. A changeling stands in his place. He takes a step back and the tiefling steps forward.

The tiefling opens his mouth and his words seem magically amplified. A good thing too. You would guess anyone would be hard to hear your shouts over the noise of the crowd.

"We have special entertainment tonight!" The crowd roars even louder. "Thieves among us! But not the smartest of thieves!" Laughter. "You work hard, and honor us with your patronage and they try and sneak in to steal the little funds we take in to keep you entertained!"

Boos erupt from the crowd and some begin to throw food. "We already caught one. Let's see what we can do about the others!" The crowd roars again and the north and south portcullises begin to crank up. Small shadowy figures behind them.

----------------------------------------------------

Initiative please.

White boxes are doors or portcullises. Wavy lines are curtains. The walls are 35 ft and lined with spikes, except on the platform. That's 40 ft and lined with spikes.

Feel free to place yourselves in slightly different positions but no actions besides that until your first turn.

You may make one skill check before initiative for free, as well as take free actions.

[sblock=map]
Arena01.png
[/sblock]

modest

First Post
Dalvach furrows his brow and rubs the socket underneath his eye patch. "Aside from all the drugs, the connection between the Pit and the 'Sip doesn't seem that nefarious. Competitors get hurt and get brought here for healing, right?" He reflects on his comment then perks up with another, "Unless the Sip sponsored fighters and drugged them so they will win. Make a bet or two and keep the coin rolling in. I can't imagine a mundane shop like the 'Sip makes too much gold. Ach! There I am thinking about gold again."

Dalvach recognizes he's speaking his rambling rant out loud halfway down the corridor where Baern has been moving so quietly. He pauses, and freezes in place. He whispers the next thing he says. "Sorry lads." Dalvach looks down the hallway and squints.

[sblock=Perception?] 1d20+9 → [7,9] = (16) Roll Lookup [/sblock]
[sblock=Initiative] 1d20+3 → [8,3] = (11) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2558408/ [/sblock]

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
"Well, things just... got... interesting."

Nyar focuses his wand in front of him.

"Let's make sure there aren't any more surprises..." He focuses, searching for any magic traps or magically hidden creatures.

[sblock=arcana] 1d20+12 → [16,12] = (28) Roll Lookup [/sblock]

[sblock=initiative] 1d20+5 → [13,5] = (18) Roll Lookup [/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Init: +5 Speed: 6 Perception:13 Insight: 18
AC: 17 NAD: F: 13 R:18 W:16 (+2 vs. Illusion Attacks/Perception)
HP: 33/33 Surges: 6/6 Surge Value: 8 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Primordial
Str:8 Dex:16 Wis:12 Con:11 Int:20 Cha:10

Powers:
At-Will: Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Magic Missle, Storm Pillar, Scorching Burst
Encounter: Empowering Lightning, Pinioning Vortex, Second Wind, Wand of Accuracy, Otherworldly Lore
Daily: Bracers of Escape, Sleep [/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Baern looks worried and his hands begin to twitch. The one holding the handaxe goes back and he reaches his other over his head. Not your fault, friend, this always happens in the end. His eyes begin to take on the calculating look of a hunter.

[sblock=OOC] Put me next to Dalvach, it is important to be adjacent, see my Triggers
Dungeoneering (what is the climb DC on that wall?) or something 1d20+12=16
Initiative 1d20+2=7
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Triggers: Disruptive Strike (adjacent enemy attacks Baern or ally), Unbalancing Parry (enemy misses Baern with melee attack), Battle Awareness (adjacent enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Baern)
Init: +2 Speed: 5 Perception:22 Insight: 15
AC: 20 NAD:18/14/16
HP: 47/47 Surges: 8/8 Surge Value: 11 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Str:19 Dex:10 Wis:16 Con:15 Int:10 Cha:10

Powers:
At-Will: Hunter's Quarry, Throw and Stab, Twin Strike
Encounter: Disrupting Strike, Off-Hand Strike, Second Wind, Unbalancing Parry, Battle Awareness
Daily: Chainmail of Dwarven Vigor, Jaws of the Wolf, Opportunistic Waraxe

Full Character Sheet [/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=Nyar]You don't sense any other immediate aura or illusions. This all too real. A couple of things catch your eye though. The female elf is almost certainly packing enchanted armor and sword.

In addition, Audrey seems to be under some kind of stupor. Wether it's a spell, poison or an enchantment of her bonds you cannot tell.[/sblock]

[sblock=Baern]It's a DC 16 Athletics to climb the wall. Just like a normal climb you'd only move at half speed. Once you get to the top it's a DC 22 to get over the spikes safely.[/sblock]

The group moves closer together while trying to gather as much information about their surrounding as they quickly can. From out of each entrance comes two kobolds, wearing armor of tiny metal scales, and wielding sword and shield.

----------------------------------------------------

Initiative!

Round 1

18; Nyar; G14; 33/33;
16; Kobolds
1; N5
2; O4
3; O22
4; N23
11; Dalvach; I15; 43/43;
7; Baern; I14; 47/47;

White boxes are doors or portcullises. Wavy lines are curtains. The walls are 35 ft and lined with spikes, except on the platform. That's 40 ft and lined with spikes.

[sblock=map]
Arena02.png
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
"I hate being a pawn, but it seems we have to play this game to further ourselves."

Nyar points 'Tinder' to the southern kobolds.

"I might suggest that we stay back from the podium in case our 'benefactors' wanted to contribute their trouble to this mix."

With a flick of the wand, fire explodes near the southern kobolds.

[sblock=actions] Scorching burst +8. #3 1d20+8 → [7,8] = (15), #4
1d20+8 → [15,8] = (23) Roll Lookup

Damage 1d6+6, 1d6 → ([4, 6], [6]) Roll Lookup So 10 damage, and if I hit the first one 15 vs. reflex he takes 16.

Shift to square I 14 [/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Init: +5 Speed: 6 Perception:13 Insight: 18
AC: 17 NAD: F: 13 R:18 W:16 (+2 vs. Illusion Attacks/Perception)
HP: 33/33 Surges: 6/6 Surge Value: 8 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Primordial
Str:8 Dex:16 Wis:12 Con:11 Int:20 Cha:10

Powers:
At-Will: Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Magic Missle, Storm Pillar, Scorching Burst
Encounter: Empowering Lightning, Pinioning Vortex, Second Wind, Wand of Accuracy, Otherworldly Lore
Daily: Bracers of Escape, Sleep [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads