What makes a controller a controller?

igniz13

First Post
Well, you didn't really expand on your own concept.

I had that idea for a martial controller, melee as an Iaido master and ranged as just some bow guy / marksman

I focused on the Iaido master build first as that's what I really wanted to play at the time and made a bunch of immediate powers along with powers that had additional effects after the initial attack.

An immediate attack power example would be you shifting and attacking a foe and gaining CA for the attack.

An after effect power might be attacking someone and enemies taking damage if they started their turn adjacent to you. Or such.

Another way I approached the challenge was with a ranged defender who had the elemental power source.

You'd mark an enemy in a similar way to Divine Challenge (but with more range) and the target would be subject to an Elemental Burst if they attacked someone other than you. This elemental burst would do random things to the attacker, but none were good for them.

You then had a bunch of powers that could trigger this Elemental Burst under varying conditions, with your power subjecting others to your mark and thus Elemental Burst.

So you might end up with a few people marked with your "Entropic Challenge" and when one triggered it, something bad might happen to them or someone else who was marked.

Then you'd have powers that further punished an Elemental Burst.

It was a bit crazy.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think having a controller role is a good idea but they should have done it right.
- The role needs something only they can do - again I mention the Wizzard Utility 2 'Mystical Debris' - this should have been a role-featuer like the '... word' is for leader. Each class can have its own variation - unpassable squares, squares which give conditions if you anter them, squares which pull/push enemies in a defined radius,...
- Giving out good classfeatures. Good examples are
** Orb-wizzard: perhaps a bit strong but a good controll-feature - everey class can dish out conditions but the conditions from a controller really heart
** Bloodbond-Seeker: perhaps a bit weak but push + slow is good controll
** Preservation-Invoker: Making sure you can place your area attacks at good places strengthens the controll (ignore the channel divinity for this example as it is not much about controll)
** Malediction-Invoker: forced movement to enemies is straight controll. (ok one square is perhaps a bit weak but therefor the malediction invoker has a controllery channel divinity)

In addition controllers should have very low damage but they should have the really ugly conditions a few levels earlier than other roles (why does a rogue as a striker need area blind at lvl 1?)

You want to make a martial controller? I suppose melee, but not a defender without mark!?
Firts thing is he should be able to react very flexible and act wherever he is needed. So
- take the monk for its movementmodes (or give him one good movementmode as classfeature and others per feat/utility)
- take the centered breath class feature but without the damage part - just the forced movement
- take away the unarmored defense but give him the shadow walk feature from the warlock - so he wants to be mobile and move around
- give him a ability to make an adjacent square damaging/difficult terrain either as minor action or free 1/round
- give him some good opportunity attacks - slow/stop movement/knock prone

combined with some controllery powers he will do his job fine. He is melee but he is neither a defender nor a striker but better in controll than all strikers or defenders.
I am being a thread necromaniac I know

This thread has a lot of cool gems in it related to recent discussions including general descriptions of the controller role ingredients and mention of the monk as potential controller is another.

Remove ads