Fortune Cards Threads [Merged]

blalien

First Post
I know the stock response is supposed to be, "What is this, Dungeons and Dragons TCG? I have kids to feed!" But I am actually tempted. Since the DM owns and controls the cards, it wouldn't be an arms race like Magic. And when I ran Gamma World, the Alpha Mutations were definitely the player favorite. I think introducing the fortune cards would actually spice up the game.

The problem is the price. Eight cards for four dollars is unacceptable. You'd need to buy around five packs to have enough variety for six players. And Wizards obviously intends to capitalize on micropayment addiction a la Farmville. If the price is going to fall into book territory, I'd rather just get a book.

I think I'm just going to wait a few weeks until Wizards discontinues the cards and my FLGS is desperate to get rid of them.

Fortune Cards ?!?

Fortune Cards

Some notes and questions about them

Fortune Cards are available in 8-card booster packs with differing levels of rarity (common, uncommon, and rare), and serve as another avenue for excitement at the game table.

Where are the mythic rares? Are we looking for them in the first expansion pack?

Can the game handle more excitement?

With each booster, a player’s tactical options for their character during the game alter and expand in interesting new ways.

This is good, especially if you are in the camp that PCs don't have enough actions to pick from each combat turn. It seems to be a common complaint that the combat grind isn't long enough in the current edition. This should increase that by giving every player additional options during combat.

It's important to point out that Fortune Cards are not a requirement for D&D play; they are an enhancement that simulates blind luck, the winds of fate, or divine influence.

Don't panic. Your DM doesn't have to kick you out of the game if you forget to bring your fortune cards.

I'm glad we have another mechanic to simulate luck/divine fate. That d20 sometimes rolled low and that player didn't have any fun for a whole turn. If you bring your own fortune deck, you can make sure the only luck you have is good luck.

They have a thematic place in your D&D games.

They do!

For some Wizards Play Network programs aimed at experienced players, Fortune Card purchase will be a requirement to participate

This is the rare case where the DM will have to kick you out of the game session if you don't have your fortune cards. But don't worry, you can always buy some and continue with your DnD experience.

Zaran

Adventurer
Collectible cards have no place in a rpg. I believe WotC has forgotten that an rpg is about being a character in a story and not about pushing miniatures around a game board and flipping the next card in a deck to see what happens.

Riastlin

First Post
Well, WotC or Hasbro.

All in all I'm not particularly bothered by them. I don't plan to use them. I don't think they're necessary, etc., so I just won't buy them. In the end sales will determine whether or not it was a good idea. If they sell well, we'll see more of them. If they sell poorly, we won't. My guess is that they'll sell poorly and will die a fairly quick death.

Scribble

First Post
They sound cool to me.

From what we know, they seem kind of like the Twitter buffs.

I kind of wish/hope they would also include some negative effects as well though.

Zaran said:
Collectible cards have no place in a rpg. I believe WotC has forgotten that an rpg is about being a character in a story and not about pushing miniatures around a game board and flipping the next card in a deck to see what happens.

Meh- as long as they add something fun to the game, I don't care what form it takes.

renau1g

First Post
I kind of wish/hope they would also include some negative effects as well though.

They might, but then if a player is bringing his own deck to LFR games I need to then inspect each deck to make sure there actually are bad ones, and I also need to ask each player to properly shuffle their decks, or do it myself as some people can pull out card tricks to stack the decks.

Scribble

First Post
They might, but then if a player is bringing his own deck to LFR games I need to then inspect each deck to make sure there actually are bad ones, and I also need to ask each player to properly shuffle their decks, or do it myself as some people can pull out card tricks to stack the decks.

True...

Thinking about it, I think a better idea is limiting when they can be used... which is probably how they work.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
As an optional add-on, I'll likely never use FCs. I think the game has enough options.

But if 5e were to use randomized cards in conjunction with the core powers...well, that just might be the bee's knees!

Remove ads