Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Looks like the "Goat Magic" is the next big challenge. I'm thinking they should be SLAs that the Goatlings gain as they increase in HD. Here's what the original had:

Level 1: Detect Magic once per day (as the 1st level spell).
Level 2: Protection from Evil once per day (as the 1st level spell).
Level 3: Discerp once per full moon (new 2nd level spell).
Level 3: Empower once per round (innate ability).
Level 3: Lesser Binding once per day (new 2nd level spell).
Level 5: Veil once per day (new spell 3rd level).
Level 5: Dispel Magic once per day (as the 3rd level spell).
Level 7: Dimension Door once per day (as the 4th level spell).
Level 7: Sunfire Whip once per day (new 4th level spell).
Level 9: Contact Outer Planes once per week (as the 5th level spell).
Level 9: Magic Jar once per month (as the 5th level spell).
Level 11: Greater Binding once per month (new 6th level spell).
Level 11: Anti-Magic Shell once per day (as the 6th level spell).
Level 15: Summon Coven once per month (new 7th level spell).

Most of those are standard spells and we've already done Discerp and Empowerment.

That leaves Veil, Lesser and Greater Binding, Sunfire Whip and Summon Coven.

The original Summon Coven has no hard-and-fast rules about what it can do. I'm thinking we should write it up as a technique to gather (and potentially store) empowerment points that can be used to boost Goat Magic veil and binding spells, but we could say there are rumors it can be used to create other effects such as a wish or epic spell.

There's some similarity between Lesser and Greater Binding and the binding spell, so we can probably crib some bits off that. We might want to change the name so it's not confused with the SRD binding spell.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, we already gave Discerp and Empower to all goatlings. I definitely agree with renaming the two bindings. Anyways, veil first? Seems like we could crib from any number of anti-divination spells.

Cleon

Legend
Well, we already gave Discerp and Empower to all goatlings. I definitely agree with renaming the two bindings. Anyways, veil first? Seems like we could crib from any number of anti-divination spells.

I was thinking of doing them in the same order as the original, which would put lesser binding first, but I'd be fine converting veil if you prefer.

Come to think of it, I recall there already is a 3E spell called veil, so we should rename that too.

freyar

Yes, we definitely need to rename veil. I have to say, I find the write-up of veil in the goatling magic a bit confusing, at least when it talks about the "Great Veil of Darkness," though that might be more clear when I have time to go through summon coven. In any case, though, most of veil reads a lot like nondetection in 3.5. I know, there are some differences in the details, but I'm not sure the differences are enough to validate a whole new conversion.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, we definitely need to rename veil. I have to say, I find the write-up of veil in the goatling magic a bit confusing, at least when it talks about the "Great Veil of Darkness," though that might be more clear when I have time to go through summon coven. In any case, though, most of veil reads a lot like nondetection in 3.5. I know, there are some differences in the details, but I'm not sure the differences are enough to validate a whole new conversion.

There's at least one significant difference - it covers an area of effect instead of single creature or object. The "Great Veil" is just an ordinary veil spell that's been cast with lots and lots of empowerment points that have been gathered using summon coven.

I think we'd better stat it up. How's this:

Occultation
Abjuration (Goat Magic)
Level: Goat 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Area: 10 ft. radius circle
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The warded area becomes difficult to perceive by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, scry, locate object or detect spells. It also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against a creature or item within the area warded by this spell, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast occultation or the divination fails.

The spellcaster who cast occultation does not need to make caster level checks to use divination in the spell's area of effect. Any goatling who participates in a summon coven spell to enhance an occultation is considered a "caster", and the resulting spell will not ward against that goatling's divinations.

Empowerment
A goatling can empower this spell in one or both of the following ways. There is no limit to how many empowerment points can be spent on these empowerments.
  1. For every empowerment points spent, the radius of the spell's area increases by 5 ft.
  2. For every 3 empowerment points spent, the spell's caster level gains a +1 enhancement bonus.

freyar

The original write-up of veil says that the range is "caster" with it affeting a "radius 3' per experience level of the caster." I'd say that sounds like it covers a single creature. I think I'd rather just switch to nondetection.

Cleon

Legend
The original write-up of veil says that the range is "caster" with it affeting a "radius 3' per experience level of the caster." I'd say that sounds like it covers a single creature. I think I'd rather just switch to nondetection.

I will have to disagree with you there.

The goatlings use their veil power to conceal their settlements - or even their entire country - from being detected by their enemies. It can't only cover a single creature, indeed the description is clear it's an area effect "Within the affected area, none of the detection/divination spells can function". It could be an emanation from a single creature, I suppose, which means that the "Great Veil Goatling" has to stay in the middle of Kavaja.

The "Range: caster" just means it's centered on wherever the caster is. The Discerp also has a range of "caster" but the goatling is not limited to sucking out its own Hit Dice - the Discerp description says it can discerp within a radius of 20' per level.

Which reminds me, we didn't include a range for Discerp in the Goatling Working Draft. Better fix that.

I'm thinking either "The victim must be physically or magically restrained in some way and within 60 ft. of the goatling." or "Discerp has a range of 20 ft. per HD of the goatling and the victim must be physically or magically restrained in some way."

Which do you prefer?

freyar

For discerp, I like your first option but with 30 ft rather than 60.

OK, you've convinced me to go with Occultation. However, rather than listing a special "empowerment" section under Occultation, I'd allow the Spell Magnitude empowerment option to affect (1) area of effect and (2) SLAs.

Remove ads