• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

males playing females and the other way around, opinions?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've got no problem with it.

I note that often enough it doesn't seem to add much to the character, and it isn't often done very convincingly. But if you want to stretch your skills, it's one obvious way to do so.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Old school!

Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity: This broad leather band appears to be a normal belt used commonly by all sorts of adventurers, but of course it is magical. If buckled on, it will immediately change the sex of its wearer to the opposite gender. Its magical curse fulfilled, the belt then loses all power. The original sex of the character cannot be restored by any normal means, although a wish might do so (50% chance), and a powerful being can alter the situation, i.e., it takes a god-like creature to set matters aright with certainty. 10% of these girdles actually remove all sex from the wearer.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't want to hear about some dude's lesbian sex fantasies at the gaming table. Other than that, it's all good. I play about a fifty-fifty mix of male and female characters, myself.

Boregar

First Post
It makes no difference to me at all. I mean, if you are happy enough to take on the role of a halfling, a dragonborn or a thri-kreen, why should you have to stick to your own gender?

Jhaelen

First Post
It bugs me a little. It doesn't ruin the game or anything. I'd just prefer that players wouldn't do it.
Yeah, this. I mean, as long as you're playing in a setting where the genders are treated equally, which covers the majority of fantasy settings, there's little point, since no character concept requires a particular sex.

I can see why a female might want to play a male in, say, Pendragon, or how a male might find it interesting to play a female in Ars Magica.

But, e.g. in D&D? Better to stick with what you know how to roleplay best.

Remove ads