Thinking of returning to AD&D 2nd ed... Advice needed.

Imperialus

Explorer
Ok, so about a year ago or so I came to the realization that I simply didn't care for 4th ed, or 3rd, for that matter. No biggie I figured, I'll just play Shadowrun, I like that. Now however I'm starting to feel the urge to scratch that Fantasy itch, and I've come to the realization that of all the time I've spent playing D&D, 2nd edition was my favorite, which was closely followed by the realization of: "OH CRAP, I'm going to turn into Diaglo, only for the most reviled edition ever to hit print! I'm not even a cool gognard!"

At any rate, there are a whole bunch of reasons I guess, that I'm not going to waste everyone's time writing a wall of text about, but I've hit a bit of a roadblock. I no longer have the core books. When I was first playing 2nd it was in Jr. High and High School and we (as a group) had 1 copy of each of the books, and naturally, with people moving and stuff they have since scattered around the country.

So, as I try to re-buy them without spending a fortune I have a quick question. There are plenty of well publicized retro-clones for 1st ed, Basic and whitebox, but how about for 2nd ed? I know there's a lot of cross compatibility between 1st and 2nd, heck, I fully intend to use my 1st ed Monstrous Manual and Fiend Folio for the time being but there are some differences that OSIRIC just doesn't have.

Henry

Autoexreginated
So far three incomplete ones: For Gold and Glory, SERPENT, and SIEGE(?) from a Google search I did. So far, your best choices are all clones of OD&D, BECMI D&D, or 1E.

athos

First Post
Sorry to hear you don't like 3.5, I actually like it a little better than 2nd ed., although they are both very close in what I like. Since neither is supported, might as well play the one you like, personally I still play both.

I wouldn't worry about clones, or other games that are trying to "feel" like 2nd edition, just go with 2nd ed. It beats the clones.

You should be able to pick up the second edition books uber cheap these days. I don't think they are collectibles or anything, especially with most people playing 4.0.

Go with 2nd edition, don't waste your time on wannabe's, and if you go with Dark Sun, run your campaign online so I can play in it :)

Have fun,

IronWolf

blank
If I were to go back to playing 2nd edition I would likely go for the real thing and not seek out a clone. I just did a quick check on Amazon Marketplace and there are very large number of 2nd edition sourcebooks available for a good price. It should be no problem to swoop up the basics of what you need for minimal investment.

Nadaka

First Post
If you lived in the Florida Panhandle, I could help you out. I have a shelf full of 2e stuff I will never use again. I've been thinking about selling them on craigslist, but the only books typically sold there are textbooks.

Imperialus

Explorer
Oh, I fully intend to pick up the real thing, and the ebay prices are pretty reasonable, its the shipping that kills me. I was just hoping to find a retro-clone to tide me over until I can get my hands on them.

Aegir

First Post
One option is Castles & Crusades, which is for the most part a melding of 2e and 3e, but it might have a bit too much of the latter if you're not into 3e.

Another option is, I know there have been a few people working on 2e-specific retro-clones, but I was never into that scene enough to know if any were finished. But, I'm sure the folks over at Dragonsfoot would know, and they have a forum devoted to 2e as well.

Imperialus

Explorer
One option is Castles & Crusades, which is for the most part a melding of 2e and 3e, but it might have a bit too much of the latter if you're not into 3e.

Another option is, I know there have been a few people working on 2e-specific retro-clones, but I was never into that scene enough to know if any were finished. But, I'm sure the folks over at Dragonsfoot would know, and they have a forum devoted to 2e as well.

I have C&C actually but you're right it's a bit too close to 3E. I do have every intention of using Yiggsburg though. :D

Remove ads