T1: A Visit to Spelding Square [Completed]

orsal

LEW Judge
[sblock=OOG]On his sheet, it's listed as -3 with the shield (2 ranks +3 Str -8 ACP), but once he lost the shield, it should have been 2+3-4 = +1. For some reason, I misthought 'light shield' and only increased it by 2, instead of 4. Fortunately, as you say, it didn't make a difference to the rolls.

While we're on this sort of subject, it looks like those pesky character judges missed that Quozen gains an additional +4 to his Jump modifier for his 40 ft base speed at 3rd level, for a total of +7.[/sblock]

My mistake. I was looking at the early draft of his character sheet, which had a light shield and 1 fewer Swim rank. Yes, it should be +1. And now I need to update the character sheet for no shield.

Walking Dad

First Post
Midias

"Midias, quick - the guard!"

"Oh, no," Quozen calls out, "What about the guardsmen? Someone! Take my rope!"

Too busy hauling in the half-giant, Quozen indicates the silk rope in his bag.

Too heavy in his armor to swim himself, Midias hopes the one guard outside of the water can hold himself a bit longer as he moves to take Quozen's silk rope. "I will need some help. I'm not strong enough to drag them out of the water by myself!"

[sblock=OOC]

Str check (1d20+2=15)

---

Midias Sunchosen
AC 17 (T11, FF16), HP 16/18, F +5,R+1,W+5
0 Level: Detect Magic, 2x Light
1 Level: Cure Light Wounds (d) - Bless, Command, Shield of Faith

Effects: -

XP:2.550
Gold: 363.5
Got in last adventure: 4 CLW scrolls

[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Oh, no," Quozen calls out, "What about the guardsmen? Someone! Take my rope!"

Too busy hauling in the half-giant, Quozen indicates the silk rope in his bag.

Pendrake is standing firm as the back wash of the ocean surge and sees the remaining guard holding on. At the request of Quozen to use his easily reachaboe rope, Pendrake will take the rope and playourt some and take the end and dive right in! He swims for a few feet under water and tries to see where the two guatrds men wnet and will try to reach the closest one ...

OOC: How far is he away from the quay where the two rescuers are? I am not sure of what I need to have, but I am fairly sure of at least the following:

swim check: 1d20+7=20

Jump: 1d20+9=20

Rope Use: 1d20+2=12
( I would have freaked if this was a total of 20 as well!)

Trouvere

Explorer
It takes a little time for Pendrake and Midias to get organised for their rescue attempt. With rope in hand, they sprint along the quayside. Pendrake's greater speed allows Midias to let some pay out as they run.

The surefooted guardsman has managed to pull the fellow hanging from the ring back safely onto his feet and together the two stare out to sea agitatedly. Like Midias, they doubt their ability to swim, and for now they're at a loss as to what to do. There's still no sign of the men in the sea, and they've likely already been swept out as far as Ngikhnit was.

Pendrake dives from the wharf at a run, splashing headlong into the swirling water twenty feet out, still trailing the rope. With powerful strokes, he heads further out, ducking beneath the surface, but it's impossible to see anything. All he can do is grope blindly around, and hope that his man is nearby and doing the same. But his hands meet nothing but empty water.

He can feel the rip current pulling at him, and must decide what to do next.[sblock=OOG]By good fortune, Pendrake's Jump and Swim checks would put him 25 feet out or so, while the guards have been swept out about 30 feet, so there's a chance that he's adjacent to one, in some orientation or other.
How to do this? Um. Under the invisibility rules, both men can grope blindly into two adjacent squares as a standard action. Neither can see the other, but neither is trying to avoid - quite the opposite - so the miss chance won't apply.
I figure the guard is panicked and unaware of the rescue attempt, so is grabbing randomly into any of 8 adjacent squares, while Pendrake knows what he's doing, so chooses from only 5 squares, ignoring those behind him.
So, the guard has a 1 in 8 chance to encounter Pendrake, then a 1 in 7, while Pendrake has first a 1 in 5, then a 1 in 4. 55% chance of success, I believe.
Unfortunately, luck wasn't with them.
Now that he's out here, Pendrake can keep relative positions with the guard just by letting himself be carried out, so can try again - but in another round, he'll be 45 feet out and right at the effective limit of the rope. If he swims further out, he might swim into the guard's actual square, but he'll have to let go of the rope.
It's also possible that either of the guards will succeed on a Swim check and surface, of course, in which case someone will spot them.
Clear?[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Midias

Midias organizes the guardsmen to secure the rope to save their own.

[sblock=OOC]

Would it be possible to cast light on the rope, so the whole length would glow, aiding Pendrake's attempts?

---

Midias Sunchosen
AC 17 (T11, FF16), HP 16/18, F +5,R+1,W+5
0 Level: Detect Magic, 2x Light
1 Level: Cure Light Wounds (d) - Bless, Command, Shield of Faith

Effects: -

XP:2.550
Gold: 363.5
Got in last adventure: 4 CLW scrolls

[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOG]"This spell causes an object to glow like a torch...from the point you touch", so I don't think so.[/sblock]Midias takes charge of the guardsmen, who for now are grateful to be told what to do. Under his direction, they quickly tie the very end of the rope to the mooring ring, with what looks to be an adequate knot. Now there's no chance that the rope will slip through anyone's fingers, and Pendrake will be able to make use of almost its full length.

People start to spill out of the quayside taverns, some grumbling but more laughing with beer-fueled amusement. Some have brought their drinks with them. Some lean against walls while they tip the seawater out of their boots. They've not yet realised what's going on.

The watching sailors aboard the ships have, though. They ring bells and shout. Most of their crew are likely to be on shore among the drinkers, or below decks asleep, so it will be a dangerously long time before they can be of any help.

Gillin, left alone between the two groups, anxiously checks his bowl. Somehow he's managed to keep the majority of its contents. "What if there's another wave coming?" he quavers.

orsal

LEW Judge
After a moment on dry land, Ngikhnit realizes that there are other people to be rescued, although he sees everyone he came down with on safe ground.

"Who is in the water now?"

He has no equipment of his own to help out with, but he will pull on someone else's rope if a little extra muscle is needed to pull someone in.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Pendrake dives from the wharf at a run, splashing headlong into the swirling water twenty feet out, still trailing the rope. . .
*EDIT*
. . . He can feel the rip current pulling at him, and must decide what to do next.

[sblock=OOG]
Now that he's out here, Pendrake can keep relative positions with the guard just by letting himself be carried out, so can try again - but in another round, he'll be 45 feet out and right at the effective limit of the rope. If he swims further out, he might swim into the guard's actual square, but he'll have to let go of the rope.
It's also possible that either of the guards will succeed on a Swim check and surface, of course, in which case someone will spot them.
Clear?[/sblock]

[Sblock=ooc] clear as riptide stirred seamud! [/sblock]

pendrake will swim no further out, instead swim straight down in the dark water searching about.

OOC: Not sure what else to do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases