Thinking of returning to AD&D 2nd ed... Advice needed.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I agree with the C&C suggestion (as I was about to make it myself). The monetary investment is low (you only need 2 books), it strips out a lot of the 3rd edition stuff I found to be annoying and you can easily convert 2nd edition material to the game.

That said you could easily run 2nd edition with the core books only ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Advanced-Dungeons-Roleplaying/dp/0786903295/ref=sr_ob_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283530804&sr=1-1"]PHB[/ame], [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Rulebook/dp/0786903287/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283530865&sr=1-3"]DMG[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Monstrous-Manual-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Accessory/dp/1560766190/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283530760&sr=8-7"]Monstrous Compendium[/ame]).

PS: I just saw your last post (you must have typed it while I typed this). Look at my sig for a more AD&D-inspired version of C&C (uninspiringly called AD&D 3rd edition). You may find it useful. ;)

My DM recently started up a 2e campaign for us. We are using 2e as a base, and beginning last session (two weeks ago) added Myth & Magic to incorporate some new school changes. We didn't have that much time to play with it, as we had a truncated session due to illness, but I did like some of the changes to the Fighter and to ability scores.

Others have already mentioned the 2e clones that I've heard of (and I think all of them are "in progress" at the moment, rather than complete).

However, I recommend just playing what you want to play. That is, if you want to play 2e AD&D, there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't go straight to the real deal. The 2e books are cheap and plentiful on the used market -- it's not like trying to track down a reasonably priced set of original D&D booklets in decent shape. If you want AD&D, don't bother with a clone or a pseudo-clone, just run AD&D, and use the clones as a source of support material.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I agree... but the OP stated he wanted a "cheap fix" to tide him over until he can get his hands on actual 2nd Edition materials again (which, with shipping, would get a bit pricey).

Then again, the links I posted to Amazon have pretty reasonable prices (I'm sure he could find similar prices on Amazon.ca).

Inferno!

Explorer
So, as I try to re-buy them without spending a fortune ...

You could buy a copy of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Core-Rules-Pc/dp/B00002SX0K/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t]Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Core Rules 2.0[/ame] for as little as $20. Ignore the programs on the disk, but also included are rtf copies of the following 2e books:

Players Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide
Monstrous Manual
Tome of Magic
Arms & Equipment Guide
DM Option High-Level Campaigns
Players Option Spells & Magic
Players Option Combat & Tactics
Players Option Skills & Powers​

JeffB

Legend
I've been getting the 2E bug again lately as well- frankly, considering only "core" books (i.e. PHB, DMG, MM) I actually prefer it as a rule system over AD&D- it's certainly more n tune with how we actually played AD&D back in the late 70s/early 80s- it doesn;t have the Gygax charm, but it's easier to find things/reference rules, and much of the wonkier AD&D subsystems were cleaned up.

Its all the extra splat books ad nauseum that ruins 2E, IMO.

That said- you can find copies for cheap on Amazon used booksellers. I was looking last night as a matter of fact for a original cover 2E PHB- you can pick up a decent one for 8-10 bucks shipped.

Orius

Legend
I'd be fine with 2nd edition if it weren't for those damn non-weapon proficiencies, which drive me nuts.

I'd suggest one use or tweak the Skills & Powers NWP rules if they didn't want to go with the PHB rules. I'd probably take some inspiration from 3e's skills and lump the similar proficiencies (stuff that 3e lumps together as Profession, Craft, etc.) together, and use some synergy as well (Skills and Powers does take some NWP synergy into account IIRC).

Imperialus

Explorer
Thanks for the advice all, but I do have one other question, I posted it on DF but I figure ENworld sees higher traffic. Does anyone know what the differences are between the printings? Is there any particular reason I should search out the version with the Knight and the Wizard on the covers rather than the black covers?

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the black covers, because for one, they were the version that we had as kids, and two, I love the artwork in them. That picture of the adventuring party posing with the dead baby dragon is probably one of my favorite pieces of D&D art ever, they just looked so damn proud of themselves. But what really matters is are there any mechanical differences between them that might push me towards one or the other?

Remove ads