Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes - finale

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Well, I loved Life on Mars. I watched the first couple of episodes of Ashes to Ashes and didn't really like that very much, so didn't bother with it.

However, I've just watched the season 3 finale of Ashes to Ashes, and It. Was. Amazing.

A brilliant storyline which managed to explain everything from LoM and AtA and in the process not only did no damage to the earlier stories, but actually dovetailed perfectly.

Great scriptwriters DO exist in the UK. :)

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I watched Life on Mars and loved it, the ending made me tear up something fierce. I got through Season 1 of Ashes to Ashes and kinda forgot to pick it up. I think I'll do a marathon this weekend, and watch Season 2 and 3.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I only caught a couple episodes of the American and British versions of Life on Mars and of Ashes to Ashes...

Even though I couldn't keep watching (for RW reasons), I thought the concept and writing were top-notch.

And having enjoyed a lot of other British genre TV shows lately- the venerable Dr Who, Torchwood, Sea of Souls, Primeval, Afterlife, Apparitions, Strange, Being Human- I think they're doing a better job than we are the past few years.

nerfherder

Explorer
Series 2 & 3 of Ashes to Ashes were a big improvement on Series 1. If you enjoyed Life on Mars, I'd recommend you watch them. I agree - the finale was one of the best I've ever seen.

MarkB

Legend
I loved Life on Mars, but disliked the ending for the simple reason that I hated the idea of
such vibrant, individual characters being merely part of someone else's dream.

Ashes to Ashes
redeemed that factor for me, at first by implication and then, in the finale, explicitly. I was very glad to have followed it through to the end.

Remove ads