Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Can we leave off the "Goat Magic" descriptor? I just don't like introducing a new one when there seems no need. I'm fine either adding it to the cleric spell list or not. I guess I lean toward not also.

So just make it Abjuration? I can live with that.

I'm leaning towards cutting the Cleric out, too.

Rereading the original description of veil/occultation actually doesn't convince me that a single goatling's empowerment can increase the area of effect.

The second paragraph of the original descriptions of veil says "within a radius 3' per experience level of the caster", while the "Spell Magnitude" application of empowerment "increases the relative level at which spells are cast".

Seems pretty clear to me that allows a single goatling to empower a veil and increase its area.

How about we put that into summon coven and let normal empowerment work normally on Occultation? Then I think we can move on.

Wouldn't that mean the goatlings can use summon coven to apply country-spanning areas of effect to a whole bunch of spells? If so, I'm not sure I like the idea.

How about we draft up a summon coven
spell too, so we can cross-reference it with occultation?

It might be easier if we modified the "Spell Magnitude" empowerment so it increase areas of effect too.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
See, "veil" talks about increasing area of effect as part of the normal Spell Magnitude Empowerment. We specifically cut out the area of effect from level-dependent variables, so I therefore wouldn't add it back --- "veil" only gets acted on by Empowerment in the normal way originally. There is, however, some special interaction with Summon Coven.

I have no problem with allowing Spell Magnitude Empowerment to improve area of effect. But I also believe that summon coven should specifically say how it affects occultation, though I don't think we need to worry about drafting summon coven just yet.

Cleon

Legend
See, "veil" talks about increasing area of effect as part of the normal Spell Magnitude Empowerment. We specifically cut out the area of effect from level-dependent variables, so I therefore wouldn't add it back --- "veil" only gets acted on by Empowerment in the normal way originally. There is, however, some special interaction with Summon Coven.

I have no problem with allowing Spell Magnitude Empowerment to improve area of effect. But I also believe that summon coven should specifically say how it affects occultation, though I don't think we need to worry about drafting summon coven just yet.

Well I'm still insistent we should have occultation description include any special rules about how empowerment affects it.

How about we duplicate the "empowerment bit" in both spells, so occultation has an "empowerment from summon coven" note and summon coven has a "coven empowered occultation" entry?

Would that be enough to make us both happy?

freyar

Sure. I would really prefer to follow the permanency precedent, where the spells that can be made permanent don't say anything. However, putting it in both places will allow us to move on...

Are we agree to leave Spell Magnitude empowerment the way it is and just have the increase of area be a Summon Coven effect?

Cleon

Legend
Sure. I would really prefer to follow the permanency precedent, where the spells that can be made permanent don't say anything.

A quick check of the SRD shows there's a whole bunch of spells with "[spell] can be made permanent with a permanency spell." in their description, and at least one (greater arcane sight) whose description specifies it can't be made permanent.

However, putting it in both places will allow us to move on...

Are we agree to leave Spell Magnitude empowerment the way it is and just have the increase of area be a Summon Coven effect?

That suits me, so let's proceed with the "Two Places" solution and leave Spell Magnitude unchanged.

We can always limit/adjust the effects of empowerment in the summon coven write up to our tastes.

Incidentally, I'm wondering whether Summon Coven should be a (Sp) instead of an actual spell, since it's so tied to the Goatlings' empowerment ability.

freyar

Something like this?

Occultation
Abjuration
Level: Bard 4, Goat 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Area: A circle with a radius up to 5 ft. per two levels
Duration: 13 hours plus 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The warded area becomes difficult to perceive by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, scry, locate object or detect spells. It also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against a creature or item within the area warded by this spell, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast occultation or the divination fails.

The spellcaster who cast occultation does not need to make caster level checks to use divination in the spell's area of effect.

Summon Coven
If a goatling uses Spell Magnitude empowerment and Summon Coven with an occultation spell, the empowerment's enhancement bonus to caster level applies to the spell's duration and area of effect. Any goatling who participates in a summon coven spell to enhance an occultation is considered a "caster", and the resulting spell will not ward against that goatling's divinations.

Cleon

Legend
Something like this?

Occultation
Abjuration
Level: Bard 4, Goat 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Area: A circle with a radius up to 5 ft. per two levels
Duration: 13 hours plus 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The warded area becomes difficult to perceive by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, scry, locate object or detect spells. It also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against a creature or item within the area warded by this spell, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast occultation or the divination fails.

The spellcaster who cast occultation does not need to make caster level checks to use divination in the spell's area of effect.

Summon Coven
If a goatling uses Spell Magnitude empowerment and Summon Coven with an occultation spell, the empowerment's enhancement bonus to caster level applies to the spell's duration and area of effect. Any goatling who participates in a summon coven spell to enhance an occultation is considered a "caster", and the resulting spell will not ward against that goatling's divinations.

Looks good, except I'd tweak the first couple of sentences of the final paragraph as follows:

If a goatling uses summon coven to enhance an occultation spell with Spell Magnitude empowerment, the empowerment's enhancement bonus to caster level applies to the occultation's duration and area of effect. Any goatling who participates in a summon coven spell to enhance an occultation is considered a "caster", and the resulting spell will not ward against that goatling's divinations.

Cleon

Legend
Sure. Want to update and move on to the next SLA?

Fine by me.

Updating the Goatling Working Draft.

Looks like we have the lesser binding/greater binding next. We'll need a new name for this power since there's already a 3E spell called binding.

How about "soul cage"?

Here's the Goatmen of Karaja text for the two spells:

Lesser Binding
Range: special
Duration: one per day per level of the caster
Effect: entraps one or more creatures

A lesser binding spell requires the caster to draw on the floor a circle or pentagram and inscribe it with runes defining the creature(s) for which it is intended (monster type or a specific identity, if known). The circle or pentagram can be as much as 1' radius per level of the caster. The creature(s) must be of lower level or have fewer HD than the caster. The process takes one turn for every 10' radius or fraction thereof, after which the spell may be cast, which causes the circle to vanish from sight. From this point forward, it can only be revealed with a detect magic spell and removed with a dispel magic.

The lesser binding is triggered when the named creature enters the circle. If several qualifying creatures step in during the same round, the binding comes into effect when one of them attempts to exit the circle, or if their total HD match or come close to matching the caster's level, whichever happens first. To escape, any single creature exceeding half the caster's HD may save with a -4 penalty vs. paralysis, which dispels the circle. In all other cases, entrapped creature are paralyzed. After the binding was triggered, anyone else can safely go through the circle (which is still invisible). If all those entrapped are carried out of the circle, the binding is dispelled. Once outside the circle, paralysis subsides within 1d4 turns.

The lesser binding is generally used in preparation for a Discerp spell. It can be empowered, which raises the level at which the spell is cast. Making it possible to trap more powerful beings. Although the spell can be attempted once per day, only one lesser binding can remain in existence at one tim. It must be dispelled or its captives removed before the caster may create another. Lesser binding is not subject to Summon Coven.

Greater Binding
Range: special
Duration: one week per level of the caster
Effect: entraps one or more creatures

This spell is an enhanced version of the lesser binding. The size of the circle or pentagram is 3' per level of the caster. When triggered, it summons into being a cage of force large enough to enclose the circle, and sets of heavy chains to restrain its captive(s). The circle and cage can only be dispelled by the ones who cast it.

A cage of force is an invisible spherical prison that is impervious to physical and magical damage, save for a disintegrate spell which can either destroy it or cut a portal into it. It lasts as long as the Greater Binding itself. Its bars allow nothing through larger than a domestic cat.

Chains are strong enough to hold the circle's captive(s). As a whole, chains can withstand up to 10 points of damage per level of the caster. For example a 30th level caster could produce chains strong enough to withstand a total of 300 points of damage. The strength of the chain is reduced by the number of separate restraints. Thus, a humanoid-shaped captive should require possibly four restraints, dropping the strength of each binding to 75 points. A dragon requiring perhaps seven restraints would cause their strength to drop to 42 points each. Chains are impervious to fire and electricity, and require a magical +1 or better bludgeon weapon to be severed. They are permanent and remain in place when the spell ends or is defeated. This enables another Greater Binding to replace a previous one. If damaged, old chains are repaired or replaced with the new spell.

This spell can be empowered as described earlier. A Summon Coven can also alter some of its aspects, with some limitations:

1. Duration can be increased only up to 4 Mystaran years (4 years, 19 days, and 2 hours)
2. The maximum size of the circle is unaffected
3. The chains are limited to a maximum 600 points as a whole; however, they become impervious to magic, and suppress any of the captive's magical abilities.

At 210,000 energy levels (a nation-wide summons), effectively anything can be captured. The only way to defeat the spell is either through a Wish or using a Disintegrate spell to enter the cage, destroy the chains, and remove the captive from the area of effect. The Day of Dread interrupts the spell but does not cancel it. Imprisonment resumes the day after.

freyar

Seems like these are not really the same spell; the first paralyzes low HD critters, while the second physically restrains creatures of any HD. I'd give them completely different names and descriptions. But they do seem like spells rather than unique abilities. Anyway, want to work on the lesser one first?

Remove ads