Someone has MM3 at RPG.Net

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I don't know what the current "rules" are, but a lot of game stores sell books early when they're actually not supposed to. :erm: AFAIK you're not supposed to sell them until the release date.
There is the regular release date, and there is Core+ sale date for the Core stores which is 10 days earlier, not "When received."

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Some questions
Choldrith - its like a Dryder (so, a woman/spider thing)
Forsaken - humanoids possessed by spirits of dead gods
Meazle - a race of deseased, cursed cannibals
Nagpa - vulture looking humanoid wizard types
Nerra - immortal creature made of mirrors

The fey I see are:

Drow (well, IMHO, they don't really count, but 7 types), Gremlin, Hags (3 types), Nymph (5 types), Oblivion Moss (6 types), Su Monster (3 types), Verbeerg (3 types), Wilden (3 types), Xivort (4 types)

So, not as much as I though - I guess so many at the end of the book gave me the wrong impression.

That said, there is a bunch of stuff with a strong "natural" feel - Yeti's, giant frogs, spiders, girillions and the like.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
WHAT are the following monsters?
Choldrith
Forsaken
Meazle
Nagpa
Nerra
"Choldriths are always female, and they resemble driders, except their skin is pale." They are the most powerful monster in the Chitine section, all natural humanoids with the spider keyword. They are priestesses of Lolth.

Forsaken are epic humanoids inhabited by the divine energy of gods slain while in the natural world. They're all blind and have a triggered action called Fragment of Immortality.

"Wretched survivors of a cruel pact with an arch devil, the diseased and disfigured meazles feast on living beings, craving humanoid flesh above all else." Creepy looking buggers. All have a nasty aura called Wretched Curse of Baalzebul.

The Nagpas are former servants of the primordials, "bestowed with the cunning of devils and the beauty of nymphs." But they betrayed their masters, so "the primordials transformed them into hideous creatures with an insatiable appetite for wealth and bodily comforts." The primordials did a good job, because they're really ugly now.

Nerra are now from an astral dominion called the Constellation of Eyes, but they're still heavily mirror-flavored of course.

Anyway, I gleaned the above fluff from the appropriate entries. I want to call out a point I haven't seen mentioned. There is a LOT of story here. MANY entries begin with a FULL PAGE of text giving lore and artwork. The encounter groups are gone, replaced by a single paragraph describing likely allies. The new stat block formats are awesome. I think WotC nailed it this time. The best part is that they've revisited some iconic monsters with the improved format: giants, gargoyles, ghouls, gnolls, minotaurs, ogres.

For me, the most welcome sight: "Air, earth, fire, and water elementals are the purest of their kind. Any spellcaster who wants to dabble in the summoning and binding of elemental entities first starts with these simple elemental creatures." Small, medium, and large, levels 1, 11, and 21 (plus or minus one, depending on the element). And they're pretty interesting mechanically, to boot!

Last edited:

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
For me, the most welcome sight: "Air, earth, fire, and water elementals are the purest of their kind. Any spellcaster who wants to dabble in the summoning and binding of elemental entities first starts with these simple elemental creatures." Small, medium, and large, levels 1, 11, and 21 (plus or minus one, depending on the element). And they're pretty interesting mechanically, to boot!

That was a welcome surprise. I thought unflavored elementals were gone the way of the dodo. Woot!

Lots of epic-level stuff in there, too, more than I recall from the other two MMs.

Brad

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases