[Star Wars] Somebody bought the license

Jools

First Post
Except it isn't a 'semi-boardgame' and definitely not 'Descent-like'.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

My greatest apologies for fueling this off topic debate, but I couldn't agree more. Especially the Descent-like bit, its one of those "DnD is like WOW" type statements. I'm not even a fan of WFRP 3rd Ed, but I certainly know that isnt true. Let the regular topic recommence. Sorry.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I keep hearing this. You really think an RPG/board game sells better than RPG books?

It is really difficult to say, really. The sales of RPG books are tiny compared to board games, but how an RPG packaged as WFRPv3 fares is anyone's guess. According to ICv2 it sold well enough to chart as a top five seller consistently during 2010.

But as FFG now released the rules in hardback versions, I'm torn between thinking that it is to add to the options available, or if it is because the boxed set approach wasn't as successful as they hoped.

Still, I think WFRPv3 is a solid RPG, and it has tried to break away from the "books as games"-mentality that has had the industry in its grip. It is my firm belief that games that look like games are better to bring in new gamers than games that look like books.

Cheers!

/M

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Except it isn't a 'semi-boardgame' and definitely not 'Descent-like'.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

It certainly isn't Descent like, Descent like I could have semi lived with. But the thing has counters, custom dice (think Heroquest dice), nine types of cards, stand ups, and some counters that work like a puzzle. When I open the (very expensive box, which I own by the way), I get more a feeling of a boardgame then a pnp RPG (heck even D&D 4E doesn't require cards). It certainly isn't the box or the stand ups, both I have seen in/with pnp RPGs.

I think you and someone else got confused by the two sentences, they were two very separate statements.

But as FFG now released the rules in hardback versions, I'm torn between thinking that it is to add to the options available, or if it is because the boxed set approach wasn't as successful as they hoped.
This I didn't know, I think they left a lot of WFRP players behind with the 'unique' box design, they were unconvinced by the new concepts that were not 'classic' pnp (like they were used to). I might have a look and see how they integrated all the 'stuff' into the book format.

Aaziroth

First Post
Well, whoever picks it up there's something that's always been left out concerning Han that's always bugged me... He's a former Imperial spec opaque, and that was never covered in any game system to my knowledge...

Remove ads