Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Scotley

Hero
"Since when is it ag'in' the law to slice a zombie, eh? You'd better have a closer look at old Emmit. You'll find that he's been dead far longer than I've been here in this alley. But even so, if he had not attacked me first, I would have left him in peace, instead of in pieces. Do you know a Lady Kendra? I am part of the crew that is working for her."

The sheriff enters the alley at this point. He looks at the half-orc with the halbred in his hand and reaches for his own weapon, then he does a double take on the body. "What in the name of all that's holy is going on here. Old Emmit Woodsman is three weeks dead and gone. Have you turned to grave robbing and mutilating corpses?" The woman had cautiously followed the sheriff into the ally. "Tis stranger still, Old Emmet was up and creapin' about. I seen him." "What do you have to say about all this Besharrn?" asks the sheriff. He sends the deputy for a priest of Pharasma.

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger 3

"The dead man came at me with hunger in his dead eyes and struck at me. Besharrn only defeding self when him met force with force. Old Dead Emmit should have picked other dude to try to eat."

[sblock=stats - Besharrn Blacktusk]

S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11
AC:21[10+7(+1 breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:35/35

Skills: (Ranks 7+7+7 = 21) [CS=Class Skill]
Climb 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8
Intimidate 3 ranks +2 rac'l +3 CS +0cha = +8 [Std act'n-if sucsfl give opp the Shaken condition, -2 att]
[DC to demoralize=10+target's HD+target's Wis mod] [lasts 1rnd + 1rnd for every 5 check exceeds DC]
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3 ranks, +1 Int +2 Favored Terrain +3 CS = +9
Perception 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground]
PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 17 [19 underground]
Stealth 3 ranks +3 dex +3 CS = +9 [+2 underground]
Survival 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground] [+1 (half Ranger Level) to follow tracks]
Swim 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8 [-3 ACP if wearing +1 Magic Breastplate]

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
"That is most disturbing," observes the sheriff. He then is forced to spend some time calming the Goodwife and preventing passersby from coming into the alley for a look. Soon a young priest comes running into the alley with the deputy. He examines the body clinically and then wraps it in a shroud. "Necromancy of some sort is at work here Sheriff. I'll take the body back to the temple for a proper blessing and father Grimbarrow will have to decide how to proceed." He points to a trail of grave dirt, worms and other debris. This didn't start in this alley. "The fellow appears to have come from the direction of the Restlands. I think perhaps an investigation should continue there. It is well that he was stopped before he did more harm. Such undead move slowly, but they are capable of considerable harm." The Sheriff looks troubled and then thanks Besharrn for his service to the community.

Leif

Adventurer

"Besharrn glad to help community. Him just glad him get good blow in before things got worse. Besharrn also thank priest for him help." Besharrn makes it a point not to acknowledge in any way the old, haggish, busybody b*tch who tried to throw him under the bus.

[sblock=stats - Besharrn Blacktusk]

S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11
AC:21[10+7(+1 breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:35/35

Skills: (Ranks 7+7+7 = 21) [CS=Class Skill]
Climb 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8
Intimidate 3 ranks +2 rac'l +3 CS +0cha = +8 [Std act'n-if sucsfl give opp the Shaken condition, -2 att]
[DC to demoralize=10+target's HD+target's Wis mod] [lasts 1rnd + 1rnd for every 5 check exceeds DC]
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3 ranks, +1 Int +2 Favored Terrain +3 CS = +9
Perception 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground]
PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 17 [19 underground]
Stealth 3 ranks +3 dex +3 CS = +9 [+2 underground]
Survival 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground] [+1 (half Ranger Level) to follow tracks]
Swim 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8 [-3 ACP if wearing +1 Magic Breastplate]

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
"My grandfather was a great man! He took time to encourage all the local farm kids to use their imaginations. We would only see him every couple years as it was five days wagon ride to see him but it was always such a treat when we did. The village he lived in was a tight-knit one where folks knew everyone else (sometimes too much about them if you know what I mean). There was one story he told that I remember clear as day of a slyph that was obsessed and blinded by her magic. Now I know you all don't much care for magic and the like but keep in mind, it is just a story so let your mind wander. There was a slyph named Inam. She was of human parents and as such was raised according to human customs, magic not being one of them. One day when Inam was about 13, she caught a glimpse of another of her kind journeying through the town and she immediately found herself consumed with desire to know more about this other slyph. She followed the party as they spent the night, peeking into the window at night and hiding at a corner table as the young male slyph ate his breakfast - seemingly unaware he was being watched. As the group left town to continue their journey, Inam also journeyed out at a safe distance, her curiosity getting the better of her. As the group stopped for mid-day meal, she edged in a little closer to see the young man but could not spot him. A little confused she edged closer, gambling on her self that she was safe. What Inam didn't know was the young male slyph had spotted her, even before she had seen him in the town and drifted from the party when he saw her alone and trailing them. He was now behind her drawing nearer, ever closer. He was soon so close he whispered in her ear... Oh my, I'm afraid I need a minute or two to relieve myself. Would you please excuse me?"

Falco gauges how the two men are reacting to his story -1d20+7=11 - hoping they seem to be engaged and eager to hear the ending. As he leaves their sight, he will cast enhanced diplomacy on himself. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enhanced-diplomacy. He will reenter quickly. As he continues his story, he will concentrate on obtaining the others favor. 1d20+12=30

"Hmmm, now where was I? Oh yes, the male was just about to whisper in Inam's ear. Well, just as he leaned in, she sensed his presence and used a power she didn't even know she had. She didn't know if the being behind her was meaning her harm or not but her sense of self preservation called on something deep inside of her - the whispering wind. The next few seconds were a whirl with spirits moving all around and through the young man, taking little bits of him with them. Soon there was not much left other than his tattered clothes. Inam was completely distressed by what just happened and that she caused it. She ran away but the closer she got to her home, the sadder she became, what if she hurt another person, someone she truly loved? She decided she could not return so left to live out her life alone. As she became more depressed, she retreated inside herself and found strength in that dark place. She soon learned to bring that darkness out in the form of magic, very back magic. It is said she lived for many many years as Feiya - Queen of the Undead. Now you may not know of this witch but in our town this name strikes fear in the hearts of every child so for gand-dad to even mention the name, gets everyone's attention. She is legendary for raising corpses and using them as spies, soldiers and for whatever else she needs.

Wow, now that I hear myself tell it, it is REALLY dark. I tell you I didn't sleep for a couple nights after hearing that one."

Falco silences his tongue and looks into the men's eyes to see where they are.

"Ah, his name was Jambro. He was but a new young guard himself and he did survive that day. He was touched by it though. He turned his hand to farming when the prison closed, but twas said he was a man of great sorrow always regretting that he could not do more to help his fellows. He only told the stories of that time when he was full of drink. But tell us a story of your grandfather. He sounds like a man I would have liked to know." The old fellow seems to have been won over. His friend however, sits with his mouth hanging open shocked at the change in Furd. The mistress of the house blushes a bit at the complement and rushes to bring more drinks then busies herself with lunch.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
The two old fellows looks aghast at the story of dark magic. One even makes the sign of his deity. He finishes up his drink. "Well I"Tis a dark story you tell. We don't much hold with that sort of thing around here. Witches are for burning my old Auntie always said. She used to talk in hushed tones of the Whispering Way to scare us when we misbehaved. We all thought it was guff, but a priest come through here one time preachin' of evil and he said the Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years. He pushes back from the table. "I thank you for the drink and the story, but I've chickens what need tending and Furd's wife is gonna be in here soon looking for blood if he don't git on home." Furd looks hurt, "Now Maudie ain't as bad as all that. If I want to linger over a pint I will." The other fellow grins at him, "You do that Furd, you do that, but when Maudie comes for you don't tell her I was here with you. Is that her I see coming up the street?" The fellow jumps up and downs the rest of his mug. "Good day to you gents. I have important matters to tend to and can't be sittin' here jawin' all day." Furd bolts for the door. The other man gives you a wink and also heads for the door. "I might have chickens, but I'm not the one who's henpecked..." Clearly, the talk of witches and necromancers leaves the old boys more uncomfortable than they are willing to admit. These simply farm folk are not prepared to face such grim Specters.

More folk start to trickle in as lunch approaches.

mleibrock

First Post
Falco returns to his table where Dannis sits, "Well that was a waste of effort and a spell. I really thought I'd have them eating out of my hand. Guess magic is just not something these folks even like to admit exists even when they are not in a crowd denouncing it. Seems their dislike runs to their core being."

Falco will continue to sip his wine until their meal arrives and enjoy the variety and just not being cooped up at Lady Kenda's house. Ever on his guard and thoroughly enjoying the people watching, he will do just so. But being a little into his drink, he has a hard time focusing. 1d20+7=9

Rhun

First Post
Falco returns to his table where Dannis sits, "Well that was a waste of effort and a spell. I really thought I'd have them eating out of my hand. Guess magic is just not something these folks even like to admit exists even when they are not in a crowd denouncing it. Seems their dislike runs to their core being."

"You were doing quite well, I thought," says Dannis, sipping his wine.

Perception Roll: 1d20+3 [roll0]

Edit: Apparently the wine has gone to Dannis' head.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Vadim settles into the old scholar's library with a sigh; although a better than average student, the archaeologist had always preferred the excitement of fieldwork to the tedium of book work. Still, solid research to back up the more active parts of the job were always helpful, so he set to with a will.

After several hours, he leans back in his chair and runs long fingers through his salt and pepper hair, then rubs his eyes wearily. He stands and returns the books to their proper place and exits the room. "Well sir, you were correct - you're library is quite impressive. My skills for research are, unfortunately, more than a little rusty and I was unable to find a hint of the information for which I was looking. If it's OK with you I'll return another day to give it another try."
[/section]

[sblock=Actions]Knowledge (Whatever) (1d20+9=10)[/sblock]

Remove ads