Goonalan's- Forges of the Mountain King PC- Dwarves Only

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
:( 100 gp are not enough to start with an adventurer's kit (necessary IMHO) and even a hide armor in addition to two waraxes.
So I chose a less bad AC first level option and will take dwarven weapon training at second level. Maybe I will able to upgrade to waraxes then...[/QUOTE]

Take the waraxes now, if you wish- they were a gift from a grizzled uncle veteran of the Goblin Wars or some such- give the axes names by all means and kiss them both three times before you go to sleep each night.

Thorgrim is a Wildaxe at heart remember.

Cheers Goonalan

Walking Dad

First Post
Thanks... this will mean he will only have an AC of 14 at the beginning (hide armor), but I feel more comfortable to change this later to hide than changing my heirloom weapons.

Or could we just say it is a chainmail but provides me with only hide bonus until I get the proficiency feat? Same mechanical effect, but this is nicer for the role-playing.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Thanks... this will mean he will only have an AC of 14 at the beginning (hide armor), but I feel more comfortable to change this later to hide than changing my heirloom weapons.

Or could we just say it is a chainmail but provides me with only hide bonus until I get the proficiency feat? Same mechanical effect, but this is nicer for the role-playing.

Of course it's Chainmail- it just so happens it came with the war axes from the same grizzled Uncle and is pretty much cut to ribbons- but Thorgrim couldn't say no to the old guy- besides Uncle said it was 'lucky'. So you have some of the worst looking chainmail around... ragged, ripped, battered and burnt- you look like a veteran.

But as of yet don't have the AC of actual Chainmail.

Cheers Goonalan

PS How many games do you play in/DM?

larryfinnjr

First Post
Random thoughts and musings as we begin to settle in:

- First off, I'm Larry (did the logon name give it away? ;) ), nearly 40, and a long-time role-player. I'm currently DMing two 4e campaigns (one started a year ago at 1st lvl and is now at 12th, the other just started and is at 2nd) as well as playing in two occassional campaigns and LFR when I can find the time. I'm a husband of 16 years, father of two (ages 3 and 8), full-time executive assistant to a corporate vice president and Army Reservist of 17 years. And I'm damn glad to meet you all!

- So it looks like some are using pen&paper and others the old CB to create their characters. I'd be more than willing to assist in offering up other suggestions for powers/feats when the times come (things available now on the current CB).

- IMHO one of the biggest "problems" I've found with 4e PbPs is combat. 4e combat is so tabletop driven that it can easily bog down a great story for days at a time while combat rounds go by. Problem to the problem is there's no great way to mitigate this. 90% of everything we put into character creation applies directly to combat. Whatever tricks you can gin up to get from story to the required combat and back to story again will be greatly appreciated by all (including you, Goonalan).

- I'm also in another PbP here on EnWorld. The DM uses MS Excell to make very rudimentary maps, codes the players and monsters (i.e., P1, P2, etc. / Z(ombie)1, Z2, etc.), and provide x,y coordinates so we can state our movements (i.e., "I move from H2 to I7 avoiding difficult terrain, putting me in flank w/ P3 vs. Z3"). Works decent enough.

- While stats are good and necessary, I do hope to get a little character flavor from Kazzigan and Thorgrim in time! :) And Pinotage, I concur wholeheartedly with Goonalans's comments regarding your ability #s. You'll find in 4e (MARKEDLY different from 3e and 3.5) that unless you're strutting at least a 17 in your primary stat, it becomes quite difficult to keep up with scaling as the levels progress. Unlike previous editions, there are no 'jack of all trades' when it comes to ability scores - you're expected to kick in high right from the start. Oh and for both you and Hairychin - don't forget you can always lower one ability to 8, freeing up 2 points to spend elsewhere. Not that you HAVE to, and not that you even have to do the things I'm saying here...as Goonalan said, this IS a role-playing game. :)

- Goonalan - is this the kind of thing where you're hoping to take us from 1-30? Or just a one-shot adventure-type thing?

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Random thoughts and musings as we begin to settle in:

- First off, I'm Larry (did the logon name give it away? ;) ), nearly 40, and a long-time role-player. I'm currently DMing two 4e campaigns (one started a year ago at 1st lvl and is now at 12th, the other just started and is at 2nd) as well as playing in two occassional campaigns and LFR when I can find the time. I'm a husband of 16 years, father of two (ages 3 and 8), full-time executive assistant to a corporate vice president and Army Reservist of 17 years. And I'm damn glad to meet you all!

- So it looks like some are using pen&paper and others the old CB to create their characters. I'd be more than willing to assist in offering up other suggestions for powers/feats when the times come (things available now on the current CB).

- IMHO one of the biggest "problems" I've found with 4e PbPs is combat. 4e combat is so tabletop driven that it can easily bog down a great story for days at a time while combat rounds go by. Problem to the problem is there's no great way to mitigate this. 90% of everything we put into character creation applies directly to combat. Whatever tricks you can gin up to get from story to the required combat and back to story again will be greatly appreciated by all (including you, Goonalan).

- I'm also in another PbP here on EnWorld. The DM uses MS Excell to make very rudimentary maps, codes the players and monsters (i.e., P1, P2, etc. / Z(ombie)1, Z2, etc.), and provide x,y coordinates so we can state our movements (i.e., "I move from H2 to I7 avoiding difficult terrain, putting me in flank w/ P3 vs. Z3"). Works decent enough.

- While stats are good and necessary, I do hope to get a little character flavor from Kazzigan and Thorgrim in time! :) And Pinotage, I concur wholeheartedly with Goonalans's comments regarding your ability #s. You'll find in 4e (MARKEDLY different from 3e and 3.5) that unless you're strutting at least a 17 in your primary stat, it becomes quite difficult to keep up with scaling as the levels progress. Unlike previous editions, there are no 'jack of all trades' when it comes to ability scores - you're expected to kick in high right from the start. Oh and for both you and Hairychin - don't forget you can always lower one ability to 8, freeing up 2 points to spend elsewhere. Not that you HAVE to, and not that you even have to do the things I'm saying here...as Goonalan said, this IS a role-playing game. :)

- Goonalan - is this the kind of thing where you're hoping to take us from 1-30? Or just a one-shot adventure-type thing?

From what I've seen here for the PBP then 1-30 could take us the rest of our natural lives... I'll settle for the one-off with a caveat that if all's well at the end of our adventures then... more to come.

Regards the combat then the maps are going to be better than Excell, you'll see- I think I've solved all my issues with them so they're ready to run, but we'll see.

Having looked around here I note combat can get a little drawn out, I'd like to see what play out first- just to see how it goes real-time; if it's too slow then I'll be open to suggestions- although I have a fair few of my own.

I'll introduce myself properly, as Larry has, a little later- today I'm mostly at work, I'm a Higher Education Lecturer, Thursday is my busiest day- after work it's a tight turn around and then I play D&D 4e via Maptools and Skype with a bunch of reprobates from all over the globe.

More to come, but thanks Larry for breaking the ice- if you wish to introduce yourself then please feel free, not compulsory however- the shadowy and enigmatic are as welcome here.

Cheers Goonalan.

Pinotage

Explorer
Goonalan said:
The rest of it looks okay only your stats seem a little underpowered for the following reasons, to begin with Dwarves Now get +2 Con and a +2 for either Strength or Wisdom.

Paladin favours probably Wisdom 3rd best, Charisma 2nd best and Strength primary- I realise you only have the PHB but there seem to be a lot more powers that are reliant on Str over Cha- having said that you can easily do it the other way around and go for primary Cha, second best Strength- the problem with this is you get a free +2 to your strength (if you take it instead of Wisdom), so you can clearly get a higher Strength score than Charisma- if you wanted to.

A lot of players just use the arrays to build their characters, the usual arrays are-
16,14,14,11,10,10- the all rounder
or
18,14,11,10,10,8- the top heavy
or
16,16,12,11,11,8- the master class

Thanks for the useful info. I didn't realise dwarves could take Str or Wis. I saw a lot powers use the Wis ability modifier, hence why I thought +2 there would be useful. And I was going for primary Charisma because it fit the character concept better. The Str would be nice, but I like the all round build. I was just using the standard array from the PHB. I'll think about your suggestions and maybe adjust a few things. Will hopefully finish the build tonight and then post it before the weekend.

Thanks a lot!

Pinotage

Walking Dad

First Post
PS How many games do you play in/DM?
Just look at the list:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4164992-post52.html

Currently I DMing only 2 but play in ca 22 (some of the game have slowed down to the point they are effectively pending).

Will get the less AC -> more damage version posted this evening.

I'm one of the enigmatic players ;)

But I'm from Germany and got two kids and like comics, including "The Walking Dead" (this would explain my screen name). Just call me WD, nearly everyone here does.

Ressurectah

First Post
Hello

Greetings and salutations,
I will be joining you soon with my mighty Thundergut! That is Krogan Thundergut.. not so mighty barbarian (at least if you were looking at him). I will post his introduction later in the day, attached with a CB file.
My name is Zoran and I have been playing with Paul for over 2 years now via skype. If he is going to be half as good here as he is over with the Thursaday Knights, we are in for a great ride!
Just wanted to say HI to all of you, and looking forward to sharing this adventure with my band of brothers...ž
Cheers

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Greetings and salutations,
I will be joining you soon with my mighty Thundergut! That is Krogan Thundergut.. not so mighty barbarian (at least if you were looking at him). I will post his introduction later in the day, attached with a CB file.
My name is Zoran and I have been playing with Paul for over 2 years now via skype. If he is going to be half as good here as he is over with the Thursaday Knights, we are in for a great ride!
Just wanted to say HI to all of you, and looking forward to sharing this adventure with my band of brothers...ž
Cheers

Damn... No pressure then, kidding- glad to have you on board. Looking forward to meeting Thundergut.

Cheers Goonalan

Ressurectah

First Post
Krogan Thundergut

Thunderous roar echoed through the dirty and dump halls of Meatpacking district. It was during the lunch time that all of the workers sat side by side and ate their hard earned lunch. No one even bothered to acknowledge the sound, and they just kept eating and drinking like nothing happened. When the next one bellowed, this time it was accompanied with the smell....and that smell was to much for even the sturdiest/ sense depraved muck eating, meat cleaving son of a dwarf!

" That does it! " said Rimrock.. " This is the last straw. Bring that poison ox here- NOW!
Couple of fellows that were siting near Rimrock, were all to eager to oblige. They quickened their steps and went to fetch Krogan. They all knew where he sat, without even trying. Blind and deaf person could...
Several moments later, Krogan stood in front of Rimrock, still knee deep in his half of roasted dire Boar. Whitout taking his grin of the face, he stood there, mulling the meat between his strong teeth.
" Krogan...By the power of Union Council and all that we hold holly in this prideful craft that we love, we have chosen you to be our representative in stacking the claim on our share of the glory in the Lost Hold. You shall be the greatest hero that ever graced our halls! "
" Hugh?" said Krogan still chewing his food.
" Pavlgu, Kosta fetch that dirty bundle out of my office, and get that rusted axe out of the locker... Krogan, my boy, make us proud! "
" He, he, he...yessir " Krogan happily accepted the responsibility..
For Rimrock, that was an easy decision. With one blow he would take care of several problems. He was not that impressed with Master Ignatius speech, but he saw that other clans were preparing there best candidates to compete for the glory of their clans. He didnt want the pressure of explaining how he tought that the whole idea smelled like...well, like Krogans thundergut.. but instead he put forth the champion of his own and avoided unnecessary confrontation. On the other hand, seeing, hearing and smelling Krogan eat day after day in the cafeteria made him sick to his stomach, and having some peace and quiet was not that bad. Thirdly.. it was a principle of mathematics for Rimrock. Krogan worked like 3 dwarves, but he ate like 7 of them...

"Well, I hope that happy OX will find some good dwarfs to cover his back..." Rimrock said with a bitter sweet sound to his words....

Attachments

• Krogan.dnd4e
    90.5 KB · Views: 111

Remove ads