D&D Product Announcements

MrMyth

First Post
Thanks for the update Jack, where did we hear that?

Today's Rule of Three, I believe.

"The D&D Adventure Tools update that includes the features to build and more fully adjust monsters is currently scheduled for the tail end of summer, which in this case means September."

Not a guarantee, but seems promising.

Pour

First Post

"The D&D Adventure Tools update that includes the features to build and more fully adjust monsters is currently scheduled for the tail end of summer, which in this case means September."

My hope is that they realize how quickly people latch onto time frames once announced and are confident it will be September.

Erdrick Dragin

Banned
Banned
DND product announcement Blog of Holding

So what does everyone think of all the news?

Call me excited not just for specific news (the return of miniatures in non-random, themed sets is really, really exciting... and even more so that next August's setting is going to be something NEW, a twist never before seen...) but the idea that they are moving forward! Everything released today sounds like that are taking informed steps forward, exploring new design space, pushing ideas, continuing 4e's evolution. Man I am pumped!

The only thing I see on there that has me stoked is they're looking into republishing older editions.

I wonder if this means they're reprinting old edition books, creating new books for older editions, or simply just allowing people to purchase PDFs of older edition books.

I really hope it's publishing new books for older editions. If they do that, their number of customers will skyrocket! They'll have on board people across 4 1/2 editions of the game spending money back on D&D again. I'm sure of it, since I know so many people still even playing 1e to this day.

Rather than split the fan base 4 different ways (5 if you count losing them to Paizo), bring them all back together!

Delgar

First Post
But if I can still only print one monster to an uneditable PDF format, it still remains completely useless to me!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The only thing I see on there that has me stoked is they're looking into republishing older editions.

I wonder if this means they're reprinting old edition books, creating new books for older editions, or simply just allowing people to purchase PDFs of older edition books.

I really hope it's publishing new books for older editions. If they do that, their number of customers will skyrocket! They'll have on board people across 4 1/2 editions of the game spending money back on D&D again. I'm sure of it, since I know so many people still even playing 1e to this day.

Rather than split the fan base 4 different ways (5 if you count losing them to Paizo), bring them all back together!
I would strongly suspect that it would involve making older material available via DDI

That would be my guess too. There was a full set of books put out on CDROM along with some software as I recall way back when. They can just slap those files up on DDI and you have access to all the books etc.

Frankly I doubt they're going to put any real huge effort into older editions. It seems more like a "hey, it isn't going to hurt us to do this, it will get us a few happy smiles and won't cost much." kind of thing. Truthfully AD&D stuff is easy to find dirt cheap all over the place anyway. There's not really any money to be made reprinting a book you can already get copies of online, often for almost pocket change. Even the slightest word they touched in any book would just get criticism from some quarter, and editing and relaying out is expensive.

I could see some level of community support though. A section of their wiki set up for each edition and some better organized 'older editions' forums.

Erdrick Dragin

Banned
Banned
What about new material for older editions? Not a book, probably, but DDi articles such as "Combat Maneuvers for 1e" article, "Prestige Classes as Kits" for a 2e article, and "Paragon Paths as Prestige Classes" for a 3.5e article (or similiar themes, like new feats, spells, monster conversions, etc.)

Why don't they do that!? That can rake in tons of cash and fans.

Ehhhhh, would they though? If they put it on DDI that is filled with 4e people, and I don't think anyone else is going to sign up on the off chance they get an article every so often on their favorite edition. It might convince SOMEONE to sign up for DDI that was on the fence, but I am skeptical it would make a noticeable difference.

They could put them out as free content, or sell them in some other way like PDFs or something, but will there really be tons of demand? I'm pretty skeptical there's a vast demand for AD&D stuff. There is SOME, but are any of the existing OSR products even breaking even? Most of them seem like people running a game business as a hobby. If you have the money to do that you can put out almost anything and hopefully you don't lose much and you have fun. WotC would have to justify it. They might do so in terms of goodwill/advertising vs actual money made, but then the real reasoning for it business-wise is 'sell more 4e' because that's what pays the bills.

Remove ads