Advanced Options: Witches Hexes

Dark Mistress

First Post
Advanced Options: Witches' Hexes by Super Genius Games

This product is 7 pages long. It starts with a cover and intro. (1 pages)

Next it jumps right into the new hexes. (2 ½ pages)
Asylum – Similar to Sanctuary spell
Balm – Target gains fast healing for x number of rounds.
Beatific Smile – Gain boost a single ability, attack, damage, save, or skill of a ally by 1, goes up at 8th and 16th.
Blood Boil – Causes a rage effect in target.
Bungle – Makes a CMB to disarm at a range.
Catseye – Gives target lowlight vision.
Entropy – Makes a CMB to make a ranged sunder attack against a object.
Familiar Growth – Makes her familiar grow in size, familiar uses druid animal companion stats while in this state.
Gremlin – Makes a CMB to make a ranged grapple attempt.
Hobble – Makes a CMB to trip the target at a range.
Medusa Locks – Hair becomes a natural melee attack that can stab or grapple foes. Love the idea of this hex but since hair is not that long and it makes no mention of it growing makes it limited. I would have liked this to allow the hair to stretch and function like a whip accept doing this hex's dmg. Like the white haired witch in Forbidden Kingdom. Great idea but I don't think it went far enough.
Scuttle – Bonus to climb skill, becomes class skill and can climb faster.
Shadows – Functions like darkness or deeper darkness at higher level. Except can not grow dimmer than dim light and magic light has no effect on it.
Wail – Makes CMB to use force to bullrush a target at a range.
Whispers – Grants ally a varied bonus to skill check, time it lasts depends on which skill it is.
Will-O-Wisp – Acts like the Will-O-Wisp of the dancing light spell but with different duration and bonus to perception, to the witch and her allies.

Major Hexes (1 page)
Ally – Functions similar to lesser planer ally spell. Higher level like planer ally.
Cornucopia – Functions similar to good berry spell, at higher level like hero's feast.
Doom Gaze – More or less a stronger version of Evil Eye.
Infestation – Works like summon swarm but lasts as long as the witch concentrates one it. Gains bonuses at higher levels.
Kiss of Oblivion – Functions like Modify Memory spell. Target must be helpless or willing. I do wish that if target was grappled they would have allowed a touch attack to us. Or at least added in pinned condition.
Mock – Causes target to become staggered on failed save.
Restoration – can function like lesser restoration, neutralize poison, or remove disease. At higher level can also function like heal.
Rune Hex – Functions like explosive runes except with one of the witches hexes.

Grand Hexes (1 page)
Allure – Functions like sympathy spell, with the witch as the desired target.
Kiss of Death – Functions like finger of death spell. I feel the same about this one as I did Kiss of Oblivion.
Retainers – Functions similar to Leadership feat, but no cohort but gets special retainers in it's place.
Shapeshift – Functions like shapechange spell, with different duration.
Wish Giver – Works similar to limited wish, can only be granted to others.

Witch Feats (½ page)
Enlarge Hex – Can double the range of X number of hexes a day.
Hex Expertise – Choose one hex, that hex can effect targets more than once a day.
Hex Focus – Choose one hex, increases save DC.
Quicken Hex – Once per day can use a hex as a swift action.

It closes with a OGL. (1 page)

Closing Thoughts. The artwork other than the cover I have all seen before and it ranges from meh to good. I did notice one error with Doom Gaze and was told it would be fixed asap. The feats are pretty good and well written. The Hexes I felt where a bit below what I have come to expect from SGG. Some where good but I felt needed a bit more, both kiss hexes and Medusa Locks. A few I was meh about pretty much all the ones that use a CMB, the reason is that even though the witch uses int instead of str, with their low BaB I don't seem them being very effective more often than not. I think they should have used witch levels instead of BaB as well as switching Int for str. Or better make them curses where each round they suffer from the effect with out the witch focuses on them for x number of rounds.

The rest of the hexes I liked, though a couple of the major and grand I am not sure couldn't have been lower hex types. So whats my rating? Well this one is tough, maybe cause I am a big fan of the new witch class is coloring my view. But what I like in this book I really like, which makes the bad really stand out. With a little work I think it would have been a great book. In the end I settled on a 4 star. Mostly cause what is good is very good.

Remove ads