What makes a controller a controller?

Felon

First Post
Intention is -very- important when intention translates into design, and design translates into execution.

If you can daze in one of 8 squares, or only an enemy adjecent to an ally, then your daze... by sheer necessity, will be best applied fulfilling your role.

Controllers, however, simply daze anyone and anywhere they want to... they don't have any considerations of roll in mind, so they can daze someone adjacent to the defender, or in charge range of the leader, or whatever.
Again, as far I can tell, this argument seems equivocal. It seems to go something like this:

"Because non-controllers are good at some function, they'll be more likely to use a daze to compliment that function than someone who isn't good at it. A controller won't concentrate on a particular function since he's not particularly good at one. He'll just be a floater with his daze power, doing whatever seems useful at the time."

In other words, the presented argument is that a lack of advantages is advantageous. In truth, a bard can use his arrow of cacophony to daze with the same freedom that the wizard uses his chill strike, and will be guided by the same imperative: to do whatever is most effective at winning the fight.

Last edited:

Fluxx

First Post
I think one problem in th whole discussion is that the existing classes aren't really 'pure' Each class has some powers which should belong to other roles. And there are many subbuilds of classes which seem to be more of another role.
I don't know if it is intentional from the designers because they want the classes to have aspects of other roles or if it is some difficult with the design. I think a bit of both. I suppose in the first days the designers didn't know what tehy wanted the roles to do or not to do exactly so they played around a bit and watched what happened. Now it is to late to pull back - there are to many powers which don't fulfill the role of the class exactly.
So when you say s.th. is not a controller-specialty because other classes do the same is the same argument as when I say high damage is not a striker thing because I can build a Fighter who as a defender has the same damage per round as most strikers.
If you want to discuss what is the stick of a controller with the idea to make one yourself you should ask what should a controller do - not what do actual controllers. Look at the parts of existing classes which do their job fine and ignore the parts which play with sticks of other roles...

DracoSuave

First Post
Again, as far I can tell, this argument seems equivocal. It seems to go something like this:

"Because non-controllers are good at some function, they'll be more likely to use a daze to compliment that function than someone who isn't good at it. A controller won't concentrate on a particular function since he's not particularly good at one. He'll just be a floater with his daze power, doing whatever seems useful at the time."

That isn't at all what I said.

Alright, I'll use small words this time, for those who didn't actually -read- what I said.

This is an excellent example of our "don't be a dick" rule. If you write something and someone reading it is likely to think, "Hey, he's being a dick!", don't hit submit. It's mostly that simple.

Dracosuave, scale back the condescending sarcasm next time. Everyone else, please avoid writing this sort of a post yourself. PM me if this is at all unclear. ~ PCat

Bob fighter knock things prone.
Bob fighter only do it close to him,
Prone for Bob fighter only good to help keep enemy close to Bob.

Fish warlock knock things prone.
Fish warlock only does it after he one guy for lots of damage.
Prone for Fish is only good to keep a target he's concentrating his fire on from getting up and killing him.

Ellen bard knock things prone.
Ellen bard only knock things prone next to other person.
Prone for Ellen bard only good to help keep enemy close to Bob.

Smart Wizard knock things prone.
Smart Wizard can knock anyone prone he wants, and can knock people prone who enter certain squares, and adds dififcult terrain onto all that, and does so to multiple enemies at once.
Prone for the smart Wizard means he can do whatever he wants with it, keeping an enemy close to Bob, keeping an enemy -away- from Fish, delaying an enemy's approach so that the party can dispatch the guy Bob knocked down, taking less damage making the healing easier for Ellen...

THAT is what control means. It is taking the -restrictions- other roles have on the control they need to do, removing them, so that the wizard can cover any aspect of control needed by a party.

What you are saying is something like:

"Many characters have lay on hands and many buffs, so they are specialized in that, a Leader is just a floater in such party with such abilities, and does whatever seems useful at the time, because they have no perceived advantages."

Seems rediculous when you look at it that way. Controllers are not 'floaters.' Your interpretation makes no sense/

In other words, the presented argument is that a lack of advantages is advantageous.

Um... no.

All classes have some form of control, but they are far more limited in that regard in comparison to a controller.

So say this with me:

An argument presenting the idea of a lack of limitation is not the same thing as an argument presenting the idea of a lack of advantage.

One might even say those are polar opposite arguments.

In truth, a bard can use his arrow of cacophony to daze with the same freedom that the wizard uses his chill strike, and will be guided by the same imperative: to do whatever is most effective at winning the fight.

But can a bard set down a square that burns adjacent enemies, and gives a specific attack against one, doing both automatic damage and attack damage, thusly making enemies spread out to minimize the pain from said object?

Can a bard, who has movement AND thunder as one of their prime shticks, move everyone in a 3X3 square that he hits with a thunder attack? At-will?

Can a bard block squares of movement just because he -wants- to?

Bard control exists... but bard control is -nothing- compared to wizard control. Only a -fool- would claim otherwise.

Bard control is focused on one aspect of the game, and wizard control is not focused on any aspect of the game, but can be used for all aspects. The key here, is that the wizard's very GOOD at using it for anything he wants. The bard doing control to lead? Yeah, he's got a niche there. The wizard tries that? The bard's control is left in the dust.

Last edited by a moderator:

igniz13

First Post
This entire series of statements is curious to me. Setting up a zone of auto-damage that encourages enemies to move out of an area is a form of control. Minion wiping is a form of control. Dropping some direct damage is a form of control.

How could anyone assert otherwise? This sentiment is perfectly evident in controller class design. Plenty of controller powers do nothing more than direct damage. Fireball, for instance.

Cleric uses Fire Storm, enemy moves out of it. End of Control, Cleric has no further control.

Cleric doesn't have Fire Storm because he wanted a Leader power, Cleric doesn't control, cleric has no further control.

Cleric uses Fire Storm, Wizard uses Web and/or Thunderwaves and/or Ray of Frost or any number of control powers it may have to control the enemy, keeping them in the zone and capitalising on the Clerics Daily power.

Cleric uses Fire Storm, Wizard uses Fireball, things get nuked. Cleric used a level 19 daily and has to sustain the power, Wizard used a level 5 power and doesn't.

Wizard uses Evard's Black Tentacles and uses his powers to control the enemy. Cleric throws Fire Storm on top of EBT and party is happy.

Wizard uses Stinking Cloud or Cloud Kill. Wizard can move the zone and use his powers to keep people inside it, Cleric can't.

Etc.

Controllers persist in control and their powers revolve around it.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
For me, the essence of the Controller role is to deny options to enemy or, at least, to make certain options more costly than others. Some examples include:

-Doing AoE damage to punish enemies for grouping up.
-Dealing damage if an enemy tries to make an attack.
-Moving enemies (push/pull/slide) into or out of position.
-Delaying/hampering enemy movement with speed-reducing effects or actual barriers.

IMO, a Controller should be best at manipulating the field of battle and allow the fight to happen on the party's terms. Good Controller play might be shuttling enemies into the range of the Defender, creating damaging zones or squares that punish enemies for attacking a Leader or Striker, or preventing/delaying an enemy's advance so that the party focus fire on it later.

I think a well-designed Controller would be most appealing to the type of player that likes to think about contingencies, orchestrate the flow of battle, and who enjoys the tactical aspect of D&D.

As far as a Martial Controller goes, someone on these boards once said that a melee-oriented version might be an inverted Defender. While a Defender focuses on keeping enemies close, a Martial Controller might focus on punishes enemies for staying close to it. I see things like auto damage close burst powers as an example of this. Ranged Martial Controllers might use their ranged weapons to create cover fire, pin enemies in place, and so on.

IMO, there's one existing class with a strong archetype that can be used as inspiration for Martial Controller powers - the ranger. But given that the chances for rangers changing roles is virtually nonexistent, another good archetype IMO is a savant or mastermind like Sherlock Holmes. That is, someone who's so brilliant they can create plans of action in an instant.

In many ways a Defender's basic function is to control enemy actions. But the Defender focuses - obviously - on defense and "hit me" type of control while Controllers should focus more on offense and overall control. IMO, the Defender's essential goal of protecting allies helps differentiate it from the Controller's goal (at least as I see it).

knightofround

First Post
That isn't at all what I said.

Alright, I'll use small words this time, for those who didn't actually -read- what I said.

Bob fighter knock things prone.
Bob fighter only do it close to him,
Prone for Bob fighter only good to help keep enemy close to Bob.

Fish warlock knock things prone.
Fish warlock only does it after he one guy for lots of damage.
Prone for Fish is only good to keep a target he's concentrating his fire on from getting up and killing him.

Ellen bard knock things prone.
Ellen bard only knock things prone next to other person.
Prone for Ellen bard only good to help keep enemy close to Bob.

Smart Wizard knock things prone.
Smart Wizard can knock anyone prone he wants, and can knock people prone who enter certain squares, and adds dififcult terrain onto all that, and does so to multiple enemies at once.
Prone for the smart Wizard means he can do whatever he wants with it, keeping an enemy close to Bob, keeping an enemy -away- from Fish, delaying an enemy's approach so that the party can dispatch the guy Bob knocked down, taking less damage making the healing easier for Ellen...

THAT is what control means. It is taking the -restrictions- other roles have on the control they need to do, removing them, so that the wizard can cover any aspect of control needed by a party.

This doesn't make sense to me. They all inflict the prone condition. If Bob the Fighter knocks Monster prone, sure, the only benefit that Bob the Fighter gets from it is keeping the enemy close to them. But it also provides all the listed benefits to everyone else in the party; because Bob the Fighter knocked the Monster prone, Fish the Warlock doesn't have to worry about the enemy getting up and killing him. Ellen the Bard doesn't need to heal as much since the Monster has to waste actions to get back up. And Smart the Wizard...well he don't need to waste their actions knocking the enemy prone because they're already prone next to Bob. Smart the Wizard twiddles his thumbs and blows up some minions instead.

You can easily cycle around the other way too. It doesn't matter if a striker, defender, or leader dazed the enemy; each member of the team benefits from the daze in their own way.

So are controllers just fragile defenders that inflicts control at long range? And defenders are beefy controllers that inflict control at short range?

LuckyAdrastus

First Post
I think "intentions" wasn't quite the right word to use, but what DracoSuave is describing shouldn't be that complicated or controversial. What he is saying is that a proper "controller" spells provides a lot of freedom in how you can apply a condition, whereas proper defender, striker, and leader powers may apply the same conditions, but do so under a more restricted set of triggers or options.

Ex. a proper defender power may daze or prone, but usually only to monsters next to the defender, to maximize the defense.

A proper striker power may apply a condition, but usually to only one target, and usually a condition that makes the strikers job attacking that guy again next turn easier (i.e. conditions that grant CA to the rogue, or let the warlock get prime shot bonus from a distance).

A proper leader power applies the condition, but in a way that heps other players. I.e. powers that knock enemies prone next to the defender, or makes them grant CA to the striker.

Now, there is a lot of potential overlap, especially between leader and controller. You can find a lot of non-controller class powers which do controller level effects. Part of this is poor role definition. Especially in PHB1, there are lots of powers that don't match their classes' role (example brute strike, a fighter attack that just does lots of damage).

I think that the controller role is the least well defined, and instead of looking at "what do current controllers do?" the question should best be put as "what should controller do?" I think the two simplest answers are:

1) Apply damage to multiple targets
2) Apply a variety of harmful conditions to enemies

You might add:

3) Modify the terrain, and/or the placement of enemies and allies

Felon

First Post
Well, this is getting contentious. :confused:

Cleric uses Fire Storm, enemy moves out of it. End of Control, Cleric has no further control.
If the monster actually wants to be in that 11x11 square area, and he instead moves out of it, then it has been effectively controlled.

Cleric doesn't have Fire Storm because he wanted a Leader power, Cleric doesn't control, cleric has no further control.
If the cleric wants to lead through control effects (as many leaders do), the cleric continues to pick control-oriented powers. His option to do or not to do.

Cleric uses Fire Storm, Wizard uses Fireball, things get nuked. Cleric used a level 19 daily and has to sustain the power, Wizard used a level 5 power and doesn't.
Not sure what the argument was supposed to be here. The cleric has the option of sustaining for additional damage. The wizard doesn't have that option. And his fireball is smaller and much weaker. Whatever control it's supposed to grant, fire storm has co-opted, just as leaders co-opt so many control effects. Might as well compare fire storm to a level 19 wizard AoE...if one existed that was even close to being as good.

Controllers persist in control and their powers revolve around it.
I don't see how controller powers as a whole--sampled from all controller builds--can't be said to anything consistently. They are too varied in quality and effect.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
This doesn't make sense to me. They all inflict the prone condition. If Bob the Fighter knocks Monster prone, sure, the only benefit that Bob the Fighter gets from it is keeping the enemy close to them. But it also provides all the listed benefits to everyone else in the party; because Bob the Fighter knocked the Monster prone, Fish the Warlock doesn't have to worry about the enemy getting up and killing him. Ellen the Bard doesn't need to heal as much since the Monster has to waste actions to get back up. And Smart the Wizard...well he don't need to waste their actions knocking the enemy prone because they're already prone next to Bob. Smart the Wizard twiddles his thumbs and blows up some minions instead.

You can easily cycle around the other way too. It doesn't matter if a striker, defender, or leader dazed the enemy; each member of the team benefits from the daze in their own way.
Perfectly correct. You have incisively cut straight to the heart of the matter. The benefits of having a prone target aren't made better by virtue of a controller inflicting the condition instead of a leader.

Remove ads