Science Fiction: Greatest TV Shows Part III

Ryujin

Legend
WHY DID THE ALIEN SHAPESHIFT INTO EARTH ANIMALS? WHERE IS VICTOR BERGMAN??
I figured that she "saw it in a book", but she did also change into alien creatures. I did miss Bergman and Paul Morrow, and wondered where this oh-so-suddently important security chief came from, since he wasn't in season 1. They totally Guy Fleegmaned him.

Irlo

Hero
I figured that she "saw it in a book", but she did also change into alien creatures. I did miss Bergman and Paul Morrow, and wondered where this oh-so-suddently important security chief came from, since he wasn't in season 1. They totally Guy Fleegmaned him.
That makes as much sense as the moon careening through space, I guess.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
FlashyFoolishFallowdeer-max-1mb.gif
Oh.

Dear.

Still, I suppose I now at least know what an encounter with this looks like in real life.

rwd7s.jpg

I like a lot of your list so I’ll add some honorable mentions

V-1980’s was a mini series and then a series. Great cast for its time
Buck rogers in the 25th century-to me it was just fun for its time
Original lost in space-another show that I saw on reruns-same as above
The expanse-great show and ended somewhst
Dark-brilliant stuff
Travelers-low budget but I loved it

So many others that are sci-fi like heroes or Buffy/angel. Or lost

ilgatto

How inconvenient
(...)
1. The show must be complete, and have lasted at least one full season. In other words, no matter how much you like The Expanse or Stranger Things they are just not eligible. This also means no miniseries (not a "season") and not beloved shows that have been cancelled prior to airing a full season. That means you, Firefly. Please note, however, pace no. 5, below, that if a show has been around forever (with "forever" being defined as at least 10 years) in multiple incarnations (Doctor Who) or multiple series (Star Trek), it is eligible.

11. Science fiction should be given as wide as possible of a definition; if in doubt, it should be science fiction. However, shows like Game of Thrones are probably better as "fantasy" so I'll leave it at that. You can apply your own definition.

I would vehemently argue for a single exception to rule #1, also known as the Dexter Rule, for it prevents The OA from being mentioned here - or, indeed, in any other of these lists. First, because The OA is easily better than anything in these lists (I should probably add something IMO, IMHO, and MP-NDP to this just to be on the safe side). Second, because, technically speaking, the show is complete - it's just that not all of it has been filmed.
I suggest the rule is to be called the Brit Marling (And Zal Batmanglij) Exception To The Dexter Rule For Reasons That Otherwise None Of These Lists Can Ever Include Mention Of The OA Rule, or, for short, the BM(AZB)ETTDRFRTONOTLCEIMOTOAR rule.

Clint_L

Hero
1. Watchmen - better than the graphic novel that inspired it, and that's saying something!

2. The Expanse - Watchmen aside the most culturally relevant and politically astute show on my list (Andor would be ahead of it, but it's not complete).

3. The Twilight Zone - so many iconic episodes; a pop culture touchstone.

4. Star Trek - often cheesy and some versions lose the plot a bit, but the core series (OG, NG, DS9, Voyager) are tonally consistent and the hallmark of TV sci-fi.

5. The X-Files - as Snarff noted, it lingered too long, but when it had the right director or writer raised the bar for television in general. Loses points because the most sci-fi part of it - the long running alien abduction plot - was the least interesting part of the show.

6. The Outer Limits - arguably the better sci-fi show than Twilight Zone.

7. Jessica Jones - The first season particularly raises the bar on using super powers to explore trauma.

8. Legion - The weirdest, most conceptually interesting superhero show I've seen.

9. Firefly - I'm counting Serenity. Whedon's "space western" (not a super original concept; see o.g. Star Trek, not to mention Star Wars) had great cast chemistry and should have lasted longer.

10. Battlestar Galactica (reboot) - I loved the original when I was a kid, but the reboot is far superior as serious sci-fi that explored a lot of the same ideas as Westworld, but better.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Ugh! How can you do that!??!!

I am such a completist. If I start a show, I MUST FINISH IT.

Which is why I will never, ever, ever get back the countless hours of my life that were the last four seasons of Dexter.

I AM STILL BITTER.
But did you watch the new season they had a few years ago where they come back?

Honestly it was quite good, it really redeemed for me a lot of what got messed up with those later seasons.

Stalker0

Legend
As far as I’m concerned, the expanse is “finished”. It had a known ending (it wasn’t suddenly cancelled), it wrapped up the main season story points,etc.

Just because the world continues doesn’t mean it doesn’t close up main plot points and end.

To me this rule is more for things like firefly that are suddenly cancelled before anything could be resolved

Remove ads