• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Product Announcements

HDTVDinner

First Post
Anyone else think the release of PHB:Heroes mini line, then back to random-blind rarity then back to open-view packaging is a little odd? What specifically wasn't working the first time that would work now? I mean, I for one am happy, but still my curiosity has me wondering.

Also, could someone rep online DM for me a few posts up?

I am betting that since it appears to be card based, we will see some booster packs of advanced tactics available along side these ala fate cards.

Blood Jester

First Post
New Runepriest info

I'm most excited about the Kanji Runepriest.

Not for the Kanji part, but just that finally there is (even if only a little) more support for the Runepriest.

After being introduced, it seems to have gotten zero follow-up.

the Jester

Legend
The thing that I like best about the kanji runepriest is the kanji bit; I think it's very cool that they're exploring different possibilities with it. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The PHB:Heroes were non-random minis targeted at players, while the new non-random packs sound as if they are targeted at DMs. I think that's a fairly significant difference.

Quite right: it's a huge difference.

I'm guessing that the range of minis will be a lot smaller than under DDM, though. Basic packs of "pack of orcs", "pack of goblins", etc. and perhaps a couple of "weird monster packs" at some point, but not much more.

Cheers!

JoeGKushner

First Post
Doesn't seem to be a lot of book coming out down the line that we didn't already know about. the non-random miniature thing should be interesting to see in action against Paizo's latest efforts. I suspect price on the secondary market may have a huge hand in how that shakes out.

The rest of it? It's good to hear some potential coming down the line but since WoTC has to react to things as they happen, these intentions are worthless. I don't say that as point of WoTC being an evil vile being, but the will check and recheck and file and format and forget whatever they think is not working.

This quarter's products no working? Shelf them. Player's Handbook getting reprinted with errata? Er... we've got so many of them in print that there are no plans for such. PDF's of actual books? Er... 'soon'!

And I'm not saying this to put them in the corner. They'll do what they think they have to and react on sales data.

The only thing I'm really bummed about is the # of random card packs coming out. Little bastards must be selling well. Ah well. Perhaps that 4.5 RPG with Random Mini-Random Card component theory isn't that far off.

Pour

First Post
The only thing I'm really bummed about is the # of random card packs coming out. Little bastards must be selling well. Ah well. Perhaps that 4.5 RPG with Random Mini-Random Card component theory isn't that far off.

This might deserve a thread all its own documenting people's experiences, but today the shop had a grab box for $1 a random card, including promos, rares and every other type. They must have made a couple of hundred dollars on that alone. Some of the more competitive players were eating them up, tending for $10, $20 dollars or more on decks, and because the Neverwinter bags had two fortune cards each, even new players were picking up $5-$10 worth. I know they're going to be clutch in Lair Assault, and to be honest running in a group of 4 at game day (versus 6 at the other tables) those cards saved our lives, so I anticipate the appeal will only grow from there.

Incenjucar

Legend
Quite right: it's a huge difference.

I'm guessing that the range of minis will be a lot smaller than under DDM, though. Basic packs of "pack of orcs", "pack of goblins", etc. and perhaps a couple of "weird monster packs" at some point, but not much more.

Cheers!

I just hope they produce decent collections of beasts and odd-shaped things so it will be easy to have a collection of roughly-appropriate creatures to stand in for anything in the game. Details don't matter so much, but it can be hard to use minis that don't share the basic silhouette of whatever they're actually supposed to be.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would like to see a large set of creatures designed at once and releeased piecemeal so they all stand together and look good together.

Overall DDM are good with this, but not always, especially with large creatures, who really vary in height and girth.

Remove ads