What was your first ever D&D product?

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
My First...D&D Product!

The red boxed set; the non-Elmore cover (circa 1981). Ah, I remember it well! I was in 7th grade and we lived in the boonies of Maine. I remember spending an entire summer reading the Keep on the Borderlands over and over. Life was really much simpler then...

1981, the Red Moldvay (Erol Otus-cover) Basic boxed set (followed soon after by the original Expert set, then the AD&D PHB ...). I'm still getting good use out of B2.:)

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
My brother played...he had the brown books and greyhawk...

He quit playing all the time about the time the first MM was released, and I "borrowed" his stuff...I was 7

but the first product I bought (or more precisely was bought for ME) was the original basic set ..(blue box, sutherland art)..and I actually started to understand the game....I also bought at the same time Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, IIRC...

Samothdm

First Post
My first product was a gift from my mom - the magenta D&D Basic Set w/ the Erol Otus cover (not sure which printing - 8tb-11th).

Almost immediately thereafter I borrowed/bought a bunch of games from my friends, including 1st Ed. Gamma World and Boot Hill, Greyhawk Boxed Set, and bought Top Secret, 1st Ed. PH, DMG, MMII, D&DG. Kept buying through OA, UA, and all the way through 2nd Ed., including all the class books, most of the historical books, etc. Still have 'em all.

My wife is super happy about all of the space that they take up, especially given that my 3E/D20 collection has grown by leaps and bounds over the past six months.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Red boxed set, Elmore cover, and the expert set at the same time.

This was after three or four years of playing Dragon Warrior's though.

Sejs

First Post
Red Box, elmore cover. I remember just how in awe I was looking thru those books for the first time.

Ah back in the day when Elf was a class, and if you were a fighter long enough, you'd eventually turn into a Superhero.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
The Blue Boxed Set.
I still have the green 8 sided dice from that set, although it's so worn it might be mistaken for a green marble.
A simple regime, that one. Dwarves were fighters, elves were all fighter/mages, hobbits were thieves, and humans could be anything.
Unfortunately, 1st level clerics received NO spells. The poor cleric would remain shortchanged all the way through the rest of D&D and 1st edition AD&D, in my opinion.

By the way, I still argue the fighter and mage shown on that set are soon to be dead characters.
That red dragon is about to breathe, and I don't see a bowshot stopping that from happening.

Remove ads