The Shackled City - Golarion Prelude

ahayford

First Post
The West Gate

Svexyn deftly clambers up the gate, looking more like the inn's namesake than man. As he peers over the stone arch of the gate, he sees the still hungry flames consuming the remains of the pyre. Those beetles not lucky enough to escape roast and pop and in their shells. Svexyn glances down at the base of the gate to confirm his fears. Several adult beetles and a host of smaller beetles are frantically digging at the earth beneath the gate to escape the heat of the flames. They seem to be making progress and you expect they could emerge inside at any moment. While not the bulk of the swarm, you guess they could still wreck some havoc.

Marcus and Nia organize the remaining guardsmen into defensive positions as Svexyn relays the information. Adofo hefts his heavy sword and laughs boldly

A heroic last stand! HAHA! This I can understand

Adofo spits into his palms and takes a defensive stance with the rest of the warriors

Orin calmly picks up his cudgel and stands next to Marcus, obviously willing to fight and die to protect his homestead.

[sblock=ooc]All those at the west gate, please roll initiative.[/sblock]

Tamecia's Cart

Caytis rushes across the courtyard to aid Tamecia and her girls. As you get closer to the cart you can make out the tell-tale glow of fire beetles against the wall. You are unsure of where they have come from, but it looks as if there is only a small number harrassing the cart. The younger hillfolk have begun swinging lose boards, sticks, and whatever they can get their hands on to keep the beetles out of the cart. A sickening crunch, followed by Tamecia's crazed laughter signals a kill for cook.

Come on den crawlies. Who be next in me pot? I got a recipe for beetle stew I just be dying to try.

Despite her recent victory, you can tell the cart will soon be overwhelmed.

[sblock=ooc]You will arrive next round. Please roll initiative[/sblock]

On the East Road

Wilbur watches over his shoulder as the two arms of the swarm encircle the outpost. Garthuns men continue to run with him. Several porters have to dodge out of the way as an unhitched horse gallops down the road on its way out of the Lucky Monkey. Its eyes are crazed and it is clearly spooked.

At the East Gate

Valinnan looks on as the work of the porters is nearly complete. It won't be long now before the caravan can move. Valinnan looks up from his work when he notices the sounds of terrified animals. Across the courtyard, in Garthun's camp, He sees the animals being harassed by several large beetles. Somehow they have gotten inside the wall. The beetles are tearing into Garthun's cargo, consuming anything they can find. Marcus, Nia, and Svexyn have not seen the threat to their flank as their focus is on the front gate.

You also notice the sound of the swarm is getting louder. The beeltes are making their way around the walls of the outpost all will arrive at the east gate soon.

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin, half-elf magus

Caytis rushes across the courtyard to aid Tamecia and her girls. As you get closer to the cart you can make out the tell-tale glow of fire beetles against the wall. You are unsure of where they have come from, but it looks as if there is only a small number harrassing the cart. The younger hillfolk have begun swinging lose boards, sticks, and whatever they can get their hands on to keep the beetles out of the cart. A sickening crunch, followed by Tamecia's crazed laughter signals a kill for cook.

Come on den crawlies. Who be next in me pot? I got a recipe for beetle stew I just be dying to try.

Despite her recent victory, you can tell the cart will soon be overwhelmed.

"We have more over here!" Caytis calls out. He hunkers down, weapon at the ready, looking to skewer as many of the bugs as he can.

OOC: Initiative roll below. Since I don't know if I beat them, I'll hold off making any specific attack rolls.

Initiative (1d20+2=17)

[sblock=mini-stats]
HP: 10/10 AC: 15(19) AC(T): 12 AC(FF): 13 Init: +02
BAB: 00 CMB/CMD: 00/12 ACP: -1 ASF: 00 Spot: +05

Conditions: Shield (+4 AC). 9/10 rounds remaining. Current AC: 19

Saving Throw Total Base Mod Misc Special
Fort: 03 2 +1
Ref: 01 0 +2 -1*
Will: 03 2 +1

* -1 Reflex (Wyrm Blooded trait)
** Conditional: Immune sleep, +2 vs enchantments, +4 vs acid

Weapon Attack Damage Critical Special
Quadrens +2 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Quadrens, Spell Combat +0 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Composite Shortbow +2 1d6 20/x3 Range 70 ft.

* Conditional: +1 attack with Arcane Pool enhancement.

Arcane Pool: 5/5 remaining

Spells Prepared:
* 0 Level (3): Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Light
* 1st Level (2, DC 15): Shield, Shield[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Marcus pulls his long guisarme from the sheath on his back. "Last stand? Let's try not to make it the last one for any of us." He casually holds the heavy polearm, ready for any foes to break through.

[sblock=OOC]
Init attached to this post. If my Init is high enough to beat all the beetles, just ready to attack first in reach, then AoOs (3/round, 10-ft. reach). I intend to use Power Attack and Pushing Assault, so Attack +4, 2d4+6 damage per hit and it'll shove any Medium or smaller enemy 5 ft. back.

AC 17 HP 13/13
[/sblock]

ahayford

First Post
[sblock="ooc"]Sorry, I had intended to post some combat maps tonight but I had a long day and am still not a wiz at maptools. I will have an update tomorrow![/sblock]

ahayford

First Post
[sblock="ooc"]Yes, you see scattered jouvenille beetles, but the ones that are harassing Gartun's animals are adult fire beetles.[/sblock]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn looks over to the readied defenders, spotting the owner among them. "If we live through this, you owe me a free meal..."

Svexyn hears the warning from Val, relaying the info to the others. "Try not to get overwhelmed. They don't climb, so we can get to the rooftops and be safe, or stand and fight..."

ahayford

First Post
West Gate

Nia pulls a flaming brand from its sconce on the wall by the gate, holding her spear in one hand and the torch in the other. Despite being their namesake, fire appeared to be a rather effective deterrent to the creatures. The scrabbling under the gate continues until finally the beetles erupt from the earth, fleeing the death wails of their still burning swarm. The beetles are berserk. An adult beetle crush several of the juvenile bugs as it wriggles its way through the narrow opening under the gate.

You have managed to arrange a fairly impressive defensive line, and prepare to meet the bugs head on.

North Wall

Tamecia has become cornered by several beetles, and more seem to have appeared. You notice an open sewer grate near Tamecia's cart. It is likely you have found how the bugs managed to get inside the walls. Caytis raises his weapon and prepares to attack.

East Gate

Val has an excellent view of the battlefield as the porters finish up their labors. He readies his weapon, and prepares to assist his friends.

On The Road
Wilbur continues on towards the main road, trying to escape the manifestation of his deepest nightmares that is slowly enveloping the outpost. Garthun's men run past him, completely routed and desperate to get away from the doomed inn.

Overview
swarmOverview.jpg

West Gate
swarmWestGate.jpg

North Wall
swarmNorthWall.jpg

East Gate
swarmEastGate.jpg

On The Road
swarmRoad.jpg

Remove ads