The Shackled City - Golarion Prelude

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Well, she seems to know what she's doing . . . I'm not sure attacking fire creatures with fire is the best way to go, but then I'm just a city boy; I've never seen or heard of anything like this.

"Time to move, people! Less than a minute! Let's get these wagons rolling and get outta th' way of the crawlies! MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!"

He moves among the animals, swatting them on the haunches and 'encouraging' them to get in motion.

[sblock=Actions]Val doesn't have Handle Animal so he doesn't have any mechanical way of getting the beasties moving other than getting their handlers to move them, and is not well prepared for swarm attacks (who is, really?). About as useful as teats on a boar for all I can think of for him to do . . . an auspicious start to the game, right?[/sblock]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn does not move when told to. Instead, he is more attuned to the insects, as he tries to form his own plan. He looks at the path they came from, as well as the trees. Checking to see what their damage to the area was, he wonders if they would have a better chance allowing the insects to move along while trying to get out of their way.

[sblock=Actions]Svexyn will not act yet, as he wants to note if the insects are causing the area to burn. He wants to see if the trees are undamaged and if there are animals that are in the branches, able to allow the insects to move along without harm to themselves.

Depending on the results, he will act.[/sblock]

ahayford

First Post
[sblock="Svexyn"]You are able to detect no major fires along the beetles route. For the most part the have trampled the underbrush and small plants, leaving what will be a game trail for months to come. Some trees have been stripped bare at ground level, but most of the large trees are otherwise unharmed.[/sblock]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
"Hold up. They don't seem to be too keen on climbing anything if they have a route to follow. Look at the trees, they won't swarm up them. Think of it like water, traveling the path that is easiest. If you're thinking of using fire on them, I think it's useless. Might be best to simply secure the gate and get rid of the oil. Otherwise, if they ignite that stuff in here or near the gates, we're all going up in flames."

Svexyn tries to think of the best course of action, deciding that the girl had some idea of what to do. Seeing that they don't seem to want to climb anything if they can simply keep on moving, perhaps they had a chance to survive.

Svexyn runs to the tools and boards, pointing to the items as well. "Take the tools, nails, boards and roof panels to the gate. We've got to get it boarded up to keep them out. They should see that there is no entrance and head elsewhere. Get everyone up on higher ground as well if they can..."

He moves with a hammer, nails and a few boards if he can manage them all. As he nears the gate, he attempts to close it with his innate ability, as long as the others are inside. If Nia insists on using the meat to lure the things to the gate entrance and burning them, he simply adds, "You can throw the stuff over the gate and walls. It will take some time to get it secured, and I don't think it matters how scattered the oil and food gets."

[sblock=Actions]Svexyn will attempt to shore up the gate, first by using his ability to open/close at will. He will then use boards to secure the gate, and the roof panels to continue with shoring up the gate. He tries to point out any openings that the creatures can swarm through, telling anyone nearby to help in sealing them off.[/sblock]

ahayford

First Post
OOC: 1 Round Passes

Nia decides any plan is better then no plan and quickly puts hers into motion. She yells to the anyone that will listen to assist her in carrying wood, oil, and meat to the front gate. Marcus and Caytis assists in her efforts, hauling food and firewood out to the gate while helping to keep the outpost morale up. Wilbur helps where he can, carrying what he can and helping to light the way with his...spoon.

Svexyn has a plan of his own. In addition to Nia's distraction, Svexyn decides to attempt to shore up the gate against the oncoming horde. He grabs what tools he can, a few of the workers and Orin joining his efforts.

Valinnan stays with Maavu's caravan, helping to motviate the porters who are loading food onto the pack animals and carts. Though he knows little of animals, he does everything he can to speed up the loading process.

OOC: Rolls incoming

Last edited:

ahayford

First Post
OOC: Hey guys...I have a big update on my PC at home...but my internet died right when I finished it. I will try again tonight when I get home from work. If I can't get the post up tonight I will try and go another route.

ahayford

First Post
OOC: I know, I actually noticed I'd been saying it wrong in my brain last night, and corrected it in the above post where I could. I couldn't correct it on the roll text. I don't know why I did that. My apologies.

ahayford

First Post
For a moment, the sight of an enraged native woman brandishing a spear is more terrifying to the guards than the oncoming rush of insects. Both the outpost and the remaining caravan guards drop their weapons by the gate and begin hauling wood, oil and food to the gate. Adofo himself joins the bucket brigade, fully aware he cannot hope to stand against the tide of beetles himself. All told, 6 outpost guards, Adofo, and 2 caravan guards assist in the efforts in addition to Nia, Wilbur, Marcus and Caytis.

Marcus's great strength allows him to carry twice the load of an average person and move nimbly between the Roadhouse and the gate. Nia loads him up with two giant sides of pork before sending him to the gate. Despite his recent ordeal, Wilbur manages to carry a heavy clay vase of oil, and has so far...not dropped it. Caytis loads himself up with firewood, but overloads himself, dropping many pieces on his way to the gate. He curses his clumsiness, until he notices Nia also struggling with her load. She manages to only drop a few pieces of firewood, but her curses would make milk curdle. The guardsman grab what they can carry, carrying several loads of wood, meat, and oil to help bulk up the distraction.

Meenwhile, Svexyn loads up on boards and nails yelling to Orin about his intentions to shore up the gate. Immediately latching onto the idea of defending his output, Orin snaps out of his shock and runs to the shed by the roadhouse to get more supplies. Using his skill at trapmaking, Svexyn quickly identifies several weak points on the gate hinges and lock mechanism. Using nails and several pieces of wood, he builds several clever tension mechnisms to help reinforce the gate hinges.

Valinnan rallies Maavu and his porters keeping their minds focused on the task at hand rather then on the thousands of ravenous fire beetles about to march into the gate. Although not trained in animal handling, Valinnan seems to have a way with animals. He is able to keep the beasts calm despite the agitation of their human masters. Despite this, his attempts to help load food onto their backs are met with requests to stay out of the porter's way. Valinnan manages to shave 4 minutes off the load time.

Without guidance, Garthun's men break. They run out the east gate and down the road toward Cauldron.

OOC: Round 2

Marcus moves swiftly across the courtyard, inspiring the other carriers to keep up the pace.

Svexyn continues his work on the hinges and lock mechanism.

Valinnan continues moving amongst Maavu’s workers, keeping things under control. He witnesses Garthun’s men rush out the east gate.

OOC: Round 3

Nia and her army of helpers arrive at the west gate, the swarm is so close that the chittering rattles the bones of your skull, making it difficult to concetrate. Caytis starts a wood pile just outside the gate. Marcus throws the meat hastily upon the wood like some kind of obscene funeral pile. The vase of oil shattered upon the pyre unceremoniously as Wilbur hurls it on top.

Orin finally arrives at the gate with his tools and he and Svexyn slam it shut as the last of the offerings are tossed outside. Orin busily hammers boards over the gaps and spaces between the gate and the stone structure of the wall with serveral iron nails hanging from his lips. Svexyn finishes attaching his tension mechanisms and quickly begins assisting Orin.

Valinnan continues to rush the porters, the buzzing a constant reminder of danger approaching.

OOC: Round 4

Svexyn and Orin continue to reinforce the gate.

OOC: Round 5

The swarm has arrived. The beetles reach the banquet left for them and go into a frenzy. The animal carcasses are completely covered with a writing black carpet of insects. The distraction does seem to break the cohesion of the swarm, as a large percentage stop to satiate their hunger, but the feast is not near enough. Still more continue towards the outpost. Its hard to tell how long the rest of the swarm will stay occupied with their meal.

The first wave of beetles slam against the gate causing it to bow inward, its hinges shaking violently. Svexyn and Orin's hasty modifications to the gate seem to be holding....for now. Occasionally a few smaller insects topple over the top of the gate as the wave ebbs and flows, but are easily dispatched on their own. Each time the beetles crash against the gate, the hinges squeal and the stone groans. These gates were not meant to repel a direct assault.

As the swarm breaks against the gate it splits in two, moving along the circumference of the the compound wall. The buzzing intensifies as the sound presses in from all sides. However, your efforts have had an effect, as their numbers are dwindling.

Valinnan and the porters have been very successful, they need about another minute to have half the cargo loaded. Another five and they will have completely loaded the food.

Remove ads